Give Me Your Heart

07: How Could We?

“Are you sure that this is a good idea?”

Gerard, who’d moved to pull his car to a stop, rolled his eyes slightly. it wasn’t the first time that Riley had asked the same question, in the half an hour that had passed since he’d collected her from her office, she had asked at least 3 times if he was sure about wanting her to go with him, and he was starting to get a little irked.

He knew that she was worried, even when they’d been dating, Riley had been apprehensive about spending time with his parents, but he wanted her there, even if it would only prompt more questions, he wanted Riley to be with him when he informed his parents that he was due to be a father in only a matter of months.

“I’m sure, Riley” Gerard noted “It’s only lunch. We’ll be here for what, an hour and a half at the most? I am sure that it is going to be fine” he insisted.

“You don’t know that” Riley countered.

“I’m pretty sure, Riley” Gerard quipped as he pushed the car door open “They always liked you and whilst they will ask questions, I am pretty certain that they’ll be excited” he insisted.

Riley offered him a slightly uncertain look before she pushed the passenger door open, padding up towards the house which stood a little away from them. She knew that he had a point, when they’d been dating, Joan and Montserrat had been nothing but nice to her, but still she was concerned. Being their son’s girlfriend was one thing, being the ex-girlfriend that was carrying his baby was another.

Gerard, who’d stepped ahead of her, offered her a slightly look over his shoulder before he padded towards the door, knocking on it gently. “I am sure that you’ll be fine” he noted gently “And the second you’re not, I will leave with you. I don’t want you to get stressed, Riley” he insisted with a slight look down towards her stomach.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look before the door behind him swung open, revealing his mother who tilted her head to one side. “Riley?” she posed.

Riley’s cheeks warmed a little before she quirked a weak smile. “Hola, Montserrat” she noted gently.

Montserrat offered the brunette a slightly odd look before she stepped out of the door way, allowing the pair to step inside. “I had only cooked for 3” she noted gently “I didn’t know that Gerard was bringing company” she added as she led the pair through towards the dining room.

“It’s alright” Riley noted “I’m not all that hungry anyways” she added with a feeble smile.

Montserrat offered her a light smile before she turned to Gerard, wordlessly enquiring why his ex-girlfriend was in her home.

Gerard sighed a little. “You ought to sit down, mama” he noted gently “I need to tell you something” he added.

“You do?” Joan quipped from his seat.

Gerard nodded his head. “I do” he confirmed “And I would appreciate it if you let me get through it before you say anything” he added.

Joan frowned a little, but nodded his head, wordlessly encouraging Gerard to speak.

Gerard offered his parents a look before he peeked at Riley, not missing the way that she had ducked back a little, shyly hiding herself behind him. “A few weeks ago, Riley called and asked to meet me” he murmured gently “She told me that she had something to tell me and, after reaching the end of the first trimester, we agreed that the time had come to share the news with other people. Mama, papa, Riley and I are going to have a baby” he breathed out nervously.

“What?” Montserrat squeaked.

“Riley’s pregnant, mama” Gerard replied gently “She’s a little over 12 weeks now” he added, his blue eyes peeking over his shoulder at Riley who was fiddling with her sleeves nervously, her blue eyes fixed on her feet.

Montserrat blinked a couple of times before she shook her head, a small smile on her face. “You’re going to be a papa?” she posed.

“I am” Gerard confirmed, a small smile on his face “I have a picture if you want one” he added before he stuck his hand into his pocket, pulling out the sonogram picture which resided in his pocket.

Montserrat eagerly took the picture out of his hand and grinned, showing it off to her husband who smiled at the image fondly.

Riley, who was still stood behind Gerard, stepped forwards, her head tilted slightly “You’re not upset?” she posed softly

“Upset?” Montserrat quipped, a small frown on her face.

Gerard shook his head a little before he stepped up to Riley’s side, his arm wrapping around her shoulder. “Riley was worried that you would take the news badly” he noted gently.

“How could we?” Montserrat posed “The situation between the two of you might not be perfect, but the idea that we’re going to have a grandchild is wonderful news” she insisted with a kind smile.

Riley offered her a slight frown, something which made the older woman smile gently. “You two are grownups, Riley” she quipped “And I have the upmost confidence in your ability to figure this out, but mostly, I am happy for you. Come, you can tell me all about it” she enthused before she moved to take Riley’s hand, pulling her away from Gerard.

Gerard watched after his mother and Riley for a second before he felt his father’s hand pat his shoulder, causing him to turn around. “You’re going to stick around?” Joan posed.

“I am” Gerard confirmed “It’s my baby, papa, I can’t just ignore that” he added.

Joan smiled a little. “You’re going to make a wonderful padre” he insisted softly.

“I don’t quite know about that” Gerard countered “But I am looking forwards to it, even if things with Riley are a little complicated” he enthused.

Joan offered him a little smile before he patted his shoulder gently, mumbling something about taking care of Riley before he padded over towards where Montserrat and Riley sat, greeting them with a warm smile.

Gerard hung back a little, his blue eyes watching his parents with Riley for a few moments before his phone buzzed in his pocket, something which made him sigh a little. He knew who it was, even without looking at the screen, he knew the message would be from Alexa, and it merely made his stomach flip a little. He knew that he would have to tell her, even if they had only been dating for a matter of weeks, he knew that he couldn’t keep her in the dark forever, but still the idea worried him. The last thing he wanted was for Alexa to make things hard on Riley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)