Status: Unfinished

Pine Trees

Far Behind

Oh how I dread waking up on Monday mornings. Well I guess I really don’t, since it’s a William’s day and I couldn’t be more excited to see Jude, even if it is while I’m cleaning their house. They’re my only house today, and I can imagine running into him and him asking me to stay over and hang out with him. The butterflies that have taken up residency in my belly the past couple days begin to flutter at the thought.

I push myself out of bed and hop into the shower. I take my time making sure to scrub away any possible dirt that make have decided to linger from rolling around on the ground last night. After my shower, I brush my teeth and hair, and put on just a tad of mascara. I wear dark blue jeans and a green flannel, then slip my feet into my Chucks.

I head upstairs to find my dad has already left for work, which is a relief as he won’t pester me about my date. I head out the front door. The sun is shining bright and the air is warm. I take in a deep breathe, inhaling the smell of roses and freshly cut grass. What a wonderful morning!

I walk down the front porch steps, grab my bike, and pedal my way down to the Williams. As per usual, Larry is sitting on the front porch, a newspaper opened in front of him.

“Good morning, Larry!” I call as I walk inside. He responds with a grunt.

“Good morning, Ellie.” I say as I walk into the kitchen. She’s sitting, sipping on a cup of tea, a wild smile spreads from cheek to cheek.

“Hello, love!” She calls, and gestures for me to take the seat next to her. “You must tell me all about your night.”

“I’m going to guess that he already told you!”

“Oh, but he leaves out all of the details I know you will share.” She says with a wink and I can’t help but giggle.

“Are you talking about me?” Jude says with a smirk as he enters the kitchen, heading straight for the fridge.

“No, what would give you that idea?” I tease. Jude turns to give me a glare but it’s not nearly as threatening as mine. I turn to Ellie, “I should get cleaning.” I say and she smiles kindly.

♠ ♠ ♠


“What’s the best place to swim around here?” Jude asks, his fingers running through my hair making me sleepy. I finished cleaning about an hour ago. We’re lying in the grass, shaded by the large willow tree. The sun is showing no mercy, as the temperature continues to rise.

“Mm, there’s this spot under a waterfall that I like. It’s secluded, and beautiful.” I say, my eyes closed, relaxing as her brushes his fingers through my hair. He stops, and moves, so I peak open an eye to see him rolling onto his stomach to face me.

“Let’s go.” He says, his face bright.

“Right now?” I close my eyes in protest. I’m way too relaxed to even think about moving right now.

“Yes, now.” He says and pokes my side, making me twitch. I roll my eyes and sit up. A little too fast the blood rushes from my head and I begin to feel a little light headed. I sit on my knees and close my eyes for a brief moment. When I open them, Jude is giving me a weird look.

“What?” I question.

He shakes his head at me, “Nothing, you’re just weird.”

“Rude!” I yell and lunge at him. He catches my wrists before I reach him, and falls back, rolling over so he’s on top of me.

“Are we going to go swimming?” He asks, pinning me to the ground.

“Um, no.”

Jude begins tickling my sides, the one move he knows will get me to agree. “What about now?” He asks and I screech a yes through my laughter.

“Good.” He says, standing then helping me to my feet.

“I need to go home and change.”

“Okay, why don’t you go ahead now? I’ll do the same, and swing by when I’m done?”

“Sure.” I say, and give him a quick peck on the cheek before heading to the front yard, hopping on my bike, and making the quick ride to my house.

Dad is still at work, he usually is until about six or seven. I go downstairs to my room and strip out of the jeans and flannel I was wearing. I search around the top drawer of my dresser for my favorite purple bathing suit. I hear a knock at the front door, followed by the creaking sound it makes when it’s being opened, and my name being called.

“Uh, I’m down here.” I call back and quickly slip on my bathing suit. I begin searching for a dress to throw on over my bathing suit, but frantically grab an oversized t-shirt when I hear Jude’s footsteps coming down the stairs.

“Wow, so this is your room?” He asks with a smirk.

I glare at him, “Yes, don’t get any ideas.” Jude cocks his head and gives me an innocent smile.

“Is that what you’re wearing swimming?” He asks with a raised brow.

“No, I was just looking for something…” I say and turn my back to him to search through my closet. I find a simple black dress with tiny white flowers.

“Woah, these are some cool crystals.” Jude says.

“Thanks,” I respond and peak over my shoulder to make sure he’s not watching me. I take off the large t-shirt and slip on the dress. I turn around to see Jude, staring at me and I can feel my brows furrowing. I quickly force myself to stop, don’t be shy I tell myself.

“Okay, I’m ready.” I say and slip on my converse.

“About time.” He teases and kisses my lips. I follow him upstairs and out to the van. I’m already dreading getting into the hot vehicle.

Jude starts driving, following my directions as I steer him out of town and into the mountains. “Just pull off here, we’ll have to walk the rest of the way.” I say, pointing to a slow-vehicle turnout area.

We get out of the van, and Jude takes my hand before we begin our trek through the woods. It’s only about a mile away from the road, but most of the walk is uphill through trees and uneven terrain. I try to slow my pace, as I can hear Jude’s heavy breathing, but find myself getting a bit impatient.

“You know, this isn’t that easy.” He says.

“Oh come on, we’re almost there!” I say as we reach the peak of the small mountain. “I can see it from here.” I call to Jude who is about thirty feet behind me. I wait for him to reach me before heading down the other side, this time, I take his hand.

“I call this place, Mermaids Lagoon.” I say as we walk through the trees and approach my favorite swim spot. The falls are bigger this time of year as the snow has melted. The pool at the bottom is calm even under the small falls.

“It’s beautiful.” He says, squeezing my hand.

“And there’s only one way to get in.” I say, looking up to the top of the falls. It’s only about a twelve foot drop from the edge of the falls, but it was quite a bit intimidating.

“No way. I don’t believe that you’ve ever jumped from there.” Jude says with raised brows.

“Uh, yeah huh!” I say, letting go of his hand and making a dash for rocks. You have to climb up the steep siding, but it’s worth it when you get to the top. I stand at the ledge, staring down as Jude waits at the bottom.

“Don’t hurt yourself!” Jude teases.

“Shut up!” I yell back. I slip out of my dress and toss is down to him, “Catch.” I say before stepping back to get a bit of a head start and jumping off of the cliff into the chilly water.

“How’s the water?” Jude asks as I come out for air. I tilt my head at him, then get the brilliant idea to splash him, though I’m sure he could read that on my face because by the time I make the motion, he’s running away.

“Awe, don’t be a wimp!” I yell out, though he has disappeared into the trees. The sun’s reflection off the water makes me squint as I peer through the trees to try to see him.

“Watch out!” I hear from above as a blur of paleness falls into the water next to me. I giggle as Jude surfaces next to me, grabbing my waist and pulling me into a deep kiss.

“I guess it’s not so bad.” He says. It takes me a moment to realize he’s talking about the water. I smile and place another kiss on his lips before splashing him and swimming away before he gets me back.

We swim around for about an hour before the sun hides behind the trees making the air around us too cold to bare the cold water.

“What now?” Jude asks as we reach his van.

“We can hang out at my place, but my dad will probably be home?”

“I like your dad, he’s funny.”

“Don’t tell him that…” I roll my eyes as we start the short drive back.

“I wouldn’t mind getting to know him better.” Jude says, taking my hand in his and kissing my knuckles. “Especially since I have plans to kidnap you for the summer. I want him to at least think his daughter is in safe hands.” He teases.

“You want me to come with you?” I ask, a little surprised.

“I do, I think I’m falling for you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Then he crashed and they died...

Just kidding, of course.