Through Their Eyes

Anger

“9-1-1, what is your emergency?”

“My store is being vandalized by a man with a bat.” I say calmly.

“What is your location?”

“9256 E Main St.”

“An officer will be there within three minutes.”

“Thank you,” I hang up the phone. The drunk man continues to smash the windows, glass shatters across my display piece. I dread the mess I will soon need to clean up.

The police arrive moments later, and the drunk man is still beating on the already destroyed window displays. It doesn’t take long for the officers to detain the drunk man. One officer places him in the police car and the other approaches me.

“Hi Officer Garret, how’s Lucy?” I ask as he approaches.

He smiles kindly, “We’re doing very well. Expecting our first child!’ He says excitedly.

Officer Garrett was once a customer of mine. I had a lot of trouble reading him, as at the time he came in, Lucy was in a coma from a terrible car accident. He came in once a week, and when she finally awoke, it took only minutes for him to figure it out. They were neighbors when they were kids, and Garrett says he always loved her, I guess a little push was all he needed to get him in the right direction.

“I’m so glad to hear it.” I reply.

“He sure did a number on your place here.” He says while taking in all of the damages.

“I’m not going to press charges.” I tell him, and he looks at me shocked. I shrug, “He’s a lonely man who is down on his luck. I don’t want to make his life any worse.”

“How are you going to get this all paid for?” He asks, gesturing to the mess.

“Someone owes me a favor. And I got insurance after the first time.” I reply.

“Alright, if you say so.” He says, closing his note pad and sticking it into his shirt pocket.

“I do.” I say and wish Officer Garrett well before sending him off. I step inside, crunching broken close as I go. I pick up the phone and dial my good friend Thomas.

“Hello?” He answers.

“Hi Tommy.”

“Hello Ty, how are you doing?”

“Not so well actually. I’m actually hoping to cash in on that favor you owe me.”

“Of course, what do I need to do?"