Give Me Your Heart

40: The Three Of You

Shifting a little in his seat, Gerard carefully adjusted his arms, his blue eyes peeking down at the little boy who snoozed happily, his tiny nose twitching a little. It had been a while, with Riley having given birth early in the morning she had been quick to fall asleep before the raft of relatives arrived to coo over the new arrival, but Gerard couldn’t, something which had led to him spending a lot of time with the newborn. It still felt a little surreal, despite having watched Riley’s bump grow for nine months, it still felt a little strange to have the baby in his arms, but it was something he was sure he would get used to, even if it did take a while, he had little doubt that he would get used to having Alexander around.

Smiling a little at the soft pout the infant wore, he carefully ducked his head, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of Alexander’s head.

“Has he been to sleep at all?”

Gerard, who was cooing softly to the baby, smiled a little at the sound of Riley’s voice before he lifted his head. “He slept for a couple of hours” he noted gently “And he’s asleep now, but I don’t want to put him down. He seems pretty happy where he is” he enthused.

Riley nodded her head softly before she sat up slightly, a grimace pulling at her features. “And what about you?” she posed, tentatively stretching a little “Have you been to sleep at any point?” she added.

“I’m fine” Gerard noted “I’ll sleep when the two of you are safely at home” he added.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look before the door to the small private room swung open, causing her to look up at Alison who carefully padded inside, a warm smile on her face. “How are you feeling this morning, Riley?” she posed.

Riley thought for a moment before she nodded, a soft smile on her face. “I feel OK” she noted “I’m still sore and tired, but I feel better than I thought I would” she enthused gently.

“You’ll be sore for a while” Alison quipped “But otherwise, both you and Alexander seem remarkably well and I am very happy. I’ll fill out all of the relevant papers, but I am sure that I can discharge you this afternoon or this evening” she enthused.

Riley smiled a little at the idea of heading home before Alexander let out a small whimper, pulling the attention of the adults in the room to him. “I think someone is looking for his mama” Gerard mused as he leant over, gently placing the little boy into Riley’s arms.

Riley carefully adjusted the baby in her arms for a moment before she smiled down at him, a sight that made Gerard grin. The sight of Riley and Alexander was quickly becoming one of his favourite things.

Alison watched the little family for a moment before she cleared her throat, pulling Gerard’s attention to her. “There are some people in reception asking after the two of you” she noted gently “If you want me to, I can send them home” she added, offering him a soft look. She could tell that they were content, since Alexander had arrived, the two of them had looked more than happy in their own little world, and the midwife doubted that they wanted it to end so soon, even if they eventually had to return home. She had little doubt that they wanted it to just be the 3 of them for a little longer.

Gerard shook his head. “I doubt they’d go if you told them to” he quipped with a half-smile.

Alison nodded. “I’ll send them in” she noted.

Gerard offered her a small nod before he flicked his attention back to Riley and Alexander. “You ready for the relatives?” he posed gently.

Riley, who was contently fussing over Alexander, shrugged. “Do I have much of a choice?” she posed.

“Not really” Gerard teased “If we keep them waiting any longer, they might storm the door” he added.

Riley rolled her eyes before she carefully moved to place Alexander into his arms, allowing her to adjust the blankets which sat around her slightly.

“You know, the second you want them to go, I can get rid of them” Gerard noted.

Riley scoffed. “They’re new grandparents, Gerard” she noted “I doubt we could get rid of them for anything” she quipped with a slightly teasing smile.

Gerard rolled his eyes gently before the sound of a squeak from the door echoed, causing him to turn in his seat, his eyes glancing up at Audrey who, accompanied by her husband and Gerard’s parents, stood in the doorway, her hand covering her mouth.

“Mama” Riley quipped “Are you actually going to come inside?” she teased.

Audrey shook her head before she took a couple of steps forwards, her eyes never shifting away from Alexander who stirred a little in Gerard’s arms. “He’s yours?” she breathed.

Riley smiled at the sound of awe in her mother’s voice before she nodded, her blue eyes glancing towards Alexander. “He’s ours” she noted softly “I mean, I still can’t quite believe that I helped to make him, but he’s definitely ours” she babbled. It was still a little strange, the idea that she was a mother, but still she was thrilled, even if it would take a little getting used to, she was in awe of the little boy that she and Gerard had made.

“He’s stunning, Riley” Montserrat cooed softly “You two must be so happy” she added.

“Unbelievably” Gerard mused with a soft smile “He’s perfect and that’s all on Riley” he added with a look towards his girlfriend.

Riley’s cheeks tinted a little pink before she shook her head. “He looks more like you than me” she countered.

Gerard rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face. “He’s beautiful either way, Ry” he assured her softly “Somehow, we managed to make a handsome little boy” he added.

Riley offered him a gentle smile before Audrey stepped towards the defender, wordlessly enquiring whether or not she could hold the baby. Offering her a gentle smile, Gerard carefully placed Alexander into her arms before he moved to settle on the bed beside Riley, his hand finding hers. Riley smiled a little at the feel of his hand before she squeezed it, something which caused him to press a kiss to her head. It was a little unfamiliar, since Alexander had arrived, Gerard had been slightly more affectionate than usual, but Riley didn't mind. If anything, she liked the little change in his demeanour.

Luis watched the couple for a moment before he shook his head, a soft smile on his face “Do we have a name yet?” he posed.

Riley, who had been distracted by Gerard, startled a little at the sound of her father’s voice before she looked up, a small smile on her face “We do” she confirmed “This is Alexander, though he’ll probably just be called Alex most of the time” she grinned.

Luis mouthed the name a couple of times before he smiled. “It’s a good name” he enthused.

Riley quirked a small grin before Audrey stepped towards the bed, carefully placing Alexander into her arms. “We should get a picture of the three of you” she fussed as she moved to pull a camera from her bag.

Riley blinked a couple of times, allowing the word ‘three’ to resonate in her ears, before she nodded, a shy smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. She was sure that it would take a little while to get used to the idea that with Alexander around, their little family had 3 members.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)