One Direction One Shots

Harry Styles 14

I don’t want a lot for Christmas
There’s just one thing I need
I don’t care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you
I sung the words clearly and crisply, letting my voice resound down the snow-covered streets as I strummed chords on my guitar. I was a lone singer, singing and performing on my own, as people walked past the frosted windows of shops happily. It was Christmas again, and I was doing what I do best. Singing for charity. Every Christmas, I went out to the streets and busked, the stray coins that landed in my plain guitar case going straight to the Salvation Army appeal. I wasn’t rich, but there were plenty of people worse off than me that needed a little help. Especially at this time of year. Usually I was shy, but this was the one thing that I braved my shyness to do. Spreading a little joy at Christmas through singing and helping out those in need. I tossed my long brown hair over my shoulder with a flick as I went on to the first verse.
I don’t want a lot for Christmas
There’s just one thing I need
I don’t care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don’t need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won’t make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you
I went into a short instrumental where I played just the chorus part of the song as chords on my guitar. I looked up to see a growing audience. I smiled and blushed a little, nodding my head as a few younger kids threw spare bits of change in the case. I felt a little exposed. All I had with me was my small wooden stool, my music stand and my guitar. And here there were at least twenty people watching me intently. I guess if I ever wanted to become a proper musician, I would always be affected by a little stage fright and nerves. But I didn’t think I’d ever make it. There’s no room in the record industry for an average looking girl with a shy disposition. I’ve heard you need to be loud and outgoing to create a decent following… that type of thing won’t happen for someone like me.
As I searched the crowd for a familiar face, I noticed a group of boys, only a little older than myself. There were five of them in total. There was a shorter boy with straight, blonde hair and grey-blue eyes, a pale boy with straight brown hair and brown eyes, a more tanned boy with darker, shorter hair and darker eyes, and a boy with mousey brown hair with greeny-blue eyes. Finally, there was a rather tall boy with a mop of wild curly hair and entrancing emerald green eyes. He had a very cute face and when he smiled his dimples were quite pronounced. I watched the group, entranced by the wild-haired boy. When I caught his eye I looked down quickly. I know them… but from where? I continued strumming, almost missing my entry entirely.
I won’t ask for much this Christmas
I don’t even wish for snow
I’m just gonna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won’t make a list and send it
To the North Pole or Saint Nick
I won’t even stay awake to
Hear those magic reindeers click
‘Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do
Baby all I want for Christmas is you
Again, I broke off singing for an instrumental break. I noticed most of the listeners had moved on, more engrossed in their shopping escapade than my music. But there they were, the five boys standing still as statues across the icy square. It was terribly cold out; I wondered if they were cold just standing there. I noticed that when they breathed little clouds of breath formed as warm air met the cold. The curly-haired boy was still staring at me. Wait… I know his name. He’s Harry Styles, from One Direction. And surely enough when I looked up again I confirmed this thought. Indeed he was Harry Styles from One Direction, and the others were the rest of One Direction.
Ooh baby
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children’s
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won’t you bring me the one I really need
Won’t you please bring my baby to me…
I was approaching the end of the song. I began mentally preparing myself in case they decided to walk over and comment on my singing and guitar playing. I sure hoped they liked it. Especially Harry.
Well, if you must know I’ve had a crush on Harry Styles since the beginning of X Factor last year. All my friends kept teasing me about it, instead liking Liam and Zayn better, but I really liked Harry. He seemed so sweet, so kind-hearted to everyone that was on the X Factor. Including, to my surprise, Simon Cowell. He just seemed so down to earth. So kind, so normal. He was so cute with his wild hair. He always looked happy. Always smiling and showing off those cute dimples. He was what I imagined to be the perfect guy. Kind-hearted, nice, talented, and above all else happy. Joyful. I don’t believe there’s a single mean or nasty bone in that boy’s body.
Oh I don’t want a lot for Christmas
This is all I’m asking for
I just want to see my baby
Standing right outside my door
Oh I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is you
All I want for Christmas is you
I smiled as I finished the last chord. I received a well-earned round of applause so I stood up and bowed. The boys edged closer and closer to me. But before they could even speak to me, an old lady came up to congratulate me.
“You have a lovely voice, young lady,” she said in an old, crackly voice. “What will you be spending all that money on?” I laughed sweetly at her.
“Oh no, I’m not spending any of this,” I told her with a gentle smile, “this money’s going to the Salvation Army Christmas Appeal. There are people who need it more than I do.” She smiled warmly at me.
“Such a kind-hearted girl.” I shook my head.
“I only wish to spread joy at Christmas.” She patted my hand and placed a $20 note in it.
“I suppose you could at least take some money for yourself.” I shook my head.
“No, ma’am. I couldn’t do that. But if you don’t mind, I will put this towards the appeal.” She nodded.
“Not at all.”
“Thanks so much. And please, go get yourself inside and warm yourself up,” I responded with a wave.
After she had left I was met by five smiling faces.
“You’re voice is really pretty,” Harry muttered, shuffling back and forth nervously on his heels.
‘Thanks, it means so much coming from you,” I responded with a smile. I picked up my guitar case, counted the money, stuck it in my scarf and wrapped it up. I put my guitar away and Harry helped me with the stand.
“You didn’t have to do that, Harry Styles.” I chastised him, taking the stand off him.
“Hey, you know One Direction then?” Louis asked me. I nodded.
“Indeed I do, Louis Tomlinson.” He grinned from ear to ear.
“Well then, I guess you could take this.” I placed a CD in my hand. “That is, if you don’t already have it.” I shook my head.
“No, I haven’t been able to afford it. Thanks so much!” I replied with a smile.
“But with a voice like that, I’m sure you’d be able to make a lot of money!” Zayn told me. I shook my head.
“No. I don’t like that sort of thing. I’m happier just giving money away.” Harry nodded, taking my guitar case off me.
“What’s your name?” he asked sheepishly. I blinked.
“My name’s Joy.”
“Well Joy, care to let me walk you home.” I blushed.
“Um, well that’s not entirely necessary…” I trailed off. He was giving me puppy-dog eyes. “Well OK.”
Harry waved goodbye to all the other boys, and I led the way down the snow-covered path. We walked a few minutes in complete silence.
“You have a beautiful voice, Joy.” He told me with a blush. I blushed and hid myself in my jumper.
“You already said that, Harry.” I told him pointedly. He laughed nervously.
“Well, I mean it. You’re so sweet and such a nice girl. I was wondering if… you know… we could meet up together sometime and do something?” I turned to him, a wide grin spread on my face.
“Of course.”
We’d finally reached my front door. I stopped and took my guitar case off of him.
“Thanks for carrying my guitar Harry.” He nodded in response. He looked at me with those amazing emerald green eyes. My hazel eyes flashed in happiness. He leant forward and planted a soft kiss on my lips, and just as he did so it began snowing lightly.
“How about you come inside?” He grinned and followed me into the hall, leaving his wet boots in the hallway. When it stopped snowing he got up to leave, but before he did he gave me another kiss, handing me a phone number.
“I’ll see you soon?” he asked. I nodded.
“Take care of yourself, Harry.” And with that, he was off and into the snow-covered streets. But that wasn’t the last I saw of Harry Styles.