Vulpine Summer

Chapter Fifteen

Esme held up the shirt before her, splaying it out in the sun so she could decide whether or not it was safe to put on. As she twisted it, squinting her eyes in judgement, she found it was covered in suspicious blood stains and stitching was coming loose. It was no good. She tossed it away with a stifled sigh and grew increasingly irritated when she reached to tug at a lock of hair only to be reminded it was blond and very short.

While the air was muggy and warm, being naked wasn't ideal, especially in a stranger's home. But finding clothes she felt weren't going to make her feel like a sewer rat was difficult. Most shirts were either ancient with old smells and stains still clinging to them, piled in a corner ready to be washed or sitting in the laundry tub filled with cold water and grey suds.

There had to be something somewhere for her to cover herself. She didn't want to be parading about with all her assets on display, especially with the only window, which had to be open or she'd die of heat, facing onto a busy street. She didn't like how the thin curtains flapped in the gentle breeze and how they sometimes got a little too close to revealing her nakedness to strangers.

'I dislike this Absolon. I once had a variety of dresses made from velvet, satin and chiffon and Cassandra was always there to help me pick out the best ones.' Esme muttered to the dozy Sprite. 'Now I am stuck in this dreary dump, sifting through age old shirts, most of which appeared to be unwashed.'

He squeaked awake from his place on the bed at the sound of her grumblings and blinked slowly before he began to sing. She smiled at his attempt to make her feel better; a smile which vanished within a second when she heard the door handle rattle.

Esme, for just a second, stood stark naked and very still, like a deer caught in headlights. Then very quickly began to scrabble for the ancient scratchy blanket as her heart hammered and her skin grew pink. SHe barely managed to clutch it to her chest as the door flung open and Fox barrelled inside.

She stared at him, red faced and wide-eyed, as he slammed the door behind him and, not only locked it, but bolted it and rammed a chair under the doorhandle. Breathing heavily, Fox's shoulders slowly sagged and he turned to Esme.

Instantly he looked a little taken aback and she swore a flicker of interest flashed over his features. She didn't like that expression, especially when felt her heart skip a beat in excitement and felt briefly attractive. She tightened her grip on the blanket and stood tall, getting rid of the embarrassed and vulnerable expression on her face and replaced it with something haughty.

'What is it?' She demanded defensively.

Fox shook his head, as if trying to rid thoughts from his mind, and tossed a paper-brown parcel over to her. 'Get dressed. We're leavin'.'

Esme frowned as she very carefully knelt down, making sure the blanket remained wrapped tightly, and picked the parcel open.

'What has happened?' She asked as she pulled out the clothes. She wrinkled her pale nose in unhappiness. Men's clothes again.

'They're comin'.'

'Who?'

'The Hunters. They're sweepin' the District. So we need to leave.' Fox said and waved his hands impatiently. 'Now. So get dressed.'

Esme's heart sunk. The Hunters? They were now loosed? Suellen's sighting her and being so close must've been the push to get them released. She had the evidence she needed to say Esme was still in Lakeside and the Spirits defences showed Esme was a magical threat, despite everyone knowing she was useless with magic. It wasn't going to be very long now, not long before she was caught. They could sniff out whatever they needed so long as they had the hair, blood or name and, with access to the Grand Wizard's apartments and Esme being well known, there was no way they were going to miss her.

'Dupont. Get dressed. We've movin'.' Fox snapped as he towered over her, clicking his fingers to get her to focus.

Esme peered up at him, her eyes wide with fear. 'Hunters are the worst thing that could've happened. If I was still with Tranquil and Oak, I would be safe. They would not be able to find me. But I am not safe anywhere in this city, not while they're hunting.' She placed a hand over her mouth as she felt her throat tighten. 'They will find me no matter where I am in Lakeside.'

'Well they haven't found you yet.' Fox said roughly. 'If they knew you were here, they would've come for you. Instead they're sweepin' and readin' the minds of any working man with red hair.'

Esme furrowed her brow in confusion before she remembered Absolon held not only the Eye but the small gift from River Oak. She smiled in relief.

