Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Handicap

Present Day

I sighed impatiently, watching the customs officer take his time going through my suitcase.

“Could you hurry?” I snapped. “I’ll miss my flight!”

He glared and started going slower, if that was even possible. I groaned.

I was in the Houston International Airport and needed to catch my flight to Oklahoma City in thirty minutes. The issue: it was on the other side of the damn airport and the officer thought I had more than I actually claimed.

“You Americans are all the same,” he scoffed.

I just grabbed my suitcase and walked as quickly as I could to the gate. By the time I reached it, I was limping again. I threw myself into my seat and got my cell phone out, calling my mom.

“Hey, sweetie! Are you Stateside yet?”

“Yep,” I said. “I’m waiting to board for OKC now.” I cleared my throat. “Look, could you bring my cane with you?” I murmured. “I know you don’t like it but-”

“Honey, it’s not about me. Of course I’ll bring it. Did you have to do much walking?”

I sighed. “Not exactly. Damn customs officer took his sweet little time because he thought I brought things on the plane. I had to practically jog to get to the damn gate.”

“You should have gotten a chair, Nova.”

I wrinkled my nose. “Not a chance.” People started to stand up so I sighed. “Looks like they’re boarding. I’ll see you in a couple hours.”

“Okay. Love you!”

“Love you, too, Ma.”

I hung up and stood with difficulty.

“Ma’am, do you need some help?” an old woman asked and I stared at her. She smiled sheepishly. “I wasn’t meaning to eavesdrop but I heard you needed a cane and I saw your-”

“Thank you but I’m in first class so I won’t have to walk far,” I interrupted, turning away.

“Oh, I didn’t mean to embarrass you,” she said quickly. “My husband has his cane with him and our flight isn’t for a while.”

I looked at it. The offer was tempting. I sighed and relented.

“Thank you,” I said as she handed it to me.

It was a bit tall but would work for now. I smiled graciously to her husband who just nodded with a sad smile. I knew what was going through his mind: Such a young lady shouldn’t need a cane. The stewardess let the woman carry my suitcase for me to my seat.

“Thank you again,” I sighed, passing it to her. “And thank your husband for me.”

“You’re welcome,” she said and hesitated.

“It was a car accident,” I said before she could ask, pulling on my sleeve.

“Right,” she breathed. “Have a good flight.”

I just nodded and stared out the window. Another stewardess came by with a cushion and I resisted the urge to groan. My mother must have called ahead. Knowing that I needed the help, I let the stewardess put my leg up for me and wrap the cushion around my ankle.

“Mrs. Harrington didn’t specify where to put it,” the stewardess said, looking nervous. “Is this the right spot?”

I smiled at her. “It’s perfect… Phyllis,” I said, reading her name tag. “Thank you for going the extra mile for me.”

“Of course! We want to make sure all of our patrons are comfortable.”

I nodded and closed my eyes. I leaned back and accepted the warm cloth that came with being on first class. I put it over my eyes so I wouldn’t have to see anyone, cursing myself for wearing this shirt. I forgot that the sleeves had a tendency to ride up, revealing the tip of my scar. Unconsciously, I put my hand on my stomach.

I did my best not to cry as I remembered the night that had changed my life forever.

-

When we touched down in OKC, I waited for everyone to get off first. Before I could even move, my mother came on the plane. I smiled at her and hugged her, getting up with difficulty. She gave me my cane – purple with black stars – and got my suitcase for me. The cane brought relief but I hated the stares it brought with it.

I smiled as I walked out, though, looking at the familiar airport. I had come back each year for Christmas but I couldn’t stay long each year. Now I was back for good and it felt nice. I’d miss my friends at Oxford but that was the benefit of cell phones and social media.

My dad was waiting outside of security and I gave him a hug.

“It’s good to see you,” he said, kissing my cheek and I winced. “Shit. Sorry. I keep forgetting where it is.”

“That’s the point,” I said and cleared my throat. “So, where to next?”

I got in the van and lifted my leg carefully.

“We were going to take you out to eat but if you’re not up to it….”

I scoffed. “Of course I’m up for it! Just as long as it’s-”

“Santa Fe,” we said in unison and I laughed.

My phone buzzed and I grimaced at the screen. It was Paul.

“International rates,” I said as soon as I answered the phone.

“Did you make it safely?”

“No. The plane crashed.”

“Haha, very funny,” he said dryly. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay, Nova. I tried to tell you about your shirt but you practically flew out the door.”

I sighed. “Yeah, I know. I forgot until I got to Houston.” I cleared my throat. “Look, thanks for calling me but-”

“I know. International rates and all that.” We both laughed. “Don’t be a stranger!”

“I won’t,” I promised. “Bye.”

“Bye, babe.”

I hung up and shook my head. How many times had I told him not to call me that?

“Was that Paul?” my dad asked with a frown.

“Yeah,” I said. “At least he’s being friendly now,” I pointed out when I saw the dark look on his face.

My mom laughed. “After the beating your father gave him, he better be nice!”

I smiled. Paul and I had dated three years ago for about two years. I brought him home for Christmas one year. We got into an argument because I wouldn’t sleep with him. My dad heard when he started calling me a whore and made sure Paul remembered I wasn’t just a sex object. We broke up shortly after that. I couldn’t stand him constantly pressuring me for sex and he was humiliated by my dad beating him up. Eventually, his pride fell away and we became friends though we kept each other at a healthy distance.

“So, what’s this big job you were talking about?” my mom asked once we were seated.

“A seat on the board at McKinley, Incorporated,” I said excitedly.

“Wait,” my dad said. “Did you say McKinley?” he asked, looking up from the menu with a frown.

“Yeah. Why?”

He shared a look with my mom who shook her head. I frowned.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“It’s just… they don’t have any female board members,” my mom said and I shrugged, picking my menu back up.

“Is that all? Psh. Times change. I’ll be the first female. It’s good for everyone.”

“Definitely,” my mom said. “Strawberry Daiquiri?”

I giggled. “Hell yeah!”