Genetic Design for Dying

the drunk time travelers

“Type in 3091.”

Azaria types the numbers into some app when she says, “Got it.”

Maps? Uber? Is she looking for directions to that address I gave her or is she finding a driver?

The room suddenly spins, which causes the colors around me to fade. I start to taste metal in my mouth, realizing it's odd but bearable. My vision starts to sharpen once I become less dizzy, but it's still confusing. I look at my best friend and she’s closing her eyes so tightly that I can see the veins running down her eyelids.

“Azaria, you can open your eyes now,” I say to my distant, shaking friend. “Whatever that was, it’s done.”

Azaria lets out a puff and asks, “Why are we in the year 3091? Why is this time so special, Raveena?” She’s about thirty percent more sarcastic while drunk, so she’s much more irritable than normal. While glaring at me, she holds up her beer bottle towards the sky, I don’t know why the sky, and waits.

I squint. “No, that's just the address of some guy from the party,” I say, referring to our block party a couple minutes ago. I whisper the words like it’s normal but then it hits me like a sudden wave against land. I let out a heavy gasp. “Oh shit! Oh - 3091 - what?! That was the address of Shirtless Guy.” I’m panicking. “You know, Shirtless Guy, the one with blond hair and nice eyes. Azaria!”

She’s practically crying in the inside but she’s covering it up with her hostile attitude. But her temper shifts the minute Azaria shakes her head once more and whispers, “What did we do?”

“Why do you have a time traveling app on your phone anyway?”

Azaria clicks her tongue and shakes her head. She’s staring at me while rolling her eyes; honestly her glares can make anyone faint.

“My aunt was experimenting again and needed a phone with a specific amount of gigabytes and so I decided to help her out.”

“Oh, the one who does research at USC?”

“Yeah! She’s the one and -”Azaria pauses and purses her lips. “Raveena! This isn't the time for small talk!” She’s right but I can't control this part of me when I'm extra buzzed. Azaria puffs, “We're drunk and we’re somehow in year 3091; and yet you’re here making small talk about my eccentric aunt.”

I shrug and try to reason, “I was just trying to remember his address.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I like writing the lowkey humor in this

THANK YOU TO THE RECS / SUBS ♡