Give Me Your Heart

36: Take Care Of Them

“What are you doing here?” Riley mused as she peeked up at her parents, her expression slightly wary. It was a surprise, after their last visit, she had barely head a thing from them, and she was a little irked that they had appeared without warning, even if she did want to make amends with them, she had been hoping that it would be put off until after the baby had arrived.

Audrey, who was stood beside her husband, smiled. “It’s your baby shower, Riley” she mused “And we couldn’t miss it, even if we’re not on the best of terms. We wanted the chance to make a fuss of you and that bump of yours before he puts in his first appearance” she smiled warmly. She knew that Riley was upset, the expression on her face when she and husband had stepped into the room had confided it, but Audrey wanted to make amends with her daughter, even she and Luis had yet to warm to her boyfriend, they wanted to make things right before the birth of their first grandchild.

Riley shook her head. “You’ve not wanted to make a fuss in the last few months” she countered with a small frown on her face, a sight which made Gerard squeeze her hand, trying to calm her down a little.

“I know, sweetheart” Audrey fussed “And we’re sorry that we’ve not been around” she added as she stepped a little deeper into the room.

Riley offered the older woman a look before she sighed, shaking her head a little. “You can’t just walk in here and expect me to just accept your apology” she mumbled gently “I know you were only looking out for me, but the way you handled it…it hurt me, mama, and I am not just going to forget that” she added, her hand gently squeezing at Gerard’s which held onto it.

Luis, who stood in the doorway, stepped a little further into the room, taking a seat on the table which sat ahead of his daughter. “We just don’t want to see you get hurt, Riley” he noted gently “Last time, the two of you rushed through things and look what that got you. You got hurt, sweetheart, badly, and we’re just wary of seeing that happen again, especially with your baby to think of. We just want to make sure that you’re happy” he added with a small look towards his daughter.

Gerard scoffed a little. “You think I am going to hurt her?” he posed.

Luis shrugged. “I don’t know” he noted “But I do know that I don’t necessarily trust you not to” he added with a firm look towards the defender. He knew that he couldn’t change it, Riley was in love with the defender and there was no changing her mind, but he wanted Gerard to know that he didn’t trust him, even if it did cause a little friction between him and Riley, he wanted the defender to know that he was wary of him hurting his daughter.

“Papa” Riley protested.

Luis shook his head. “I just want you to be careful” he clarified gently “I know I am not going to change your mind about this, Riley, but I don’t want you rushing through it again. I just want to be sure that you’re happy” he added, his expression softening a little.

Riley offered him a soft look before she nodded. “I am, papa” she confirmed softly.

Luis nodded before he flicked his attention to Gerard who eyed him a little uncertainly. “You’re going to look after her and bump, aren’t you?” he posed.

“Of course I am, sir” Gerard insisted softly.

Luis offered him another look before he nodded, offering a hand out towards the defender.

Gerard eyed it a little uncertainly before he stretched his own hand out, shaking the older man’s hand slightly.

Audrey, who was sat beside her husband, smiled a little at the handshake before she flicked her attention back towards Riley, offering her a soft smile. “We heard from your brother that you’re still living with Cassidy” she mused.

“We’ve looked at a few places” Riley noted “But we’ve yet to find a place that we both like. For the time being, I am still living with Cassidy” she added, shifting a little in her seat.

Audrey smiled. “Why don’t you come and stay with us for a little while?” she suggested brightly.

Riley blinked. “What?” she posed gently.

“We’ve got a big place” Audrey enthused with a warm smile “Too big a place for just me and your papa, and we have more than enough space to accommodate you and baby when he comes along. If you’re struggling to find somewhere, you could stay with us” she grinned brightly.

Riley admired the smile on her face for a moment before she sighed, her blue eyes peeking towards Gerard who’d stilled a little at the sound of Audrey’s offer. “Mama, I don’t know…”

“It make sense, Riley” Audrey interjected “You need a place big enough for you and for a baby and me and your papa, we’ve got more than enough room” she enthused with a warm smile.

“Mama, I don’t think…”

“We could start work on a nursery quickly and make sure that everything is in place for when he comes along…”

“Mama, I am probably just going to stay with Gerard” Riley interjected, cutting off her mother.

Audrey blinked a couple of times before she tilted her head, a small confused frown on her face. “What?” she posed.

Riley shifted a little in her seat before she leant forwards, gently taking her mother’s hand. “I appreciate the offer, mama” she murmured gently “It’s very sweet of you, but I think, for the time being at least, it would be better for me and bump if we stayed with Gerard, providing that that is ok with him of course” she added with a small look towards the defender.

Gerard, who looked more than a little surprised at her announcement, nodded. “Of course it is” he breathed softly “I’d love nothing more” he added, quirking a small smile.

Riley mirrored his smile for a moment before she turned her attention back to her mother. “Gracias for the thought, mama” she murmured gently.

Audrey eyed the couple for a moment before she nodded her head, gently squeezing Riley’s hand. She knew that it was going to take a little while, after the way she and her husband had treated her, it was going to take time to fully make amends with their daughter, but she was hopeful. She wanted to be around for Riley and for the baby when he came along and that meant getting used to the idea that Gerard was going to be around for a while.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Phoebe Buffay, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)