Status: Unfinished

Pine Trees

Dream On

“Dad?” I call as I walk in the front door, Jude following closely. It’s Monday, which is usually barbecue day, so when I don’t get a response, I head for the backyard. I approach the back door, only to stop short at the sight in front of me. What is she doing here?

“What’s wrong?” Jude asks, following my gaze. “Oh, is that..?”

“Ms. Natalie Sinclair.” I mumble.

“Is she…dating your dad?” He asks awkwardly. I look up at him with wide eyes, my expression answering his question. I open the sliding glass door.

“Hi honey!” My dad calls, he’s bouncing baby Maddox on his knee.

“Uh, hi Dad.” I reply. I have a hard time hiding my distaste. We stare at each other awkwardly: me uncomfortable with Ms. Sinclair, and him probably feeling the same way about Jude.

I offer a smile to Ms. Sinclair, trying my hardest to be genuine. I notice she’s not wearing as much makeup as she usually does, though I guess I only ever see her when she’s getting ready to go out. She’s actually kind of pretty without all that makeup caked on. She’s tan, though I’m sure that’s fake, but her face is sprinkled with light freckles. Her dyed blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail. She’s dressed in shorts and a purple and blue plaid shirt.

“Are you going to be staying for dinner, Jude?” My dad asks, standing up.

“Yes, he is.” I say, and reach for Maddox. Dad happily hands him off to me.

“Great!” My dad says, and does that awkward hand shake-hug thing with Jude. Jude looks to me but I just shrug and take baby Maddox out to lawn. “We’re doing burgers, and here, have a beer.” Dad says reaching into the cooler.

“Oh, I’m only twenty.” He says, shifting uncomfortable under my father’s gaze. But that doesn’t stop Dad from handing him one.

“I won’t tell if you won’t, son.” He says and Jude takes the beer. Dad pats him on the back and grins from ear to ear. Jude joins me and Maddox in the shade in the grass. Maddox plays with my hair.

“That wasn’t at all awkward.” Jude says, cracking open the beer Dad handed him.

“You’re telling me.” I sigh.

“Well maybe with her distracting your dad, he’ll for sure let you come with me.” Jude says, and softly touches my cheek.

“Are you sure you want me to come? We still barely know each other…”

“Is there any better time to learn?”

“I guess not.” I say while pulling my hair out of Maddox’s hands as he reaches for his mouth.

“We can go to Seattle.” He says. “You can meet my family, and my friends.”

“Is that really what you want?”

“Why are you so skeptical? I want you to be my girlfriend, and as my girlfriend, I want you to meet my family and friends!” I can’t help but giggle. He really does like me.

“Burgers are ready!” My dad calls. We walk to the picnic table seated on the back porch. Dad had set out all of the fixings: lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions… I hand Maddox to Ms. Sinclair, and take a seat next to Jude, across from her and my dad and begin fixing myself a burger.

“So Jude, do you have any big plans for the summer?” My dad asks while smearing a big glob of mayonnaise on his bun.

“Actually, I’m planning on travelling across the country this summer.” He starts. “I’ve got quite a big family spread over the country I would like meet and visit with, as well as just check out the best of every state.”

“Wow, every state. That’s ambitious!”

“Maybe so, but it’s very doable. I’ve already got my entire trip mapped out.”

“Wow, that’s amazing!” Ms. Sinclair pipes in. “But that’s quite a bit of time to be apart from each other, isn’t it?”

“Uh, actually… I was hoping to get your permission for her to come with me.” Jude says, looking towards my dad who nearly jokes on the big bite of burger he just took.

“That’s such a lovely idea! You’ve never been out of the state, have you Logan?” She asks and I shake my head no, while keeping my eyes on my dad to judge his reaction.

“I don’t know, Lo. That’s very last minute. I don’t know if I feel comfortable enough with you travelling without me.”

“Come on, Dad. I’ve never been anywhere but this town, and it would be a really good experience for me before college starts in the fall. You know I’m responsible, and nothing will happen to me.”

“Oh, don’t be so lame.” Ms. Sinclair says, pinching Dad’s arm. “You were young once, let her go.”

“Please Dad? I have plenty of money, I’ve been saving for years. If anything happens I’ll have a way home.”

“Well -” He starts, but as he looks at the hopeful expressions on all of our faces, he lets out a big sigh. “Fine. You can go, but I’m going to need details. Like, when are you leaving?”

“This weekend.” Jude says.

“Wow, um, okay. I’m going to need a list of names, phone numbers and addresses of the people you’re going to be staying with… And I want you to promise me you’ll call at least every other night.”

“Of course I will.” I say excitedly. I honestly can’t believe he’s going to let me go!

We finish eating and Jude helps me clear the table, bringing the dishes into the kitchen. “I’m so happy he agreed without me having to pull the ‘I’m over eighteen’ card.”

“Me too. I promise it will be the best summer.” Jude says. He wraps his hands around my waist and pulls me into a kiss. I cut it short as I don’t want my dad to see and second guess his decision…”

We walk back outside and Jude stops to talk to my dad while he cleans the grill. I walk out to the yard where Ms. Sinclair is sitting, playing with Maddox in the grass.

“Thank you so much Ms. Sinclair, for helping me convince my dad.”

“Oh, please, call me Natalie.” She says with a kind smile. “And I know that boy will be very good to you.” She says, giving me a knowing look.

♠ ♠ ♠


“Are you going to cry?” I tease my dad as we stand out on the driveway.

“We’ve never been away from each other for more than a few days…” He says fake sniffling. I giggle and wrap my arms around his waist. He squeezes my shoulders before letting go.

“Oh, don’t forget your backpack!” Natalie says, holding Maddox in one hand and my navy blue, fox print back pack in the other. I don’t think I packed anything in that one… But I take it from her anyway.

“I put something special in there for you.” She whispers in my ear and winks. Do I even want to know what it is? I mouth a ‘thanks’, then kiss Maddox on the forehead.

“Are you ready?” Jude asks from the driver’s seat. I nod, give my dad one last hug, and get in the van. We wave as we make our way out of the driveway and down the street.

“Natalie said she gave me something.” I say as I unzip my back pack. I peak inside, then quickly close it. Jude gives me a funny look.

“What’s in it?”

“Uh, nothing.” I lie as the heat rises to my cheeks. I appreciate the extra cash she had stuck in my bag, the condoms? Not so much…
♠ ♠ ♠
~I made a few updates to previous chapters, mostly just better location and character description~