‹ Prequel: It's a Start

Shot in the Dark

Adam

I opened my eyes to see Nate hugging T-Rex against his chest. Everyone left around nine or so last night, so I woke up fairly early this morning. They went still laughing at my stupid jokes too.

I got up and went into the kitchen to make myself breakfast. Nate came padding down the hallway a few minutes after me and I rubbed his head beside me. He sat at the counter, enjoying his favorite cereal while I poured myself a bowl too. We ate quietly and I asked him what he wanted to do today. The playground was the first thing he said.

The light colored sweater was pulled over my head after I changed Nate into his clothes. I put on jeans and rolled up the bottoms, pulling on my boots afterwards. Nate let me paint my nails quickly as I brushed my hair and teeth in the bathroom. He even watched me do it, fascinated. I put my glasses back on and grabbed my things before taking his hand and booster seat. We left a few minutes after he was strapped in and I smiled lightly when he showed me how to do it.

He ran around the playground for hours while I watched closely and talking to Gabby on the phone. She actually took my advice yesterday and went out for drinks with a few of her friends. She said she had a great time.

A little puppy passed me with its owner on the pathway as I sat on the bench. I wasn’t sure what breed it was, but it was adorable. Nate came running over to me, saying that he was tired and hungry. I nodded and stood, taking his hand as we walked back to the car. My mind was slowly working as I pulled out of the spot on the side of the street and started back home. We could have leftover turkey– maybe sandwiches.

“Hey buddy, has mommy ever talked about a puppy at home?” I asked curiously.

He shook his head while paying with the two toys cars. “Mommy said we could get one when I’m older.”

“Hmm.” Would it be wrong of me to take him with me to get a puppy? No, right, because I was taking him with me, not to go get him one. I should be good. “What do you think of Aunt Andy having a puppy at her house?”

“Yeah!”

I laughed and we headed back to my house first to eat. He was excited about going with me and seeing all the dogs. Before I could actually go and adopt the dog, I had to get some supplies first. Nate helped me pick out everything at the pet store and I laughed when he carried the doggie bed for me to the register.

We headed to the animal rescue after that and Nate jumped up and down at the sight of the puppies, pulling on my hand. I laughed and let him take me over, smiling at the girl that greeted us. My heart soared for this brown-eyed and dark colored puppy as they chewed on the kennel they were in. The girl, Steph, took us back and brought the puppy into the small room so we could play with him. He was hyper and friendly and I watched Nate tug on the small rope as the dog pulled on it. Steph was talking to me and just giving me basic information.

“He’s a German Shepard and Pit Bull mix. He’s neutered, all up to date with his shots.” I nodded while watching the two beside me. “He’s not house trained and he will chew on a few things.”

“That’s no problem,” I waved it off and walked out of the small room to stand beside her. “What do you think, Nate?” He looked up at me with a wide grin and nodded his head excitedly. “I’ll take him.”

She cheered for me and went back to get papers to sign. I went over all of them and thanked her as I picked up my new puppy and held Nate’s hand. “Also, keep in mind that he will cry a lot since he’ll be separated from his litter.” I nodded and took that into consideration to prepare myself. Nate jumped excitedly as I put the dog in the small kennel I bought and strapped Nate in his seat.

The sound of his whines made me wince, so I pulled over on the side of the road and turned in my seat to take him out. I pulled back onto the road with one hand, the other brushing his fur to calm him down.

“What are you going to name him Aunty?” Nate asked from the back seat.

I glanced down at the dog in my lap and smiled when he looked up at me. “What do you think, kiddo?” I looked at him through the rearview and saw him thinking.

“Adam.”

“Adam, huh? I like it.” My shoulders shrugged and I put my hand back on the wheel when the light turned green.

“When’s his birthday?”

“Next Friday. Should we have a puppy party for him?” I was too distracted to laugh at Nate’s cheer because the black puppy just peed in my lap for the first time. I started laughing as I pulled onto my street, Nate joining in when I told him what Adam just did.

Say hello to the guy that just peed on me, I captioned before posting the picture of Adam looking up at me. My pants had a little wet round circle on my thigh when I got out and I set him down after putting the leash on him and handing it to Nate.

Adam was too cute for me to be mad about my pants, so I just sucked it up and got everything out of the car. Nate let him loose when we got inside so he could sniff and become familiar with his new home. I set the bed down by my side of the bed against the wall and put out his bowls in the kitchen so he could eat. Good thing he was about to be 12-months because this whole urinating-on-me thing wouldn’t be fun.

Having a dog was going to be great. I’d take him out for a walk, feed him, and play with him and the best part: cuddle with him. Adam’s life would be the best since he had a pretty good owner. While Nate followed him around and played with him, I looked up a few things on my phone that I should know when having my first dog. It was pretty informing and I had a whole other perspective on him now.

