‹ Prequel: United

Divided

Getting Ready

I woke up in Elder Yovel’s hut. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. He was just outside the hut, speaking in undertones to someone.

“Are you absolutely certain?” he whispered.

“Yes,” Elder Maria whispered back. “I read it myself.”

“Is this wise, Maria? Does he even feel it?”

“Not yet. He admitted it himself. But perhaps three weeks will give them enough time.”

Elder Maria was crying and I sat up. “I don’t want to lose her, Yovel. Not after I let her be banished from the realm.”

Yovel sighed as I stood up slowly. “It wasn’t your fault, Maria. You can’t keep blaming yourself for that.”

“Elder Yovel?” I asked, leaning against the table and trying to walk to the door.

Both elders hurried in.

“You’re awake,” he said, helping me stand.

“What’s wrong, Elder Maria?”

“Nothing of importance,” she said, wiping her face. “We went through the specifics with Prince Jacob. You leave tomorrow morning.”

“Okay,” I said slowly. “But I thought you didn’t want me to go.”

“He explained everything. You will be well protected.”

Yovel smiled at me. “Take Elder Maria to the course. Show her what you can do.”

I stared at him. “That’s against the law, Elder Yovel.”

“I’m giving you an exception,” he said. “Besides, you are still human inside.”

I smiled and held Maria’s hand as we walked.

“Have you seen a transformation before?” I asked, stopping by my hut to get a change of clothes.

“Just once,” she said. “When I joined the elder council, Elder Yovel transformed for me.”

I nodded and led her to the course. I put the clothes down and sighed.

“I’ll look different from the others,” I said.

“Okay,” she said slowly.

I cracked my neck and focused. My back bent, my arms turned into legs with large and powerful paws. My body popped up white fur and I felt my tail extend. I looked at Elder Maria.

“Tetra?” she breathed and I nodded, walking over and she put her hand out to pet me. I licked her hand and she giggled. “You’re white.”

I nodded again and gestured my head to tell her to watch.

I got at the first obstacle, wiggled my rear to make her laugh, and bounded through the course. It was exhilarating and my wolf was ecstatic to get out and run. I did the course several times before stopping, panting slightly. Maria’s jaw was hanging open and I became a human again, putting on the clothes I brought with me.

“That was amazing,” she said. “Oh, you’ll be just fine and- Your hair, it’s turning white.”

I looked at the streak. “Yes. I think it’s happening because I was a human. I’m going to talk to Elder Yovel before we leave.” I sighed and sat down. She joined me. “I’m scared, Maria.”

“About the trip?”

I shook my head. “About Bardawulf.”

She sighed and put her arm around me. I rested my head on her shoulder.

“You will be safe as long as you stay with Yovel or Prince Jacob.”

I frowned. “What can Prince Jacob do?”

“Just trust me,” she whispered. “Let’s go find out why your hair turns white.”

“You’re not telling me something,” I said. “But okay.”

-

“You are correct,” Yovel said, going over what I packed obsessively. “And since you are the only white wolf, your hair is going to be full white by the time it’s done.”

I frowned. “Will it harm me or my health?”

“Not at all, my dear,” he said and stood up straight. “I think you have everything you’ll need…. You have five blankets. It gets cold up there. Queen Lillian Greentree made some of her nausea tonic for you to take with you should the aura overwhelm you. Prince Jacob is getting all the food together. He’s strong but, don’t tell him I said this, you are stronger in your wolf form. I put in plenty of clothes for you when that does happen and-”

“Yovel,” Maria interrupted with a smile. “It’s time for her to leave.”

He sighed. “Right. Sorry. Here you go,” he said and passed me the bulging bag. I shouldered it. “Please be safe.”

“I will,” I smiled. “We’ll be back in three weeks.”

“Of course,” he said and they both walked with me to the palace.

There wasn’t a specific trail so we couldn’t take a carriage or horses. We didn’t need them, though, since we were fast and stronger than normal to begin with. I was still susceptible to the cold, however, so Yovel kept harassing me as we walked about making sure I used the blankets and Icefire’s fire if need be.

“We’ll be back,” Prince Jacob said, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “Trust me, Elder Yovel.”

He bit his lower lip but nodded. “Okay. I’m putting all of my trust in you, Prince Jacob. We all are.”

“I know,” he said quietly. “I won’t let you down.”

I frowned. “What are you talking about?”

It is time to go, Icefire said and I adjusted the strap on my shoulder.

“Well, what are we waiting for?” I asked and Prince Jacob shouldered his bag, too.