‹ Prequel: Evermore

Everlasting

i.

November 5th, 1784 ;

Mary’s heart raced just as fast as her mind, worry gripped her whole being as her body physically shook in terror. She had no clue where Nathaniel and Alexander were, having run off at the first shot of the rifle their father had fired or been shot with.

The series of unfortunate events that seemed to plague her family was assumed to be just that, unfortunate, but now it was evident it was all intentional. Every broken carriage wheel, lamed horse, fire and death had been from the calculations of a revenge-driven madman.

The flintlock pistol felt heavy in her hand, unfamiliar, but necessary to protect herself and those she loved. After retrieving his rifle from his study, Jonathan had also returned with the pistol. It had been loaded and pressed into her hand, the expression on her husband's face the most dire she had ever seen him as he looked into her eyes, “You have one shot, Mary. If you fire, do it with care.”

Mary had nodded dumbly as she looked at the rifle in his hand. “Jon, I am scared," she whispered, trying to hold back her tears.

“Everything will be fine, Dearest. I do not think you will even need the pistol. Retrieve the boys and lock yourself in our bedroom, I will knock once I know it is safe for you all to come out.”

The kiss he laid on her forehead was brief and was not meant as a romantic gesture but as a reassurance. The pair parted ways and Mary had searched frantically for her sons, finding them hiding behind a curtain in the parlor their cries and sobs having given them away. “Come, now, my lovelies. We will all hide together. Do not fret.”

Mary had gripped the pistol in one shaking hand and reached out with the other towards them when the loud BANG resounded through the estate. Nathaniel and Alexander both screamed and tore off out of the parlor, running towards the stairs that would take the two towards the bedrooms. Mary tried to run after them to soothe their fears and protect them, but at the same time wanted to rush to her own husband’s side and assure herself he was safe.

Mary knew the boys would be safe on the second level of their home. They had lived within the walls of the estate since their births and knew every crevice and hiding place, just as all boys did and whoever it was that had broken into their home was not on the second level. They would be safe, at least for that moment. “Jon,” Mary hissed in a whisper, moving her free hand to grasp the handle of the gun, trying to steady it as she wandered out of the parlor, “Jon!”

Meandering farther from the parlor, Mary tried to follow the path her husband would have taken, finding herself entering the kitchen and letting out a gasp a shock. A pool of blood had formed on the floor, the source unknown as no one was around, but the bright red liquid stood out in the candlelight on the wooden floors.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as a masculine voice growled from behind her, “It is lovely to see you again, Mary but it saddens me it has to be under these conditions.”

Mary gasped, barely holding back a scream as she whirled around, almost tripped over her skirts as she came face to face with the murderer who had plagued her family for the last year.