Vulpine Summer

Chapter One

The bookstore's bell tinkled lightly as Esme stepped out into the warm summer afternoon. She checked her books, excited about reading another historical adventure of the knights and dragons of old and curious about whether the new magazine would help her finally get her hair to curl like her aunt's. Her dark hair was thick and stubborn and so far nothing worked to change its flat texture. Esme kept trying though.

She looked up, shielding her eyes from the bright summer sun, when a massive shadow drifted over her. A cargo blimp was passing overhead, joining the other blimps and passenger zepplins dotted about the clear blue sky like flocks of fat birds. She recalled the days when zepplins brought pain to her and ignited an irrational hatred. Her parents could be alive if it weren't for one, but those feelings had long died.

Esme touched the back of her neck, frowning at the sweat trickling there. From the lack of clouds, the sun was free to blanket the world in heat. Everyone was wearing summer outfits and even Esme had placed a light pink sun hat on her head, covering her short black hair. Today was hot and she was in need of ice cream.

She set off down the cobbled road to seek out something to cool her down, keeping out of the way of the horses and cars that trundled by and passing many people who clearly had money behind them. The Garden District was richer than most of the old parts of Lakeside. Wayside and Oldtown were filled with buildings of disrepair, poverty or just abandoned from the blaze that ripped through it five years ago. But the Gardens were filled with old and historical architecture that was kept safe and clean with gardens, trees and flowers sprinkled about evenly. It was deemed a fashionable place to go for the rich and the shops here were extortionate. Women wondered about in their fashionable summer dress and outfits, dressed in high-heels, cloches and summer hats. The men wore light suits, puffed on pipes and hid their faces beneath bowler hats. Those with little money were obvious against the swarm of vibrant colours and beautiful clothes. Esme was one of the vibrant ones despite not really feeling it. Even though she wore the latest fashions, her hair was primly done and her soft shaded make-up expertly placed, Esme didn't feel like she fit in with the other men and women surrounding her. She didn't act right at all; gossiping and bragging endlessly of their businesses and money and name-dropping whenever possible. She found that trait of her class to be pointless and didn't dabble in it much at all. She just walked by, gazing now and then at the clothes shop she passed without stopping to greet anyone. She kept to herself as always.

Feeling the trickling about her neck worsening, Esme hurried onwards, pausing only once to cross the main road that guided the traffic of buses, taxis and carts pulled by thickly muscled horses north into the city. She tried to eye the vehicle, testing her knowledge of brands, while she stood amongst a waiting group of people. She noticed the oil-cars of the rich that left behind an awful stench, the steam-cars of the common that wafted smoke out behind them and the noisy slow clockwork-cars of the poor. She was always curious about cars and other contraptions like steam-trains, blimps and the new tram-lines. How they worked was a wonder to her, especially after being raised amongst the Wizards in the Ivory Tower. Magic made sense to her, even if she wasn't very good at it, while science and machinery were strange.

The moment the traffic warden came up to stop the flow of traffic, Esme crossed with a small flock of people and entered the west side of the Gardens. She knew exactly where she was going in the smug maze of alleys and roads filled with bustling people. The Ice Cream Parlour was her favourite place to go in the summer ever since she moved here.

Soon she found the white painted shop nestled beside a large men's tailors and a shoe shop. The familiar tree still stood outside, surrounded by a wrought-iron fence and benches, giving shade to today's shoppers and tourists. It made her grin in relief. She'd finally be able to cool down a little bit. If she knew it was going to be this hot she wouldn't have bothered to leave the Tower.

Esme dove inside and was welcomed instantly by the elderly woman behind the counter and a sweet refreshing scent. The woman was familiar with Esme and didn't need to be asked what ice cream she was after. As soon as Esme was armed with her mint and chocolate ice cream she was outside again. She settled on the bench beneath the massive oak and relaxed her body before she began to scoop from the little pot. It was sweet and cool, instantly relieving some of the heat she felt clinging to her.

As she ate happily, she didn't quite notice she wasn't alone any more. Not at first anyway. Shimmering beside here was a vague shape that distorted the bench, warping its wood and iron. A curious whistle came from the strange distortion.

'Good afternoon Absolon.' Esme said with a gentle smile.

The sprite tilted its head and suddenly he popped into existence. Sprites, the most common and youngest stage of any spirit, were funny creatures that often took on odd shapes and sizes. They never appeared the same. Absolon was a round thing with tiny feetless legs and a head that was covered in a long pointed hood. He was completely white and glowed constantly with his deep pale blue eyes blazing against his white features. He was a familiar sight and one of the true friends Esme had.

