Live Your Dream

Chapter Six : Have I ever seen you before?

I have always loved libraries; I have always had a special fascination for them, for the most obvious reasons: I love books. Ever since I was a little girl, I eagerly anticipated visits to our local library in Cape Town for story time, doing research for my studies or just to check out the latest novel had realized, nothing was really pleasanter to me than exploring in a library. For as long as I can remember I've been seduced by reading about the history and civilization, it fueled all of my curiosities, from dinosaurs to ancient Egypt and I became even more obsessed with. Obviously, I was not like the most children in my age, those who visit Libraries only for doing works, or just to borrow books for fictions stories or comics to read about super heroes. In fact, I have always considered myself a weirdo, simply because books were my only friends.

Back then, I should have been reading classics, though my very young age I have been always reading for Charles Dickens and Jane Austin, some of their works have been somehow difficult for my age, but with the help of my teachers and sometimes the librarians I have managed to learn and build new thoughts, that helped me to feed my brain, making me to discover new worlds.

As I started growing up, my interests and my feelings toward the libraries in general , and for books precisely had been matured as well, due to my love for reading, I have been privileged to be a member in different book fan clubs . This experience made me open up to new interests, new points of view, and it somehow let me gain some friends, and Taylor was one of them.

Still speaking of libraries , the TU library was not an exception , I still remembered the first time I set foot inside it, I felt a pure bliss hit me down to my spine , I felt joyful and so happy, just like I had found some treasure. People might have thinking the library was a definition for a boring place, but for me, it was my refuge, quite, no distraction and even could get my works done. But the most important were the knowledge and the new informations I always get from.

The Library situated in the north Campus , not far from our department, in a place where students can concentrate, less noise and distractions. The building itself was a modern raised single floor, designed by Walter Netsch, I believe, in a very Miesian style. Mies Van der Rohe had designed several of the buildings on the campus and the master plan for TU facilities. On the south end was the business supported technology student library , according to my knowledge. The north end was the Culture Faculty library, our library. As I glimpsed around, I noticed that it was less populated .

The center of the library was administrative offices and the circulation desk. Gray windows encircled the entire building. You could see out but during the day they appeared black from outside. Along the windows were the individual chairs and desks for patrons. Usually, my special spot was the last desk and I could see that there was a desk against the west wall. Behind that desk was the wall of the administrative offices, to the left the windows, to the right, rows of shelving for periodicals. Tall black units crammed with reference material that it seemed nobody cared about. At the end of the book stacks, probably 30 feet east of an empty desk was an aisle leading to doors for the administrative offices. Along the other side of the aisle a wood wall. You weren't supposed to sleep in the library but if you stayed out of sight nobody really bothered you and this desk was the most secluded in the library.

The second first thing caught my attention was the nice welcoming from the not too much old Librarian, a lady in her medium age with thick glasses and blonde hair wore in a bun, she looked gentle but also passionate with her work. I stepped towards her desk so I can complete my subscription by registered as a member in the library. She gave me some paper to sign and asked for some other papers, after that she gave me the badge, explaining some instructions during being at the library.

After I took the badge , I walked toward the books shelves , I was keen to read and see all the different types of books, especially the ones talked about Civilisation. As I glimpsed around, there was a wide variety of books, newspapers, magazines, scientific materials and all what you want to. In that split of second, I knew this place would be my refuge during my stay in Dortmund.

I left my bag in the the place where the reader should left their things in , and wrote my name just after. I didn't want to wait another second, one book in precise caught my attention when I was scanning the shelves in civilisation part, a book with probably over than 300 pages, a thick volume with beautiful stunning cover, a picture has been taken from inside a Gothic cathedral in black & white. It was one of the best book that deals with the religious buildings as a symbole of architectural style in the middle ages, I love this period. Beside I was studying and specialized in this theme.

I pulled the book out it place and walked to the first desk I saw when I entered the library, the one against the west wall. Book after book, and I found myself already bringing around 6 books of the same theme, the Gothic Architecture.

"You are one of the few students I see the happiness shine on your face " I heard a female voice, just as looked up, I saw it was the librarian

"Well it because I feel like I found a national treasure. I love to spend my time between books rather than wasted it over someone doesn't really deserve my precious time "I replied with a honest smile. She just beamed at me ,

" honestly I used to meet people when they need something for their studies , just few people come for just being here. You really got my attention Sarah, that was your name right?" she said and I nodded

"Then if you need anything I can recommend some books for you. And to not being disturbed there is a pretty place to enjoy your reading. You can also borrow the book you want and read it at the green park outside"

"Really, wow ! I mean...That my pleasure thanks " she smiled widely

" Could I take some books with me, I mean to my house if I would need it?"

