‹ Prequel: It's a Start

Shot in the Dark

B.W.B.B.

John dropped me off back at home around midnight.

We walked up the pathway slowly, clasping our hands together while he put his other in his pocket. Mine was just casually holding onto my bag. We stepped up onto the porch and the light beside the door illuminated both of our faces.

I fumbled with my keys in my hand and smiled up at him as he was telling me about a time when he was out with his friends, the ones from tonight, and they lurked around neighborhood streets. They caused a ruckus that night. One of them even got handcuffed, but they were never brought to jail. Their parents talked the officer out of it– complete misunderstanding.

“Thanks for coming today,” John said, running his hand through his hair.

“Thanks for inviting me.”

He nodded and we both avoided each other’s eyes after that. A minute later, he leaned forward and pecked me quick. “Goodnight.”

“Night,” I grinned. He waited to leave until I was safely inside and I went to bed with the same smile still present.

I kind of wanted him to sleep over again, but that was a good way to end the night– or early morning.

Another fruit smoothie to start off my morning and I ended up going for a run afterwards. It was strange for me to have the sudden desire, but it jumpstarted my heart. I was a sweaty mess when I got back home and I drank the rest of the smoothie in the glass before taking a shower. Gabby was dropping off Nate soon and I still didn’t know what we’d do for the rest of the day.

I decided to dress in clean pajamas, gathering everything thrown across my room into the hamper and bringing it toward the washer and dryer room. It wasn’t really a room, just bi-fold closet doors in the hallway. I threw everything in there and put the basket on top of the dryer before starting the wash. Nate’s favorite cereal was in stock and I knew he’d be happy eating it tomorrow morning when he woke up.

I fixed my glasses on my face as I walked toward the door. Nate was standing on the doorstep, Gabby behind him with his bag. “Hi, handsome!” I greeted, rubbing his back when he hugged my legs. “Hey.” I welcomed them both inside and Gabby set his bag down on the back of the couch.

“Everything that he likes is in here, clothes, toys, books. He didn’t want to take a bath last night so he’ll probably need one tonight before bed. Shampoo and everything is also in here,” Gabby tapped the bag and put her hand on her hip. Nate was running around, pretending that his toy airplane was flying. “Is it too much to ask for him to be in bed by eight?”

“No, not at all.” I shook my head and crossed my arms, smiling as Nate ran past us to the door and back.

“Thank you,” she sighed. “Um, anything else?” She thought to herself. “Oh! He’s allergic to peanuts, so no peanut butter or anything.”

“Gotcha.” I gave her a nod.

“Thanks for having him over.” She hugged me around my shoulders.

I smiled, “No problem. Go out tonight; have fun.”

She laughed a little like that was impossible for her to have fun, but she didn’t say anything else about it. Nate walked over when she called him and she bent down to hug him and kiss his cheek. “Be a good boy for Aunt Andrea, okay?” He gave her a nod and moved forward to kiss her on the lips like she asked. I smiled softly and walked with them toward the door, hugging her before she left.

I closed the door and turned around to pick him up. “Alright, kiddo. What are we going to do now?”

We ended up popping in a movie that Gabby packed and I made him mac and cheese for dinner. It was so cute watching him eat it. He would stick the fork in the bowl to get a few noodles, and then lift it up to his mouth while looking at the TV. Sometimes they would completely miss his mouth, but it was so adorable. After dinner, he showed me some of the toys he brought, scattering them all over the floor by the back door. I took his little hand in mine to walk him toward the bathroom in the hall, bag on my shoulder and I gave him a bath. He was dressed in his pajamas by seven and we were sat on the couch again, watching late night cartoons.

My phone vibrated in the pocket of my sweatpants and I dug it out, opening it to John’s message. Mind if the guys and I come over? He asked.

I glanced at Nate and shrugged since he would probably like having the guys around. Come on over, but no drinking because Nate is here for the weekend. I put my phone back in my pocket and reached my hand out to brush the hair out of his eyes.

“I’ll get it!” He announced when the doorbell rang. I laughed and watched him get up and run around the couch toward the door. He reached his little arm up and opened the heavy door. John greeted him with a high five and so did the five other boys behind him. It was just Halvo, Pat, Kennedy, Max and Peter with him. I gave them a short wave and smiled when John kissed my forehead. Nate plopped down beside me, grinning up at Halvo since he was going to take that spot.