'The rock. It will deflect magic for a while.'

'Which is why we need to get movin'. It won't keep them blind to you if they wonder in here.'

Esme nodded, feeling relief she was safe for a little longer.

'Now get dressed. I want out in mintues.' Fox said urgently as he began to dive about his home, gathering things into his bag.

Esme tried to pay little attention to him and ensure he didn't sneak in any looks or tried to time her actions. Dressing while keeping herself covered was difficult but she just about managed it. By the time Fox had filled his bag up and burnt several bits of paper, Esme was covered and wasn't too happy with her chosen attire. She wore thick overall trousers covered in old soot stains, a grey shirt and a cheap chequered waistcoat common amongst young working men. It was all so drab and everything felt itchy and scratched against her skin but the worst was how cheap everything was made. The materials were bad, the stitching barely holding itself together and the colours were weathered and worn.

She peered at herself in the grubby mirror curiously and frowned. While her body, luckily, didn't show any of what little femininity she had, her face looked much too soft and pampered in comparison to her clothes. She looked like a feeble, lanky young boy who hadn't worked much in his lifetime. She at least didn't instantly recognise herself as Esme Dupont.

'I look...wrong.'

'Yeah.' Fox agreed. 'Too much pamperin'. That'll get fixed in time. You won't have time for the creams and makeup for a while and some good old weatherin' to the skin will dry it up and tan it.'

Esme frowned then waved at herself. The image waved back. She furrowed her brow. This image didn't look like her at all. She had once been a fashionable woman with dark well cut hair, beautiful shades of make-up and vibrant eyes. Now she was dressed like a poor man, with cropped blond hair, dull eyes and looking very lost. It made her feel a little sad at how much her life had changed in only a couple of days.

'We'll say you're a sickly cousin. Don't work much or get out. Too much physical stuff sends you to bed for days. Would explain those soft hands of yours.'

Esme wanted to point out she looked too healthy to be sickly, her skin was vibrant and plump, but chose not to. There was no point. This was the best they had.

'You ready?' Fox asked as he fidgeted by his door.

Esme glanced over the place then remembered she didn't really have anything. The whistle was nestled between her breasts and Absolon twirled in the air with the Eye and the rock in his belly and her Grimoire on his back. After a life filled with so much clothes, books and items, it was strange she had so little. Her heart twisted with another shudder of sadness.

'Yes. I have everything.'

'Great. Follow me and stay close.' Fox said firmly as he scowled at her. 'Don't run off and don't do anythin' without my say so. Gettin' you across town is goin' to be hard enough as it is without you digging your heels in.'

Esme eagerly nodded in agreement, despite disliking his tone. She wasn't going to jeopardise her escape efforts. It's why she needed him. He knew how to slip her by the people hunting for her.

Fox pulled away the chair, unbloted the door and stuck his head out. He held up his hand and glared at her to stay put as he swept outside, leaving the door slightly ajar. Esme fidgeted nervously, toying with the frayed cuffs of her alien clothes. Absolon drifted nearby, clutching her Grimoire as he whistled dopily.

'We will not get caught Absolon.' Esme muttered, mostly to reassure herself and try to soothe the incessant nervous fluttering of her heart.

She jumped slightly when the door swung open and Fox waved at her.

'Got a ride. Come on.' He hissed. 'Lock the door behind you.' He added then vanished.

Esme hurried after him, finding the thick worker's boots awkward to walk in. She felt like an elephant by how heavily she clomped about.

Fox was outside, waiting at the top of the small crooked steps. She could instantly tell he was nervous. He kept glancing down the street and rubbing the back of his neck. When Esme finally reached the stairs and awkwardly climbed them, she peered down the street and instantly felt very cold. A man in white was talking to a group of men. A Hunter.

'Don't see me.' Esme thought firmly. She didn't have nearly enough strength to fight of an average level Wizard, let alone one who was trained to arrest rogue Wizards and Occultists.

'We ready?' Fox demanded as Esme stood beside him.

A chubby man with a greying beard that covered his many chins was leaning over the bonnet of his ancient taxi, turning the lever as quickly as he could.