" Yes, sure! But first you have to sign on a demand to take it, it's just a routine precaution" she explained

" Yep sure, I myself know those precautions, I once worked in a library and there were people who didn't use this right in right manner, some of them had stolen the books, the others destroyed and ruined the pages and the covers, that was really disgusting, by doing such a horrible thing, they are disallowing the others to benefit" I commented

" Totally agree, so you were a librarian, that's really good, I mean it's fantastic"

" Thank you, ma'am! "

"By the way, if you want to join a book club I can add your name"

"That's... wow.. it's super amazing , yes I would love to "I exclaimed, she chuckled then nodded and left

I lost tracks on time and didn't know how much time I spent there, just looking at my watch and count the hours, it turned out that I spent over then three hours, more precisely, three hours and half, so I made a decision, I needed the books to read and to extract some informations I need for the essentiel model's program I was subscribed in. I took two books and a magazine and walked to the office of the old lady, I signed on some papers, leaving my Student card and walked outside, carrying the books and feeling happy, it's been quite a while I was not in such happiness . I put the plugs in my ears and started an old song of the French singer ; Hélène Ségara, one of her songs was one the greatest hits back then. While I was enjoying the song I unintentionally crushed with someone, he looked too familiar to me.

Marco POV :

The sun has set up announcing a new day, a new start to continue my rehab so I could back soon to the field. Oh lord! how much I missed playing games , the team has already left to Brussels for the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League , to play against the Belgian team Anderlecht this evening, in hope to wrap up first place in Group D . So my thoughts were a little bit confused, because of the last injury now I'm out and could do nothing to help my club, but sitting in front of the TV and cheer for them.

Busy thinking of working on my come back made me forget completely that I had promised Marcel to accompany him to the north Campus in TU University. It was the start of the college year and since his cousin was studying there he wanted to pay visit for her, it has been quite a while since he saw her last time, around two months ago, and he couldn't miss such opportunity to meet with her, fresh from the vacancy she has taken in Italy. Beside he promised me to open up to her as soon as he would glimpse the chance for it, the only thing that bothered him was this family relation.

I couldn't turned him down , just as I hung up the call with him , I dialed Thomas's number , my Physio to give me this day off, or at least the half day off, he didn't say anything , we talked and in the end we agreed to get this day off. Thus, I was a little bit uncomfortable, I didn't want Marcel to feel anything, I didn't want to make him sad, because being in the college was something irritating somehow, because it just made me feel this slight feeling of regret to leave school and start my career in playing football. Sometimes I really envied people who got the opportunity to complete their studies, other times I felt satisfied with what I had achieved so far. But for sure, I have never regretted being a football player, because it was the only thing that I can do with all my heart, and enjoy doing it

My phone rang again, as a sign from Marcel that he already arrived, I quickly brought my hoodie and my sunglasses and walked out, headed down to meet with him.

During the ride he kept talking only on Manuela, his cousin, how he missed her and trying to guess how she could be looked after her holidays. Judging to her last post in Instagram, I would said she really looked so fine and so gorgeous, Italy did good to her, and she caught a wonderful tan, as well.

As his best friend, I could said that I did my job with him, encouraging him to talk to her, we arrived the faculty where she supposed to study. Marcel already knew almost every corner in the north campus, he was once studying business & international management , and he got his diploma a year ago.

We parked the car and waited there for some time, he was still insecure , I didn't force him so we agree to stay inside the car for some time till he could relax a bit, what caught my attention were the couples sitting in the green park, I looked at them and a sharp sting has shooting through my stomach can't be jealousy, can it? I must have eaten something wrong. But that feeling hit me again the moment I was looking at the young couple having their intimate time together, maybe it was jealousy, but something I was sure of, that I wanted such relation.

" You know, sometimes I envy them, I mean I wish I have completed my studies" I broke the silence, Marcel looked back at me and beamed

"You've right! But Marco look at the brighter side, now you've a successful career, you're famous and an Idol for a lot of people"

" Successful career!! yea you're right with the three injuries in just half a year, yea so successful" I said sarcastic, despite I agree with him, even I didn't manage to complete my studies I'm trying my best to be successful in the field I had chosen years ago

" Come on, man! The injuries are part of it, but though, everyone know you're a talented player and skillful , one of the best German players and you've already been selected in the best German Mannschaft all time"

" Yes! But you don't understand me, I wish I could exchange the situation, exchange the fame with a simple life, where you can do and say whatever you want, no reporters, no paps, no fans..Just you, the simple ordinary guy who has dreams, no hypocrites around and no one would take advantages being the footballer's friend"

" I'm with you in that, but, just imagine what could happen if you got this life you wanted, probably you won't find the dream job , admit it Marco! I'm the best exemple for that, I had studied and recently got my diploma but still didn't find my dream-job"

" At least you tried living this life..." I said and then be both went silent, but still that sharp feeling was hitting my stomach

" Look at that couple, they look so awesome together, it would be great if I was in their place with the one I love"

" Ok Ok I got you man, you need someone to love "

" Not just someone to love , I want to get my freedom, no one stalking me , I want to be with someone love me for myself not for my so called- Celebrity status , If I could paid for living this life, I would certainly loved to pay all what I have..."

" Are you jealous, Marco?"

" I don't know, they just make me want to try what they are living"

"Do you want to be with a student and live this adventure?"