Absolon had been with Esme since she was small. She knew the Everwood was filled with sprites and spirits, a hive and breeding ground of the pesky creatures, and she'd seen a couple back in a home country, Emprise du Soliel, but she didn't think she'd befriend one. After two weeks went by after her arrival, Absolon turned up. He'd whistle at her, follow her and help her in away he could. It was the nature of Watchful types to guide, help and protect and he'd never stopped, even after fourteen years. She'd named him after her father and he seemed to recognise the name now, even if he chose to ignore her sometimes.

Absolon floated over to her, gazing at her intently and Esme was quick to realise what he was asking. She held out a small scoop of ice cream for him. He picked it up with an arm that extended out of his round body and pushed the scoop of ice scream into his white face. Instantly he sang and twirled happily. It wasn't long before he wanted more and she complied until suddenly she noticed others.

Standing no taller than a rabbit was another sprite. It was thin, almost droopy like, green in colour and covered in small brown mushrooms. A tiny blue and white speckled one popped up on the bench and seemed to wobble like water. A vibrant red companion with a large gold leaf covering its face was behind it. Often the sprites colour, texture and bodily growth showed what they were so Esme assumed they were wood, river and autumn sprites.

Esme scowled. Sprites were just as bad as the pigeons when it came to begging for food. No, sprites were worse as they didn't even need food.

'You're not allowed any. Absolon is my friend.' Esme said.

Each sprite tilted its head in curiosity and the river sprite tried to cheekily reach out and take the pot.

'No.' Esme said firmly as she stood and grabbed her bag haughtily. 'Come along Absolon.'

She strode away, her heels clicking as she went. While Absolon whistled and followed after her, fading in an out, the three sprites stared curiously before vanishing quickly. Esme glanced over her shoulder, pleased to see them gone, and carried on her way.

She gazed upwards at the massive tower that loomed over the city as she ate her ice cream. The Ivory Tower. She didn't know exactly how big it was but it reached far into the sky. At the bottom was a small village where the Wizards boarded and the primary, secondary and college schools stood, teaching future young Wizards. The university was on the lower floors, hidden in the thicker rim that held the Tower firmly in place. The Tower itself held the rooms for the Wizards of Lakeside, the research labs and, at the highest point where the birds wheeled in the sky, the Grand Wizard's apartment where Esme and her aunt lived.

Cassandra would probably be waiting for her now, tapping her shoe impatiently as she gazed over the whole of Lakeside. She always insisted that they had brunch every Sunday and she was running dangerously late. So Esme marched her way through the city, moving with the flowing crowd, pausing when she came across the highstreets filled with traffic and avoiding cars that trundled slowly down the narrow less traffic used roads, honking their horns wildly to disperse crowds.

As she made her way up the banks of the city that crawled upwards towards Ivory Hill, Esme paused suddenly. She was in the quieter, slightly poorer part of Lakeside now and only a few people strode by. What had grabbed her attention was a long shop with the words Wolf & Sons House Agency. Esme approached the window and looked over the printed papers stuck on the other side of the glass. There were several places to buy in the new apartment buildings on South Side, a few mansions along the Oak River and hundreds of random city houses, narrow and tall. Esme tilted her head with curiosity and ignored Absolon's whistling as he drifted about her head.

Six months ago Cassandra had suggested Esme find her own place. She was nineteen now, had a job working as Cassandra's secretary and more than enough money behind her to support herself. Cassandra was adamant Esme needed to leave to fully spread her adult wings, to grow and develop. Esme shot down the idea in an instant. The idea of never being beside Cassandra, of leaving her room in the Grand Wizard's apartment, of not spending her every day with her, was insanity to her. Cassandra had raised her since she was five, been there through everything, taught her how to dress herself, how to take care of her body and gave her the best life she could have after the loss of her parents. But, as the months ticked by, Esme began to dream of having her own place. She'd could have one of those tall narrow houses in the city centre, dress it up how she wanted and do her own shopping and cooking instead of leaving it for Ms Penelope, the apartment's housekeeper. The idea of meeting new people, of maybe finding a true friend instead of the polite colleagues she lunched with now and then, friends she could actually look to for support and loyalty, interested her. She was beginning to love the idea of living on her own while commuting to the Tower to work for Cassandra but she hadn't brought up it yet. She was trying to figure out how to back track without looking too silly.

Esme sighed lightly and moved away from the window, tucking the cardboard ice cream pot into the bin as she started the final leg of her journey. After twenty minutes she found the tram-car station shrouded by a small well-kept garden of flowers. The wooden and brick station was occupied by only a handful of passengers sitting amongst the chairs, reading papers or talking amongst themselves. Esme bought her ticket from the booth and sat in the loneliest chair she could find and stared up at the large hill. The tram wasn't old, only five years, and it had been a godsend as it cut down the time to climb Ivory Hill by half an hour and meant people didn't need to use the massive flight of steps anymore. The tram only had two stops; one at the bottom and one at the top.