'Nearly.' He grunted between heavy breaths.

Esme didn't notice Fox's attention had shifted from the old taxi and was now on her, she was paying too much attention to the Wizard down the road who had now moved onto another man, so when Fox nudged her firmly in the side with his elbow, she jumped slightly.

'Stand better. Slouch. Like this.' He whispered hoarsely and gestured to himself.

Esme glanced at his bad posture and was about to say no until she realised she probably looked very odd by how the taxi driver kept giving her weird looks and it wasn't because he was recognising her as Esme Dupont. She checked herself, realising she had clasped her hands together and held them neatly at her front and stood as elegantly as Cassandra always taught her. She was supposed to be a low-class boy, not a high-bred lady now. So she stuffed her hands in her pockets and tried to mimic Fox. It was uncomfortable.

'She's ready. Get in.' The taxi driver announced as he slammed the old crusted yellow bonnet down.

Fox leapt to the taxi door and yanked it open, grabbing Esme's arm and bundled her in quickly. He gave the Wizard down the road one last glance before he got in himself and slammed the door after himself.

Esme tried to make herself comfortable in the taxi but it was difficult. The model was old and truly showed it. The seats were stained and lumpy, the roof low forcing her to curl a little, and the whole thing stank of tobacco, alcohol and vomit. She hated it. Absolon gave some comfort as he popped up on her lap, invisible but she could feel his warmth.

'You said South Side?'

'Yeah. Near the Blue Fountain. Go the long way too.'

'That'll cost you more.'

'I have the money.'

The driver shrugged and turned the key in the ignition, revving the car into life. Esme turned to look out the small thin window to watched the Wizard as walked up the street, only to grow smaller as the taxi drew away. The moment the taxi swung into the next street and the Hunter vanished from sight, she breathed a sigh of relief. Fox shot her a scowl and raised a finger to her lips, reminding her she had to be quiet. A mute, Elenore had said. Her voice would give away not only her sex but her class. Still he didn't need to be so rude. Esme narrowed her eyes at him before deciding to watch the world outside the grimy window and ignore his presence.

The world slowly changed as the car trundled throughout the city. The narrow, cluttered buildings grew in size and space and become increasingly well cared for. The people changed from drab browns and greys to elegant and vibrant colours. Even the way they held themselves changed. But there was always something Esme spotted in the crows that scarily did not change. The Hunters. Every third street there was a Hunter, bearing the white of the Ivory Tower with their Grimoire flapping beneath their hands. So many were out, possibly the entirety. The Spirits really had turned Esme into a threat.

It was then, in all her hurry, she hadn't asked Fox if he had any news of Tranquil and Oak. She wanted to ask but kept her mouth shut. The driver was already aware of her strange behaviours. Making it more obvious she was indeed female wouldn't help her escape at all.

Soon the Blue Fountain appeared along with a huge stream of traffic. Surrounding the massive fountain, which depicted a dragon rearing into the sky and spewing water from its mouth, were four lanes of cars, all moving inch by inch and honking their horns angrily at the congestion.

Fox didn't wait long. Only three mintues into the jam, Fox leaned forward in his seat and pulled out the money.

'We'll get out here.' He said.

The driver looked back at him with his small eyes. 'Best to.' He slammed a small clockwork dial on his dashboard. The numbers there froze. 'Seven half crowns and nine quarters.'

Fox huffed a little in irritation but pulled out the pennies from his wallet willingly. 'An extra quarter is in there.'

The driver accepted it happily and placed them into the pouch around his protruding belly. He slammed the counter again and this time the numbers settled back to zero.

'Out you get then.'

Fox nudged Esme to get moving and she did eagerly. The last hour in the stinking hot car had made her stomach begin to quiver with sickness. The moment she had slipped out, trying not to knock the door onto the expensive car beside her, she pressed herself against the taxi nervously. While the traffic was slow, it was still moving with drivers jostling with each other, honking and swearing and she was in the middle of it all.

'This way!' Fox called from the other side of the taxi, waving madly and pointing at the shops opposite.

