Burn Out

02.

It’s a dry, grey day. Aunt Jackie was fast asleep after lunch and I was growing bored and anxious from sitting inside. I finished my online classes and knew Cassie wouldn’t be home for a while; I need to do something before the boredom kills me. I get up, kiss Jackie on the cheek, grab my board and head outside. It’s chilly outside, so I zip up my hoodie before jumping on my board.

I grew up in New York, the city that never sleeps; when I made the move to small town Cle Elum, Washington to help take care of my aunt, I had no idea what to expect. Consequently, this is the town that is never awake. In New York there was always something to do, something to see, something new to try. I am yet to feel that same sense of adventure here.

I skate until I find Main St, and skate down the long road, until I reach a small burger place. I hadn’t even noticed my stomach growling until I got a big whiff of fries. I enter the small restaurant and walk to the counter.

“Hi, what can I get you?” I am greeted by an overly friendly employee.

“Um, just an order of fries. Ooh, and one of those chocolate-marshmallow shakes.”
“Sure, is that everything for you?”

“Yeah.” I nod and pull a small wad of bills out of my pocket.

“That’ll be four dollars and sixty-seven cents.” She says and I hand her a crumpled five dollar bill. She hands me my change. “You can have a seat anywhere and we’ll bring your food over.” She says before disappearing out of sight.

The restaurant is separated into two rooms; a small opened door leading the way into the back room. In the back room sat a couple of pinball machines, one with a sign reading “Out of Order”. I lean my longboard against the wall and sit next to the large window. I am seated for only a few minutes before the same girl who took my order brings my food to the table. I thank her politely and quickly dig in, stuffing my face with fries. I munch quietly while staring out the window, deep in thought.

“Dude, give me a quarter” I voice says loudly, drifting into the back room. I glance at the doorway as the three boys from yesterday walk in, skateboards in hand.

“Woah,” The pink haired one says when I catch his eye. He walks over, taking a seat across from me. “Hello, Chase.” He says with a charming grin.

“You’ll have to excuse me, I don’t think I caught your name.” I reply.

“Grey,” He says and extends his hand towards me. I shake it firmly.

“So nice to meet you, Grey.”

“And this is London,” He gestures the boy with the dreads; Cassie’s ex-boyfriend. “And Kade.” He gestures next to the tall boy with long brown hair.

“You never told me what you were doing at Cassie’s house.” London says, sitting next to Grey across from me.

“I think your question was ‘how do I know her’, not what was I doing at her house.” I tease.

“Feisty!” Grey says, slamming a hand down on the table. “I like it.” He smirks. His charm is almost too much, but I find it quite amusing and almost flattering.

“We’re cousins.” I say and take a sip from my milkshake. “I just moved here.” London gives me a questioning look, but it’s Grey who keeps the conversation going.

“Where are you from, Chase?”
~
I board home after a nice long chat with the boys. I reach our house just after Cassie gets there.

“Hey, Chase.” She says with a kind smile.

“Hey! How was school?” I ask following her inside.

“It was alright. Just another long day.” She says while hanging her jacket up by the door. “Did you do anything exciting?” She asks.

“Actually, I had an interesting lunch.” I start while slipping my shoes off. She looks at me quizzically. “I had lunch with those guys: London, Grey, and Kade.”

Cassie’s brow furrows. “I don’t really like the idea of you hanging out with my ex-boyfriend.” She says, walking upstairs to her room. I follow close behind her.

I roll my eyes. “It wasn’t like that.” I reply, shaking my head at her. “He’s actually totally into you still.”

This catches her attention. “How do you know?” She asks, tucking a strand of her ember red hair behind her ear. I sit down on the edge of her bed, while she sits at her desk.

“Just his demeanor. He did ask about you this time, and asked about your mom. I can tell he’s sorry for treating you the way he did… Maybe you should reach out to him?” I offer, to which she scuffs.

“Yeah right. He ignored me for two weeks, for no reason. If he wants to be with me he’ll have to make the effort.” She says, crossing her arms.

“Okay, fine. I can’t disagree with that… Anyway, tell me about Grey.” I say with a smirk.

“NO.” She shouts.

“What?” I ask with a chuckle.

“He’s like a huge jerk; he’s hooked up with so many girls.”

I roll my eyes. “He seems like fun.” Cassie gives me a look of disbelief. “Anyway, he invited us to his bonfire tomorrow night. You want to go?”

“I don’t know… It’s easy for me to avoid London at school, since he’s not there half the time. That’s kind of hard to do when I’m at a party hosted by his friend.

“Maybe you should stop trying to avoid him.” I offer. “It’s so obvious you still love him. We can get dressed up all cute, and make it impossible for him to resist you.”

“I’ll think about it.” She says turning around to begin her homework. I take this as my queue to begin dinner and head to the door.

“We’re going.” I say before leaving.