Esme watched as she saw one of the four trams make its way down the hill, growing larger and larger. It was like a train's passenger carriage; long and made of sturdy steel and dusted in bronze and white paintwork. It was a beautiful creation.

It hissed to a stop, clicking into place before the doors were opened by the tram's ticker keepers, letting out a small crowd of people. Esme swept inside the moment she was gestured to approach, flashed her ticket and settled quickly into the soft moss green seats and pulled off her hat.

She gazed outside and only noticed the trio of sprites sitting on the windowsill outside when Absolon joined them. They were pastel blue and strangely looked like awisting steam clouds. Mist or wind sprites, Esme assumed. She just hoped they didn't bother her.

The ticket-keeper called for any stragglers before he closed the door, locked it into place and rang the small bronze bell. A moment later at the tram shuddered and began to crawl away from the station.

The journey to the top wasn't long. The tram clacked against the railway, shaking with every inch it took in its laborious climb. Esme never took her eyes from the window and intently watched the city grow smaller and smaller as she rose higher up the hillside. The higher she went, the more she could see.

Spread out beyond the city's borders was Lake Tranquil's glittering body, the roads and train-tracks that slipped into the great expansive Everwood forest and its mountains and the blimps rising and landing along the Airstrip. She could see the River Oak between the scattered trees pouring down the hillside, gushing along its deep banks as it rushed to join with Tranquil. She found the sight mesmerising. Pressing her head against the window, Esme stared at the growing sight of the great city, almost being lulled into a light sleep until the tram came to a screeching and juddering stop.

'Ivory Tower!' The ticket-keeper bellowed, alerting all passengers of their arrival.

'Absolon.' Esme called to the sprite as she snatched up her hat to perch on her head.

Absolon whistled sadly and waved to the sprites perched outside. They whistled back and swayed, waiting excitedly for the tram to head down again. He floated after her as she thanked the ticket-keeper and left.

She sighed heavily at the sudden heat swathing her, sucked in the air and marched out of the station. The base of the Tower met her eyes almost instantly. Its wide girth was surrounded by the University Ring before it narrowed and shot up into the sky. Now she was closer, she could see the windows glittering along its sides. Some were open to let in the air, some were closed with the curtains drawn, some had clothing dangling out to dry in the heat and now and then a Wizard could be spotted leaning out smoking a cigarette or cigar. She couldn't see the top though; her home. It was too far above her.

Esme hurried across the busy road, ignoring the honking horn of an annoyed oil-car, and made her way for the collection of buildings surrounding the bottom of the imposing Tower. Her approach scattered pigeons that cooed along pavements and roads but they gathered rapidly when she was far away. She made her way passed apartments, lone houses, the primary school swathed in the sounds of children playing, and a singular street of shops. All the houses were dressed in a variety of colourful flowers and the plots were broken up by gardens and parks neatly kept by the gardeners who currently trimmed the trees and cut the grass with those new strange clockwork mowers.

The Wizards here weren't as fashionably dressed as the rich but they had their own snobbish airs, a sense of superiority over the normal folk. She had often been on the receiving end of that pride growing up. While Esme owned a Grimoire and was raised amongst the Wizards, she really hadn't be very good at magic. The Wizards knew and, while most were polite, some looked down at her as some kind of failure. The fact she was given the best receptionist position by her aunt, despite having zero experiences and qualifications, didn't help things. Jealousy, entitlement and a sense of superiority weren't a good mix in people.

Esme walked on, only welcoming a couple of people now and then when she recognised them. Every other passer-by and cyclist minded their own business as always. A Wizard rarely had time to stop and chat.

Just as she reached the sweeping stone staircase leading up to the wide open doors of the University Ring, Esme froze. Climbing down the steps was a familiar man, Phillip. She'd been speaking to the Wizard often these last few months, going out to lunch, going for walks and even went dancing with him at the popular swing club in town. She'd developed a crush on him and thought maybe he was interested as well by how willing her was to spend time with her and how close he would dance. But Phillip was currently linked arms with a woman, a blond Wizard Esme knew for being decent with magic. The pair was smiling, walking closely beside one another and didn't even notice Esme standing frozen to the spot with Absolon floating about her head sadly. Her heart sunk at the obvious rejection. Once again, another nice man was swept away by a prettier, more competent Wizard. It made her curse her terrible ability with magic. Too many times did a guy end up rejecting her for a woman more capable and respectable and too many times was she only accepted by creeps too eager to be boosted up in the world by her connection to the Grand Wizard.

'I need to move away from here.' Esme grumbled bitterly under her breath and strode up the steps swiftly, eager to get away.

If she moved into Lakeside, she would be around normal folk who wouldn't judge her abysmal magical abilities and wouldn't be aware of her riches or relations. She might just be able to find love in a new crowd of people, unmarred by her current reputation as being the worst Wizard in the entirety of the Tower and overshadowed by her aunt Cassandra. She might be able to have a whimsical romance like she read about in her books.