Esme nodded and hurriedly plodded over to him, trying to be quick and avoid being knocked over. Fox had a worse time at it, nearly having a hefty van nearly ram into his legs, forcing him to slam the bonnet angrily and stick his middle finger up. Esme flushed at the whole ordeal and remained quiet as Fox finally reached the wide and very safe and busy pavement.

'It's not far from here.' Fox said, rubbing his nose and hiking up his heavy bag.

Esme took a moment to breathe and gather her surroundings. She recognised the imposing white buildings surrounding her, how they acted like fencing for the numerous cars, before they broke into six different junctions around the Fountain. They stood tall, boasting all kinds of expensive high end shop, restaurants, offices and apartments. The Blue Fountain Square was always the most busiest place in the city with the worst traffic. Cassandra often walked down here with Esme on lunchtime trips or evening coffee.

But for the first time, she felt she didn't belong in the magnificent square. She gazed about, jealously eyeing a pastel dress in the shop window she'd love and felt comfortable in a familiar setting, then slowly noticed how the people seemed to evade her. They swerved some distance to pass her and either refused to notice her or gave her the most disgusted look. Before she melted in well with the rich, even if the Wizards didn't want her much. Now she wasn't wanted at all by anyone. She had no place. It made her throat close up a little.

She jumped a little when Fox grabbed her wrist roughly. 'Come on. Can't hang about.'

Of course they couldn't. Hunters, while didn't seem to be as numerous here, would still be roaming. She had to get back into hiding.

She rubbed her eye lightly and nodded as she waved at Absolon to follow and hoping he noticed. She couldn't quite see him anymore.

Esme followed Fox closely, trying not to get distracted by the shoes, dresses and coats she couldn't buy and ignore the smells of good expensive food and ground coffee. He took her down the lane then across the manic roads when the traffic lights wailed madly. In several tense minutes, he had dragged her up the northern road into the depths of South Side, taking her to a familiar area. The night-life of gentlemen's clubs, whore-houses and casinos.

Esme still didn't utter a word when he eventually paused outside a familiar large courtesan house, the Dusklight Gentlemen's Club. He eyed it once, gazing at the thick doors that were locked firmly shut, before pulling her down the side alley and stopping before an iron gate. Beyond Esme could spy a lavish garden filled with gazebos, small water features, immaculate gardens and many soft benches to sprawl on. Esme didn't want to even imagine what they were used for.

Here they waited a few seconds and Absolon reappeared to sleep rest on Esme's head and handed her her Grimoire. She didn't shoe him away, despite probably looking silly. The poor thing was too tired. She tried her best not to smile though as she was fully aware Fox was watching her curiously.

The click of a door and striking shoes were heard then Elenore was behind the gate and unlocking it.

'Everythin' go fine?' She asked instantly with all worry solely aimed at Fox.

'Yeah. Everythin' was burned or collected.

Elenore scowled at Esme. 'I can see.'

'Did the shop move go okay?'

'Everythin' has been removed from the Doe's and is now in the bunker here. The owner is the only one who knows and he owes Doe way too many favours to rat us out but you can stay there.' She pointed a painted nail at Esme. 'You though are stayin' in my room. The Doe can't know about you.'

Esme frowned. She disliked this whole thing. She wanted nothing more than to return to the heights of the Ivory Tower, gazing down at Lakeside's splendour, then staying in a thief's den or a whore's room. She had little choice though.

'Fine.' Esme responded coldly.

Elenore nodded. 'Then follow me. Don't step on the flowers or the lawn. The gardener works hard.'

Fox was quick to follow and entered into the elicit garden. Esme hesitated. She didn't want to go in. She wanted everything to back to how it was. She wanted her home back, her clothes, her business like friendship. She wanted her aunt back.

But Esme was fully aware how wishes and wants never came true. Her parents were still dead after all.

So Esme stepped forward, into the garden of the Dusklight, and gave herself up into hiding in a courtesan's room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, after losing my work twice to my blasted computer blue-screening on me, it is done. Now sleeps.