‹ Prequel: United

Divided

Icefire's Home

My head was full of history and I rubbed my temples as I walked to the library.

It was fascinating! Icefire said. I did not know so many vampires ruled this kingdom. I wonder how many blue pocket dragons there are. She was on my head again but bent her long neck to look at me upside down. What do you think, Father? Do you think there are others?

I smiled and tickled her chin. “Yes, I do. We just have to find them first.”

She purred and straightened her neck as we walked into the library. Tetra was there already and quickly hid her face when she saw us. I frowned. I could feel her sadness.

“What is it, Tetra?” I asked.

“Nothing,” she said but her nose was stuffy. She cleared her throat. “Your mother helped me find the books about pocket dragons. I found something that I think Icefire will be excited about.”

Is it about blue dragons?

“Yes,” Tetra answered and I froze. She frowned when she realized we were still at the door. “Are you going to come over here or just stand at the door?”

“Y-You can hear what she says?” I whispered.

Tetra sat up straight. “Of course I can. I thought everyone could.”

“N-No they can’t,” I breathed. “Um… it doesn’t speak about that in the books?”

She shrugged. “I haven’t gotten to the last book yet. I saved it for later because it just speaks of when they shed their scales and how to know when they have reached maturity.”

She was reaching for it and I quickly snatched it away. I cleared my throat and put it back in the bookshelf.

“We don’t need it,” I said when she looked at me curiously. “Why didn’t you say anything before?”

“Like I said, I thought everyone could hear her. I didn’t think it was important.”

I sat down across from her slowly. She stared back, obviously confused. Her eyes were puffy. I knew she had been crying. But why?

What did you find about blue dragons? Icefire asked, breaking the silence.

“Oh,” she said and put the book in between us.

We leaned forward and Icefire made a squeal of joy, doing a bit of a loop in the air.

I am not alone! There are others, Father!

I smiled and she nuzzled my nose. Tetra grinned.

“They’re mostly found up north,” she explained. “You see, Icefire was born of the cold and ice. Usually they can’t survive in heat. Did you hatch her egg in the fire?”

“Yes,” I said. “We weren’t aware she was a blue dragon. I assumed she was a red dragon because her shell was pink.”

She shook her head. “Not necessarily. I don’t know how your parents got their hands on her since she should have been in the north, but she survived because she was born in the fire. If she had hatched in snow or ice and then come here, she would not live.”

I looked to Icefire. She was staring at the picture in fascination. I ran my finger down her spine.

“Would you like to go to the north, Icefire?” I asked and she stared at me. “You can live among your kind, your family.”

She flapped up and settled on my shoulder. You are my family, Father. But I would like to see them.

“May I join you?” Tetra asked, looking embarrassed. “I understand if you don’t want me to but-”

“Certainly,” I interrupted and she smiled a little. “The trip there will take about a week if we move constantly. How often do you need to rest?”

“Every evening,” she answered. “I am faster than others, though; especially when I transform into my wolf.”

I nodded thoughtfully. “So, with that in account, it’ll take us a week, give or take a few days. We’ll stay for a bit then come home. Does that sound agreeable, Icefire?”

She squealed. Yes!

We both laughed and the door opened. My mother walked in with… all four elders.

Before they could speak, Icefire barreled into her. My mother laughed.

“What’s got her so happy?” she asked.

We found my people! And we found Father’s-

“We found out where the other blue dragons are,” I interrupted and my mother’s jaw dropped. “They’re in the north. The three of us are going to visit them.”

“All three of you?” Elder Donne asked.

“Icefire, Tetra, and I,” I nodded.

“Young prince, there is darkness happening in the north,” Elder Arlan said softly. “We can’t let you go until we find out what it is.”

I shrugged. “We’ll investigate it,” I said. “And, while we’re there, Icefire can see her kind.”

The elders shared a look.

“H-How long will you be gone?” Elder Maria asked.

“Well, it takes about a week to get there,” I answered, showing them the map. “We’ll investigate for a day, let Icefire visit, then come back. Maybe three weeks?”

“No!” Elder Maria cried.

I blinked.

“Maria, come with me,” my mother said.

Elder Yovel bit his lip, looking between us.

“What’s going on?” I asked. “You look like someone died.”

“It’s about… about Tetra,” Elder Yovel whispered.

“What about her?”

Behind me, Tetra whimpered. I looked over. Her eyes were wide and full of tears. I hurried to her side. She had gone very pale and I looked at everyone.

“Someone explain!” I said.

“Um… it-it is time for you to seriously consider getting married,” Elder Yovel said, looking at me nervously.

“Speak open in front of him,” Elder Donne said. “He is trustworthy.”

“He can do it, can’t he?” Tetra whispered. “And he will, won’t he?”

“Yes,” Elder Yovel said, his face and voice full of pain.

Tetra began to sob and I put my arms around her.

“What’s going on?” I demanded.

“Bardawulf,” Yovel said, sitting on the other side of Tetra. “He is… I believe he is going to try and impregnate Tetra.”

My stomach dropped. “No!”

He swallowed thickly. “One month,” he choked out. “One month, little cub. Are you certain you still wish to go on this endeavor?”

“One month for what?” I asked.

Father, she will not survive if he does this, Icefire said and Tetra’s sobs doubled. You must tell-

“Come with us,” I said, my voice shaking. “I-I don’t know what this one month shit is about, but come with us. We’ll figure it out while we travel.”

Elder Donne narrowed his eyes at me. “Elder Yovel, perhaps you should take Tetra home. I will be in touch.”

“Come on, Tetra,” Elder Yovel said. “You need to lie down before you-”

Whatever fear she was experiencing overcame her and she fainted. Yovel sighed and lifted her with ease, carrying her out. When the door closed, Elder Donne walked forward.

“What do you know?” he asked and I hesitated. He pointed at the door. “That girl’s life is in danger! Now tell us what you know!”

I was shocked at his tone of voice. It was frightening.

“She can hear Icefire,” I said and the dragon settled on my shoulder.

“What does that have to do with this?” Elder Donne demanded.

I sighed and went to the bookshelf. I took down the book and turned it to the right page. I handed it to him just as Elder Maria and my mother came back in. They read over his shoulder and Maria started to cry.