Status: Completed

I Can't Be Perfect

1/1

As I stood in front of that massive crowd, I couldn't help but smile. Though, it was a smile holding a mix of genuine happiness and sadness. A moment that was supposed to be the greatest of my life didn't turn out the way I expected. He wasn't there. He wasn't standing in the front row watching his little girl's dream come true. He didn't care, it was nothing but a dumb fantasy to him. Things were so easier before I confessed I wanted to be a singer, that I was planning on dropping out from school to pursue my dreams. He wouldn't kiss me good night anymore, he wouldn't take my fears aways anymore. I became his problem child that couldn't be fixed.

I left my parent's house when I was sixteen. I needed to leave my small town, so did my three best friends I was in a band with. Our little hometown in Michigan wasn't big enough for us, we needed more. That is how the four of us found ourselves flying to Los Angeles with our few belongings and the little money we had. We didn't have much but we weren't scared. The city of angels; that was where our real life would begin.

My father never said goodbye or good luck to me. He was mad, beyond pissed off. ''You're losing your time Marina, I swear you're just a problem child. How can you be so stupid? We didn't raise you to turn into an uneducated woman with unattainable dreams'', my father said the moment I grabbed my suitcases to leave. And my mom...well she didn't speak a word. I took a deep breath and opened the front door for the last time. And I never looked back.

My father used to be my best friend. When I was young, he would always take me to the movies or the mall. Every winter, we would go ski just the two of us. I was his little princess and he was my king. I always wanted to impress him and make him proud. He was my hero. But now, all those days seems so far away. I wasn't good enough for him anymore. I was a problem child who was silly for wanting to sing for a living. Our sweet conversations turned into mornings fights. Screams, broken glasses...it became our everyday routine. I've been really mean to him, always finding a way to make him mad or sad. I wish I could take all the nasty things I told him back and change the way the storie ends. Though, that isn't how life works.

''Hello, we're Difficult Plan! Thank you all for being here tonight.''

How I wish my dad could have heard me scream this into my microphone. I wanted to make him proud and show him what I was capable of even though I didn't grow up according to plan. No, I was just his messed up, forever flawed and beyond repair problem child. And, to his dismay, forever his.