Status: Hoping to upload a chapter every Saturday, a little weekend treat :)

Getting Surreal

IX

It was about twenty minutes and three beers (and more than one shrugged explanation to the group that she just really liked beer) later, when Brian started ushering the group out to the busses.

“Don’t we need to clear off the stage and pack up?” Becks asked Barry, Ray’s guitar tech. Barry, Ray, and she had been wrapped up in a conversation about guitars for the last ten minutes.

“Nah,” he said, “not on a big tour like this. Just have to make sure we’ve got the guitars and shit, and that’s pretty much all we have to do. It’s fuckin’ great!” He smiled toothily then threw his head back, finishing his drink.

“Yeah,” Ray piped up. “Besides, there’s still a band playing.”

Becks just nodded in understanding as Brian walked up to them, waving his arms towards the door. “Come on, go. Go.” The group laughed and headed out, Brian on their heels. When they made it to where the two MCR busses were located, a sudden thought hit Becks.

“Uh, Brian?” She asked, turning to him.

“Hm?” He replied, not taking his eyes off his clipboard.

“I, uh,” she toed at the ground. “Which bus am I on?” At this, he looked up immediately at her.

“Aw, shit.” He looked between the two busses then back at the girl in front of him. “Uh, just give me a sec, okay?” She nodded and watch him bolt off to one of the busses, knocking on the door. “Yo, Gary!” He yelled. “You got room for the new tech on here?”

Becks was trying to listen to what the answer would be, but Frank had just hopped off his bus and come up to her, stealing her attention. “Whatcha doing?” He asked her playfully.

“I still don’t know which bus I’m supposed to be on,” she giggled, swatting his had away when he started playing with the drawstring of her hoodie.

Still?” He pouted at her. “Shit, I’m sorry about that.” He rubbed the back of his neck, also watching Brian as he walked back from the bus to the pair.

“Well, looks like the tech and crew bus is out.” He looked at Frank who grinned ear to ear. “You think you guys can share with a lady?”

Becks tried really hard to bite back the snort when Brian said that, ‘Lady, really? Me?’ but the alcohol in her system made that impossible, earning her amused expressions and cocked eyebrows from both the guys standing with her. “Sorry,” she giggled out, slightly embarrassed. Frank chuckled.

“We’ll be utmost gentlemen!” He beamed and grabbed onto Becks’ hand, pulling her to the bus that was to become her home for the next few weeks.

“That’s what I’m afraid of!” Brian called after them, heading off to do whatever it is tour managers do.

Becks frowned a little at that thought. “He works really hard.” She stated.

“Yeah, yeah.” Frank waved a dismissive sort of hand. “Just don’t him know you think that, he’ll be a complete dick about it and start whining,” he joked, opening the bus door and then stepping aside and gesturing for her to go first, bowing like a gentleman. Becks smiled at him and curtseyed then stepped on the bus, climbing up the steps with Frank in hot pursuit. When she got to the top step, he slammed into her, causing the two to fall over in a heap of giggles and awkward limbs.

“What the actual fuck?” They both looked up to see Gerard and Bob standing over them, looking amused. Frank just started laughing again as Becks took the helping hand that Gerard offered her.

“Thanks,” she said to him when she was upright, dusting herself off.

Gerard nodded. “You on our bus, then?” He asked.

“Uh, yeah. I hope that’s okay?” Gerard broke out into a grin.
“Totally fine.” He slung one arm over her shoulder and gestured grandly around the bus with the other. “Welcome aboard the band bus!”

“Thanks!” She said with a smile, looking around. “Where’s everyone else?”

“Back lounge, about to get their party on!” Frank said from behind them. He stole her from under Gerard’s arm and started tugging her to the back. “Come on, let’s gooo!”

Becks looked over her shoulder at Gerard and mouthed ‘help me’. Gerard just laughed and shook his head, moving to the side to let Bob through.

---

When they’d reached the back lounge, Becks saw Mikey and Ray lounging on the large wrap-around couch, red solo cups in hand. They looked up at her and Frank upon their entry.

“Becks, here, will be living on our bus for this tour,” Frank explained, gesturing to her. She looked at Ray who smiled and let out an ‘ay’ in response then at Mikey, who was stone faced when her eyes met his. She wondered what was going through his mind as they stared at each other. “And she is here to party down, right Becks?” He asked, causing her to break contact with Mikey and look at him.

“Oh yeah.” She replied strongly. Frank smiled then went to sit next to Ray, stealing the cup out of his hand.

“Awesome.” Ray laughed, smacking Frank’s head lightly in retribution. “So, vodka or whiskey?”

She paused for a quick second, then nodded. “Whiskey. All the way.”

“Alright!” Mikey said, grabbing the whiskey bottle and a cup for her. When she looked at him this time, he was smiling. “Straight or mixed?”

“Uh, mixed would be great.”

Mikey just nodded in response, pouring a, wow, very healthy amount of liquor in the cup. Becks watched, amused, impressed, and maybe a bit terrified. “Ah, shit,” he said, his brow furrowing as he started looking around for something. “Ray, man, where’d the soda go?”

“Uh, I finished what was here. I the rest is up in the fridge,” he answered, looking up from a conversation between Frank and Bob, whom Becks hadn’t even noticed enter the back lounge.
“Shit.” Mikey swore again. “Alright, uh,” he stood and looked at Becks. “Come with me, it’ll probably be easier.” And with that, he left the lounge with Becks on his heels. When they made their way up to the front lounge, Becks could see Gerard and Brian in deep conversation. Mikey opened up the small fridge and rifled through it. “Okay, uh, we’ve got…” he paused, bending down to look at the cans in the fridge, “Dr. Pepper, Coke, aaaand what looks like half a can of Mountain Dew?” He looked at her, his glasses sliding down his nose a little.

Lord, if that’s not adorable….

“Ummmm,” she said, ignoring her thoughts and scrunching up her face, pondering, “Dr. Pepper?”

“Yeah, okay.” He grabbed a can from the fridge and topped of her drink for her. “One Jack ‘n Pepper for the lady,” he handed it to her with a miniscule bow then proceeded to shove everything back in the fridge, more or less where he’d found it all.

Giggling at the boy in front of her and life in general, Becks took a sip of her drink, letting out a choked cough the instant it touched her throat.

“Fuck, did I make it too strong?” Mikey asked, strangely concerned. Normally, Becks would expect jest for the pansy move she’d just pulled-choking on her drink? Party foul and terms for harassment where she came from.

“No, no,” she coughed for a second. “I mean yeah, but it’s good. Just wasn’t quite ready.” She watched as the concern on his face disappear.

“Good though, right?” She could hear the proud smile begging to come through even though his face was blank.

She took another sip, handling this one masterfully. “Real good.” At this, he finally smirked and ducked back towards the lounge.

“Hey, Becks!” Brian called out as she turned to follow Mikey. She quickly turned back to look at Gerard and Brian.

“Yeah?”

“Bus leaves in ten, let everyone know.”

“Will do!” She gave a salute with the hand that wasn’t holding her drink, earning her a smile from Gerard, then she disappeared down the hall.

“Bus leaves in ten!” She announced as she made it back to the lounge, taking a seat between Frank and Mikey, easily joining in on the debate the group was having about which Tony Hawk game was truly the best.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Saturday, everybody! Hope you enjoy and please feel free to leave any comments, they make my week and inspire further writing :)