Halvo started to tickle him, his laughter sounding throughout the room. I picked up my cup off the table and smiled at them as I got up to go put it in the sink. The boys made themselves at home, relaxing on the two couches and the armchair. Halvo walked over to me at the counter, nudging his shoulder with mine.

“Where’s the booze?” He whispered with a grin.

“Halvo, no. I have to look after a 4-year-old tonight.”

He draped his arm over my shoulders. “Kidding, Andrea. You know I’m kidding.” I rolled my eyes and watched him let me go and walk across to the fridge. “Besides, I love drinking apple juice.”

“That’s my apple juice,” I warned him with a glare. His grin widened and he grabbed a bottle and started to drink it. I kicked him in the butt as he left the kitchen and laughed at me.

My arms went over my chest as I walked through the dark dining room, past the door and down the hall to my room and into the bathroom. I did have to pee, but I will admit to ruffling my hair a little. I fixed my glasses, switching the light off with cold hands from the water and closed my door behind me quietly.

I slowed down after one step, seeing John leaning casually against the wall to my left. I laughed a little, “What are you doing?”

“Waiting for you.” My stomach flipped and I watched him carefully as I stepped toward him. He leaned down and kissed me first when I stood in front of him. I put my arms around his neck and smiled against him. His back pressed up against the wall of the dark hallway. Someone could’ve walked toward the door, turned and saw us making out, but that was the last thing I wanted to think about.

Nate’s cries made me pull away from John abruptly and I sprinted toward his sobs to find him slowly getting up from the floor by the back door. Halvo was stood over him, arms stretched out to help him up. I ran toward him and picked Nate up quickly, asking what happened while the boy cried into my shoulder.

“He slipped on one of the blocks.” Eric said with wide eyes while John was beside me and the rest of the guys were looking over at us from their seats. Kennedy was standing up though.

Eric looked afraid that I might yell at him, but I brushed the back of Nate’s head and looked at Eric. “You didn’t do anything,” I assured and walked toward my bathroom again to check for any scrapes. “Not even a scratch, handsome. You’re okay.” I kissed his forehead and picked him up from the counter to bring him to bed. It was almost eight anyways.

He sniffled and got comfortable as I brought the blanket over him. “Can you read me a bedtime story?”

“Of course, sweetheart.” I got up and went for his bag resting on the chair in the corner. I climbed up beside him and waited for him to get comfortable against me before reading. Ten minutes later he was out like a light. My movements were slow so he wouldn’t jolt awake and I put the book back on his bag, shutting off the light and leaving the door open a smidge before leaving him to rest.

The boys were sat down and quiet, wondering if Nate was okay. I assured Halvo and began to pick up the toys to put them somewhere else. We hung out in the living room for a while until we decided to go outside.

“Got anymore of those puns, Andy?” Max asked me as we all sat around the table.

I laughed and nodded, hoping they’d enjoy the ones I thought of. “What’s a pirate’s favorite letter?”

“We know that one. ‘R’,” John said beside me in the chair.

I grinned smugly. “Nope. ‘Tis the C!”

“Ooh,” they all said while I laughed. “I get it,” Eric commented.

“Okay, okay. Um.” I searched around my head for the next one. “I once heard a joke about amnesia, but I forget how it goes.”

Kennedy was chuckling, but he looked at me seriously. “That is not funny.”

“What did the cannibal get when he showed up to the party late?” They all thought long and hard about this one and I watched their faces as they did. They were all stumped. “A cold shoulder! That one’s so easy!”

All six boys smiled at me and shook their heads at the ridiculous jokes.

“Alright, last one. I promise it’s funny.” I brushed my hair and sat up straighter in the chair. My leg crossed over my other one and they waited patiently for me to speak, soft smiles on their faces. “It’s not that the guy didn’t know how to juggle. He just didn’t have the balls to do it.”

Another delighted grin hit my face at their reactions, but I totally thought that the joke was stupid. All of them were stupid.

It’s nice to just be myself around these guys and have them ask me to make them laugh. I’ll try as hard as I can, even if they may be stupid ways.
♠ ♠ ♠
andys puns are awful
sorry this took forever :))))
i've had a busy week and i might land my first job soon :)

#auntnotmom2.0 is great

everdeen: same gurl happy you liked it!

SONG REC:
gun song by the lumineers

outfit:
x