Somewhere Only We Know

Matt

Dear Matt,

I’m glad that you are doing well. And there’s nothing wrong with being a little corny. :) I can’t even imagine what it’s like out there and think it’s so brave of you to be doing this for your country.

Despite what I might have told you, I enjoy reading when the words are written by you, so tell me as much as you’d like in your future letters. Things are the same here, very quiet. The garden looks beautiful this time of year. I particularly love the pink roses that are growing in the back corner. They’ve started to grow into the ivy on the fence and it’s really quite beautiful. I’m thinking of hanging some lights around to make it visible at night.

Not much else to write about, really. I’m sure things are much more exciting on your end of the world, so be safe and stay strong…and try not to let things get too gay.

Sincerely, J


“Are you reading that thing again?” Brian asked, having just sat down on his cot. “That’s like the third time in an hour.”

“It’s just weird,” Matt said, frowning at the paper. “Jane was pissed that I enlisted. Why is it suddenly brave of me to be doing this for my country?”

“She probably just gained some perspective from your last letter,” Brian said with a shrug, starting to unlace his boots.

“And she’s so proper.”

“Some people are really proper-sounding on paper. Even the most ditzy girls can sound smart in a letter.”

“I guess,” Matt agreed reluctantly, running a large finger over the i in sincerely. It was dotted with a heart.

The letter made Matt suspicious and he didn’t quite know why. It was true that he and Jane had never corresponded this way. In fact, he hadn’t seen her handwriting since they had first started dating two years ago. He couldn’t even remember what it looked like, though he wouldn’t have imagined it as neat and swirly. Somehow, the heart over the i just didn’t seem her style.

“Relax,” said Brian, noticing Matt’s expression. He kicked off his boots and stretched his arms over his head. “Seriously, Jane could be kind of a b. Embrace the change. It’ll probably go back to normal when you’re back home.”

Matt sighed and looked at the letter again. “You’re right. I should just accept it.”

“What was that first part again?” Brian asked, smirking.

“Oh, shut up.”

Brian shrugged and then lay down with his back to Matt, his clothes still on and his black hair still plastered to his head by the sweat and wearing a helmet all day.

Turning his attention back to the letter, Matt gave it another read and found himself smiling. His and Jane’s relationship had been in a bit of a rough patch for the past several months and it was nice to feel a little affection. His eyes kept traveling back to the heart over the i.

Matt stood up, tucking the letter into his pocket, and headed out of the tent. Hot air baked his cheeks instantly. Sweat began to bead up on his forehead and neck, but the sun was touching the horizon and the air would start to cool off soon. Matt walked carefully toward the cantina (what they called the tent where they kept the supplies and sometimes played cards at night), his feet sinking into the sand with every step.

A card game was in progress as Matt lifted the tent flap and stepped inside. One of the soldiers offered him a chair but he refused and went into the corner. He went to the chest and debated between beer and water. He’d gotten pretty heavily into drinking since last year and, feeling more optimistic than usual, he passed it over and took a cold bottle of water instead.

“No cheating, Grey,” Matt called as he passed the game and caught one of the men sneaking a glance at his neighbor’s cards.

“I knew you were cheating! I want my money back!” exclaimed another soldier. Matt chuckled as he left the tent.

The air was a fraction cooler and Matt decided to enjoy the slight breeze by sitting under the one tree in the area. Once he had settled into the sand, his back against the dry bark, he pulled the letter back out and read it again.

I particularly love the pink roses that are growing in the back corner. They’ve started to grow into the ivy on the fence and it’s really quite beautiful.

Matt smiled, picturing the garden in his mind’s eye. It had usually been he who spent the most time in it, tending the flower bushes and maintaining the high, wooden fence that enclosed it all. He supposed that, now that Jane realized that she missed him, she was spending more time in it because of this. At least, that’s all he could figure to have changed her opinion of it. The last time they had discussed it, Jane had demanded to know when he was going to trim ‘the weeds that were growing up over the fence.’

But Brian was right. If missing him was making her rethink her attitude about things like his joining the military or the simple beauty of a garden, who was he to complain. Resolving to enjoy this change, Matt pulled a pen from his pocket and began to write back. He wasn’t sure why, but something told him that something had changed and, until he found out what, he would have to resign himself to being baffled by his soulmate’s mysterious attitude adjustment.