Small Town Secrets

III

I walk into the woods behind the school to begin my trek home. It's not the fastest way home, but it is the prettiest - and this way I can avoid running into Thalia, or any other students for that matter. I pull my light cardigan close and hug my arms to my chest to keep warm in the fall breeze. I knew leaving my jacket at home today was a bad idea...
It takes me just over a half hour to walk home. I notice a strange car in the driveway as I approach my house. I open the front door and drop my backpack onto the floor. I hear a woman's voice come from the kitchen, followed by my father's laughter and I can't help but roll my eyes.
"Dad?" I call out and walk towards the kitchen. I only hear more laughter, coming from both of them. I walk into the kitchen to find him standing by the counter with a toothy smile, chatting with a tall blonde woman who's seated at our dining table, clutching a mug of coffee.
"Oh, hi honey... I didn't hear you come in." He says and kisses me on the forehead, something he never does. I raise my brow at him and head to the fridge for a snack. "This is Kate. She's been helping me get set up at the new office." I reach for an apple in the bottom drawer, rolling my eyes again. I'm sure that's all she's been doing... I face them with a thin smile.
"Kate, this is my daughter Brett." He says and takes a sip of his own coffee.
"Hi Brett, I've heard so much about you." She says with a try-hard smile.
"Wish I could say the same." I reply and take a bite out of my apple. My dad gives me a 'watch-your-sass' look, but I ignore it. I study Kate's face - she looks to be in her early forties. She was wearing too much makeup and her box dyed blond hair needed a touch up.
"You're going to Flynn High School, right?" She asks.
I nod, "It is the only school around here for hours." I
She giggles, "Of course. My niece actually goes there. Her name is Thalia. Have you met her?" My face makes an automatic frown as I hear that name.
"Um, yeah, I have met her." I say and try to force a smile. "I'm gonna go upstairs and finish unpacking." I dismiss myself from the conversation and head upstairs to my room. We had moved in only a week ago, and the only thing set up was my bed. I had been pulling laundry out of a garbage bag and the dirty laundry was starting to pile up.
~~
"Do you want a ride to school today?" My father asks as he hears me walking downstairs. I peak out the window behind him and shake my head.
"It's nice out, I'll walk." I say with a smile.
"Okay, I'm heading out now. Grab something for lunch and I'll see you when you get home." He says as he rushes out the door. I questioned why he was in a hurry to get to an office he owns, but didn't think on it too hard.
I grab a banana from the kitchen, toss my backpack over my shoulder and head out the door. I make my way to the end of the block and into the woods. The sun was low and shined through the trees illuminating the dark woods. The fallen leaves crunched under my beat up converse and the stream trickled next to me. I breathed in the crisp morning air and even enjoyed the chirping of the birds. I close my eyes for a moment and feel the warmth of the sun on my back.
The sound of a branch snapping in the distance startles me and I quickly look around for the culprit. I can see the school's football field from where I stood and knew the school would appear from behind the hill in only moments. The rustling of leaves pulls my attention to the right where I see someone dressed in dark clothes, their head low, walking in the same direction as I. They stop when they see me, meeting my gaze and I recognize him from the news: Kade.
He was a bit taller than I had imagined, and thin. His long, shaggy brown hair covered most of his young face. He wore dark blue jeans, and a black sweatshirt, the hood pull up. We stare at each other a moment, neither of us moving. He finally takes a long drag of the cigarette he was holding and flicks on the ground. My stomach turns, I wasn't scared of him - I was nervous. I wanted to say something, tell him I didn't think he did it, but the words wouldn't come out. He finally starts walking away, faster than when he approached and I feel a ping of disappointment. I let out the breathe I didn't notice I was holding and start walking to class.
I look forward to handing in my test to Mr. Hill, as I feel I did very well and wanted to know what that would mean moving forward. I enjoy math, it's my favorite subject. I walk into Mr. Hills room where he is studying something on his computer, and doesn't notice my entry.
"Hi." I say as I approach his desk. He finishes reading something and turns to me, his face brightening as he see who I am.
"Hello Brett." He says with a charming smile. "You're not in my class until next period, what are you doing here?"
I reach into my backpack and pull out the test. "I finished."
His eyebrow raises, "You're done already?" He asks.
I nod and hand it to him. His hand brushes against mine as he takes it from me, bringing heat to my checks. "I'm only taking three classes right now. I had a lot of time to finish."
He glances it over, then sets it on the corner of his desk.
"My first period has a test today, I will grade it then. We can discuss it after class today."
I nod. "Bye," I say and flash a small smile before leaving his classroom, shutting the door behind me.
~~
History drags on. I am anxious to see what Mr. Hill grades on my test. I know it's just for him to help develop a better understanding of what to teach me, but I couldn't help myself from being excited to spend the extra time with him. Mr. Hill talks to me like an adult, and seems to take a genuine interest in my learning. Him being attractive doesn't hurt either.
The bell signaling the end of class finally rings and I nearly dart out of the classroom. I head to my locker only to find Thalia standing there, waiting for me. Her face brightens when she sees me approaching, my reaction is the opposite.
"Hi Brett!" She says cheerfully.
"Hi Thalia," I reply while opening my locker.
"I hope you'll be joining me and my friends for lunch again!" She offers with a small bounce that makes her high ponytail swing back and forth.
"Uh, maybe. I'm meeting with Mr. Hill after class to discuss some work, so we'll see." I stuff my history textbook into my locker.
"You're so lucky to have him as a teacher." She says with a dreamy look in her eye. "He's such a catch." She says with a giggle.
"Yeah, I guess so." I mumble and grab my math book and notebook.
"Don't tell me you wouldn't sleep with him if you had the chance!" She says laughing a bit louder this time.
I offer a small smile, "Yeah I guess." I say and shut my locker door. I didn't want to have this conversation with her, even if I did have the same thoughts. The bell rings and I start walking to class.
"Well I'll save you a seat at lunch!" She calls after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kade