What a cutie! Expect Jas and I over soon to steal him ;) Mindy commented on my picture. Leah liked it and texted me saying that she’d spoil him rotten. Like I wasn’t going to do that already.

Nate and I brought Adam outside to run around and play with the new toys we got him. His ears flapped as he trotted around, becoming tired. I cradled him in my arms and brought him inside to my room for a little nap. We all could probably use one. Nate cuddled up beside me with Adam in between us and he fell asleep against my shoulder.

My phone vibrated on my stomach and I picked it up to see that John texted me. A smile spread on my face as I read his message. Halvo is driving me insane, so I thought that Nate would like some McDonald’s or something. Is that okay?

I sent him one back and laid my phone back on my stomach. Adam was breathing slightly on my wrist, little breaths going in and out as he rested. He was curled up into a ball, like a chocolate ball since his hair looked brown instead of black to me. The two on the bed with me had been sleep for about two hours and it was getting close to dinnertime. And wouldn’t it be nice to bathe Adam?

My head turned toward my wide open door when I heard John come inside the house. It took him a few minutes to find me in my room, coming in and smiling down at Adam beside me. He stroked his head a few times; making the puppy wake a little and yawn only to drop his head back down on my hand. He made it so warm during the time that we’d been in here. I didn’t want to, but it’d just be awkward for John to stand there so I slipped away from the two tired boys and walked out to the kitchen with John.

The food that John bought for us was sitting on the counter along with drinks. I hugged him, quietly saying thank you. His fingers played around with the tips of my hair and he was leaning against the counter, the sink behind him. I pulled my head away from his chest and kissed him lightly. I’d wanted to do it since last night. I probably just missed his addictive taste.

John craved more. He leaned down and kissed me again. This time it was less innocent. I pulled away from him when I heard Nate coming down the hallway and I released my hold on his waist. “Hey, buddy. John brought us some dinner. You hungry?”

“Hi, John!” He exclaimed, running over to him beside me. “Look at Aunt Andy’s new doggie!” I smiled as John bent down to his height and Nate told him all about our day. We sat down at the dining table and ate while Adam padded around the house and ate the food that I poured into his little bowl.

Of course he went pee on the hardwood floors and I quickly got up from my chair to clean it. After our dinner, John stuck around for a few hours and he even got to watch Nate and I dance together.

A Guns N’ Roses record was spinning under the needle and Nate decided to start jumping to the beat. He took my hands into his and I laughed down at him as we danced. Adam came running over to my feet, jumping around them and wanting to join in on the fun. I picked him up and twirled around in a circle, listening to John laugh from the couch.

It rained heavy last night, which was even worse. Adam did not sleep that much and he was constantly whining. Poor babe didn’t like monsoons. I lay on the couch with him since I didn’t want his whimpers to wake Nate up and he curled into my chest. He got at least a few hours and I stayed up with him while he cried. I hated his whimpers, but this was going to happen either way. I had to sit it out and make sure he was comforted. You actually have to be friends with the dog in order to call yourself the owner.

Nate did fairly well saying goodbye to Adam. I thought he was going to be a wreck and be in tears, fighting against Gabby. But he was perfect. He patted him on the head in my arms and hugged me around the neck before taking Gabby’s hand and walking outside. Nate was such a sweetheart.

Adam and I went for a walk into town and I grabbed some food from the market for lunch. He sat in between my feet while I ate on the bench and I frowned at his eyes staring up at me, begging for food. I gave him a little, but ended up giving him three more crumbs. He was just too damn cute to turn down. How could you look into those brown eyes and deny him? Not possible.

We walked back home and rested on the couch to watch some movies. I stroked his clean fur, having bathed him early this morning since I didn’t get to it yesterday. So far he was a pretty good puppy to have around and I was still excited about it.

Mindy and Jasper came over for dinner and Mindy could not keep her hands off Adam. She just kept cooing at him, saying how adorably cute me was. She even gave Jasper puppy eyes like Adam, holding him up beside her face.

“Can we get a puppy, babe?” She asked nicely, jutting her lip out.

Jasper laughed at the table and nodded toward her stomach. “I gave you a baby, Min.”

She frowned, but I knew she was happy about the baby nonetheless.
♠ ♠ ♠
can i be friends with all of you seriously
diet soda society: kissy faces sent your way i got the puns from the game the last of us: left behind because i was watching pewdiepie and wow that was 2 years ago when i wrote this but yeah credit goes to the game

snapdaddy is old but its fine

im going to maine in 15 days and ill probably blast coast of maine 50 times in front of my family and they wont get it

guys.................dont hate me but.............theres 3 more chapters left :(( and i hate the ending so much but i dont know what else to do with it im sorry for the disappointment when you read it in a few weeks. :(

i need inspo for writing and i literally have -10000

SONG REC:
we exist by arcade fire
its literally such an amazing music video and andrew does a wonderful job

outfits:
x & x