Blackwater Flower

Chapter One

I had spent my final day at home, cleaning and packing up all my things.

The youngest Bondurant brother, Jack, was the one to come and get me from my father's home as the sun began to sink in the sky. He was the one to take me to Blackwater Station- my stepmother didn't even say good-bye as I left. Neither of us, Jack or myself, spoke as he drove, I could hear my bags rattling around in the back of the truck.

When we arrives at out destination, I saw two men sitting outside on the porch that wrapped around the front of the building. The two older Bondurant brothers. It seemed they were waiting for out arrival. One of two looked dirty, and thrown together like he had only just rolled out of bed; but I could see his bright blue eyes from here. The other was more well dressed and put together. A hat sat over his short hair, and there was a bit of scruff on his face. I also noticed that cigar that was burning in his hand.

I hesitated for a few moments before climbing out of the truck. Jack was grabbing my bags from the back, as I began looking around the property in awe. It was only just not hitting me how real all of this really was. How my life was going to change. I was no longer living in town, but out in the middle of no where it seemed.

I guess I jut didn't want to believe that even though my step mother wasn't fond of me, that she would sell me off like this. No, I wasn't being over dramatic about this; I overheard her talking to one of the Bondurant brothers, they paid her to have me work this job. She sold me.

"So this is her?" The thrown together looking one asked. Of course, I knew their names were Howard and Forrest, I just didn't know which one was which. Jack was different though. He is so different from the other two, so it was easy to tell him from the others. Plus, on more than one occasion I had seen him in town pining after Bertha Minnix- who was now Bertha Bondurant.

Jack stepped up behind me, my bags still in his hands, as he gave me a small push towards the porch where the other two brothers were waiting. "My, she sure it a pretty little flower isn't she Forrest?" The thrown together on asked, looking to his brother. So, I guess it was safe to say that he was Howard.

Jack and I stepped up onto the porch, where Jack set my bags down. I kept my hands clutched together down in front of me. "So does the pretty flower have a name?" Howard questioned with a smile, now stepping towards me. I could smell the foul stench of moonshine on his breath. He was drunk. "R-Rebecca Mae Rouse, sir." I mutter, keeping my eyes cast down. My words seemed to make all three of the men start laughing wildly. "I ain't no 'sir' Rebecca, just call me Howard." He laughed, clapping his large hand down onto my shoulder- it slightly hurt.

"You've already met Jack, and that useless lump of flesh over there is Forrest. All he's good for is sitting around and drinking coffee." I could tell he was joking by the tone of his voice. "Yeah, and all you're good for is drinking our product." Forrest muttered in retaliation.

Jack then stepped forward, picking my back up once more. "Come on, I'll show you to your new room." He still had a slight chuckle in his voice from listening to his brothers bickering back and forth. I simply nodded my head, and followed along behind jack through the building. The whole place had already been cleaned, it was spotless to be honest.

The chairs were put up on top of the tables, off the floors. The floors had been swept, maybe even mopped; and the counters had been wiped down. The station was closed for the night.

"now, you've got nothing to do tonight, we've already done everything from today so that you wouldn't have to. All we want you to do tonight is get used to your surroundings, get comfortable. If you need anything, all you need to do is ask for is, alright?" He explained with a smile.

"Thank you, Jack." i flashed him a small smile, still extremely nervous about being here. Jack must have sensed my nerves as we walked up the stairs, because as soon as he put my bags down inside of my room, he flashed me another smile. "Look, I know you're nervous, scared even, about being here; but you have nothing to worry about. We'll protect you." He tried to comfort me; but in all honesty it didn't help much.

"Do you live here too, Jack?" I choked out suddenly. I had never really been a talker, not even when my dad was alive; and being around the Bondurant boys didn't make me feel all too chatty.

"No," He shook his head, "Bought a place a few miles away for Bertha and I. Howard will be leaving in the morning, going up north for work. So it will just be you and Forrest here at night; but Bertha and I will be here constantly. You know Bertha don't you?" He ended his explanation with a question.

i had never exactly met Bertha but I knew who she was. Like the Bondurant boys, everyone knew who the preacher's daughter was. Expect, she didn't have the same kind of stories going around about her like the brothers did. There were a few whispers here and there when Jack first started hanging around her though. I shook my head as I started ringing my hands together. " No, I've never, we've never actually met. I know who she is though." I whispered.

"You'll meet her soon. I'll leave you alone to get settled. Have a good night, Rebecca." With that, Jack left me alone, closing the door behind himself as he left.

Not planning on actually unpacking my bags, I moved them over to rest up against the wall. One of them, I laid down on it's side before opening it. I only wanted one thing out of it, and it was located on top of everything else. I quickly grabbed the item, and clutched it to my chest as I closed the case before moving over to sit on the bed.

Looking down at the picture in my hands, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "I miss you so much, daddy. Why did you have to leave me alone here with that woman? She sold me off, daddy, like I'm some kind of animal." I couldn't stop myself from crying as I spoke.

"I know you trusted the Bondurant brothers whenever you did business with them, but under the circumstances I don't know if I can. I'm not sure if I can trust, and I don't know what to do." I whispered.

I cried myself to sleep that night.

Little did I know, that as I had been speaking to myself, that Forrest had been standing just outside the door. He had come to tell me goodnight, but instead he had heard everything I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
And so begins the budding relationship between Forrest and BeccaMae