Give Me Your Heart

23: This Time Around

Staring at the door ahead of her, Riley spared a slightly nervous sigh, trying to swallow the anxious sensation which twitched in her stomach. It had been a while, after they’d talk about their relationship, Riley hadn’t seen Gerard for a few days, but when he’d asked her to his home for dinner, she had known that she couldn’t refuse, even if it did unsettle her slightly, she knew she would regret it if she didn’t try.

It was going to take a little time, for a while, she had grown used to the idea of not being with Gerard, but she knew that she had to give it a chance, even if she was concerned that things would only end up as they had before, she doubted that he would wait around forever.

Taking in a breath, she took a step forwards before she tapped her hand against the door, waiting patiently for a second before Gerard pulled it open, a warm smile on his face. “You actually came” he quipped.

“You thought I wouldn’t?” Riley posed.

“A part of me did” Gerard nodded “You seemed a little hesitant” he added as he stepped out of the door way, allowing her to make her way into his home. He wasn’t surprised, Riley had always had a tendency to be a little cautious, but he was glad that she had shown up, even if it was likely to be slightly awkward. He was merely looking forwards to spend a little time with her.

Riley, who’d followed him into the house, shook her head. “It’s going to take a little getting used to” she quipped.

Gerard nodded his head before he turned on his heel, levelling his blue eyes with hers. “It is” he confirmed softly as he took a couple of steps towards her “But I want to get used to it again, Ry. isn’t that what you want too?” he posed softly, his hand gently reaching out to take hers which fiddled nervously with the side of her skirt.

He didn’t want to repeat himself, after their previous conversation, he was sure that he had been clear with her about what he wanted, but he wanted to ensure that they were on the same page. The last thing he wanted was to get attached to her only for Riley to change her mind further down the line

Riley chewed on her lip for a moment before she spared a small nod, something which made him smile a little before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “You know, I am not going to push you into anything, Riley” he murmured gently.

Riley nodded. “I do” she confirmed gently.

Gerard quirked another soft smile before he placed a hand against her cheek, tilting her head so that he could press a kiss against her lips. Riley startled a little, caught slightly off guard by the soft kiss, but she didn’t pull away from him, something which made the defender smile a little.

He was under no illusions, after the way things had ended for them first time around, it was going to take a little time for Riley to become comfortable in their relationship again, but he knew that it was something he was more than prepared to do. As much as she fought it, they were good together, and he wanted them to at least try to fix what they’d broken.

~#~
“So, how are you feeling?” Gerard posed as he padded into the living room, his hand extending a bowl of dessert towards Riley who sat on the couch, flicking through the television channels. It had been a pleasant evening, despite Riley’s hesitation, the night had been full of pleasant conversation and a little laughter, and she had to admit that she had had a good time, even if there had been a few moments that had felt a little awkward, it had been more comfortable and familiar than she had been expecting.

“I’m feeling pretty good” Riley noted, a soft smile on her face.

Gerard nodded. “And bump’s still kicking?” he posed softly, his hand gently brushing over the bump she carried.

Riley admired the soft look on his face before she nodded her head, moving to rest her hand over his. “He’s a well behaved one” she noted softly “But I doubt that it will stay like that. He’s your son after all” she teased.

Gerard shook his head. “I am sure he’ll inherit your better qualities” he mumbled as he moved to press a kiss against her bump.

Riley shrugged. “I kind of hope he’s like you” she quipped.

Gerard tilted his head. “You do?” he posed.

“You’re a nice guy, Gerard” Riley pointed out gently “You’re thoughtful, warm, cheerful, and that’s without mentioning your looks which we both know are good. I’d like it if he was a lot like you” she enthused softly, a hint of pink playing on her cheeks.

Gerard offered her a warm smile before he pushed himself to his feet, offering his hand back to her. “I want to show you something” he noted softly.

Riley frowned a little. “What?” she posed.

Gerard rolled his eyes playfully before he ducked down, carefully pulling her to her feet. “Just come on” he teased.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look before she nodded her head, following him as he carefully led her through the house, padding up towards a closed door which stood at the top of the stairs. “Gerard?” she posed, eyeing the door a little uncertainly.

“It’s not finished yet” Gerard noted as he set his hand on the door handle “It’s not even close to being done, but I want to show it to you” he noted before he carefully pushed the door open.

Riley offered him a slightly uncertain look before she stepped into the room, her eyes looking around it quietly.

Gerard, who’d stopped in the door way, smiled a little. “It’s going to look a lot better when I’m done with it” he quipped “It still needs some painting and furniture obviously, but I am pretty sure that it will be great” he enthused.

Riley spared a soft sigh before she turned to look at him. “Gerard…”

Gerard shook his head. “I am not suggesting for one moment that you have to move in here, Ry” he noted as he took a couple of steps towards her, his hands gently resting on her hips “I know that you don’t want to do that right now and I get that, but I still am going to need a room for him, even if it is only for the odd overnight stay. I don’t want you thinking that I am trying to push into something you don’t want” he insisted gently.

Riley offered him a soft look before she nodded her head. “I’m grateful for that” she noted softly.

Gerard smiled. “I want to get it right this time around, Riley” he noted softly.

Riley nodded her head gently before she stepped towards him, pressing a gentle kiss to his cheek which made him smile a little. He knew that it was going to take some time, after the way in which their last relationship had ended, he had little doubt that Riley would prove to be more cautious than she had before, but he knew that he wanted to make it work, even if it did have a few hiccups, he wanted to ensure that he and Riley could at least say that they tried.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)