" Well I wouldn't lie but... yea, I'd love to"

"Then , you still can do it"

" No I can't, the reporters would be everywhere and I would feel disturbed, even the girl won't feel comfortable"

" I think she will get to use to be in this situation, in the end you're still a famous player"

" You're right, thus I don't think I will find someone who won't care of me being a celebrity"

" As long as she loves you, she will accept that fact , I mean if she is not into this fame thing and doesn't want to be in the spot light and loves you for your person"

After that we went silent again, at that moment I didn't have any idea that Marcel's talk would somehow realize , that I would have ever met with such a girl who wouldn't care of being in the middle of the spot light or being with a famous footballer.

I looked at my watch trying to figure the time, it was nearly midday and Marcel still didn't make his first attempt , busy with analyzing the situation, I noticed him looking at his mobile every now and then , then I wanted to free him from this misery , I took his mobile and then search for Manuela's number , it's now or never

" W-What are you doing?"

" The right decision, take it talk to her, it's ringing in the other side!" I said quickly and gave him his devise back, Marcel looked at me and couldn't say anything

I heard the beeping alart coming out from Marcel's mobile, but Manuela didn't take much time to answer , just three beeps and she picked up the call, I could even hear her joyful laughs, meanwhile I heard Marcel stuttering, but then he found his voice again

" Wish me luck!" he said after descending the car

Almost an hour passed and Marcel still didn't appear, I felt bored so I thought to stretch a little my legs, I locked the car after I got out from and put my hoodie on , to distract people so they couldn't recognize me.

As I arrived a building which it appear like a library , something was not in my mind happened, I run into a beautiful, short blonde girl looks like an Ice cream with her yellow, pink and red outfits, wearing her hair into ponytail , carrying books in her hands and seemed like she was tired . I didn't mean the crush to happen, but it happened anyway, accident always happens in this little world, her books fell on the ground just as our bodies crushed and then she bent to gather them of the ground, I bent as well to help her , it was my fault, if I kept looking straight I could at least avoid the crush.

Just as I grabbed one of her books , I looked at her , she looked too familiar to me, especially with her dimples in her cheeks. That smile I had already seen recently

" Have I ever seen you before? " I asked her curiously, I can't recall where I had seen this shorty blonde , but I do believe I saw her before , but where? I couldn't remember. The girl looked at me , just if she was wondering if my question was some kind of flirting or I was serious

" I can't recall" she answered

" But I'm sure I have seen you before" I answered back, trying my best to remember where I did see her , she looked at me with so beautiful smile playing on her mouth, that took my breath away

" I think you're mistaken me with someone else, it's ok I've already been stopped for such accident" she answered and started blushing, her face that was paled few seconds ago became redder then red itself , I glimpsed once more on her hands and I saw something familiar, and then I got back my memory, now I know where I did see her, and I was more happy to see her again

" Wait! You're the autograph.."

" Excuse me?" she replied

" What do you mean with autograph thing?", she asked but didn't wait too much to figure out what I mean , she smiled casting her eyes down , feeling embarrassed I guess

" Yea.. exactly, you have such a powerful memory" she joked and I chuckled

" Well that kinda true, I can remember some things, events, to be honest how could I even forget that weird accident when you signed in my arm, that actually never happened before" I said then looked at my right arm , giggling and show her the traces of the blue marks she marked me with

" Ow that ! I'm really sorry , I thought you were asking for autograph, since before I met with you, I had met with some people, stopping me thinking I'm that actress and they were asking for autographs, so I thought you're into this stuff as well, my mistake!" she explained, apologizing, I smiled at her , sensing she still didn't know with whom she was talking

" Yes I know that actress, but you're way too beautiful than her" I winked, can't believe that I started flirting with this unknown girl, she caught, I could say that if I added one more compliment she would probably get a heart attack, judging to how her color was transferred from red to deep purple

" So?"

" So!" she replied

" You're an architect?" I asked, handing her her book with the big title : Gothic Architecture

"ähm..no, I'm actually studying civilisation" she answered

" Civilization ...ehm interesting! Civilization means history too, right" I asked

" Exactly but with more details and more branches" she answered

" My favorite matter back then when I was at school was History" I felt embarrassed , was really something I should mention it to this stranger

" Mine, too "she answered smiling shyly

" So miss look alike that actress , it's a very old question and honestly I don't want to sound annoying, but could I have a cup of coffee or something, well just to apology for the misunderstanding" I blurted out, didn't know what I was talking about, all what I knew that I wanted badly to talk to her

" By the way, I'm Marco" I added, reached my hand out to shake hers

" excuse me..what.. ah yap nice to meet you, I'm.. I'm Sarah" she said while she was still arranging her books. Sarah! Nice name for a beautiful girl! I commented in my heart

"Nice to meet you Sarah! So is the invitation still up?"

" About the invitation, well ... It's really generous from you, Marco! but sorry I have to refuse it, I'm really sorry" she said , I felt a little disappointed , of course she wouldn't accompany someone didn't know but I really hoped that we could catch up for a cup of coffee and who knows, maybe we can get along better. Maybe she saw the disappointment on my face although I tried to sound cool

" Or maybe leave it for another chance, if we meet again" she suggested, I instantly draw a smile on my face

" Is that a promise" I asked she just smiled waving at me, walking away and leaving me behind her all alone , and for the second time