Esme barreled onwards, trying to ignore the sharp bitter sting, and swept into the University's main hall, nodding only briefly in recognition to the receptionist who welcomed her.

In the immediate centre was the Tower's pillar. Its spine. A massive structure that ran upwards in the centre. Once it had been solid brick but now it was filled with twenty lifts, clockwork contraptions that pulled people up and brought them down amongst the many floors. Curving off from them were two sets of spiraling stairs that reached up to the open floor of bridges above. Encompassing the hall were several doors and corridors leading off to several different seminar rooms and study areas. The Library was obvious as its doors were constantly open, letting students and Wizards alike to come and go as they pleased.

Esme hurried Absolon along and smiled at the liftworker who waited by an open door, a frail old man whom Esme was very familiar with. Jameson worked the lift to the highest floors and was always friendly with her.

'Top floor, Ms Dupont?' He asked in his wizened voice.

Esme was just about to respond when her name was called. A haughty young woman made her way over. Esme instantly recognised the chestnut hair, sharp haircut and round face. Victoria, one of Esme's acquaintances. She refused to call the people she lunched and gossiped with friends, especially when they'd only turn up when it suited them. They never saw each other outside of their meetings or shopping trips and never really spoke of anything of real importance. Esme didn't really know the trio of women she lunched with that well at all and knew she couldn't rely on them when Esme needed a friend but they were enjoyable to sit with for short amounts of time.

Victoria flashed a smile. 'Sybal and Josephine want to lunch tomorrow down at the River Cafe. It'll be wonderful with the sun being so bright. Are you up to coming Esme?'

Esme nodded, her face instantly contorted into the smile she always put on around Victoria. A bright smile that never reached the eyes properly. 'I'll meet you there once I am done with work at lunch.'

'Excellent. See you then.' Victoria then turned and sauntered off.

As always, business like. Esme wished she had a friendship that didn't feel like a business meeting. She sighed, momentarily daydreaming a little of the close friendships she'd read about. The support, the honesty, the genuine like. She hated the charade she put on around her 'friends' and how she just went through the motions when with them. Nod and laugh on cue, agree with what they say and act insulted when they're insulted. There was nothing genuine there. It was better than nothing though and she'd experienced loneliness long enough to know it wasn't for her.

'Ms Dupont?' Jameson said softly beside her, yanking her out of her thoughts.

'Yes! Sorry Mr Jameson. I'll head up now.'

Jameson nodded, smiling gently, and gestured for her to enter the bird-cage lift. Esme stood at the back and waited patiently for Jameson to pulled the spider-webbed door closed. As soon as the door was secured, Jameson pulled the lever and the lift jostled into motion, rattling as it began to creak its way up the tower.

The ascend took several minutes and Jameson asked how her day had been and whether she was looking forward to work tomorrow.

'It'll be busy. I have several appointments to shift about and I need to accept the invitation to Grenwich's University's opening.' Esme said openly and pulled Absolon into her arms as he began to go fidgety and make a nuisance of himself. 'I'll see you at lunch though.'

Jameson bowed his head. 'I overheard, I'm afraid. I will look forward to it.'

Esme smiled. Jameson was closer to her than any of her friends. She enjoyed the chats in the bird-cage lift with him but it was unseemly for Esme to socialise with him properly. Someone of her class could not mix with his on a personal level.

As soon as the bell tinkled, signalling their approach to their floor, Jameson pulled the lever up and fiddled with his keys to unlock the door. Esme watched as he pulled the door open with some effort, wondering if she should help, and thanked him as she stepped onto the pristine wooden floors. She waved at him as he slipped away beneath the floor then turned to the long hall.

There was a set of stairs in the centre of the floor leading down to the Head Floor. There the Head Wizards of Research, Education, History, Science, Medicine, Finances, Politics, Religion and Spiritualism had their offices. Each Head made up the Council of the Tower, important people who ran each sector. Up here, the Grand Wizard's office stood alone the end of the hall lined by various flowers in china vases.

Esme strode up the familiar hall with Absolon floating after her, glancing at the paintings and grey blurred photos of the previous Grand Wizards. A variety of stern features stared at her accusingly, some men, some women, some young, some old; all were dressed in the traditional black pointed hat of the Grand Wizard's formal attire. Cassandra's face met her nearer the office door and Esme's workspace. She was placed alongside her mentor Mr Causer, a Wizard who refused to retire, not even on his death bed. Esme glanced at her aunt, flickering her eyes over the picture. Cassandra looked younger, her eyes less wrinkled, her style of make-up a little different and hair blond longer and piled up in a complicated fashion on her head. Cassandra always reminded Esme of her own mother. The two looked so much alike.

Moving on, Esme quickly checked over her deep oak desk that stood protectively before the office door. Everything was still in place, locked away in the various draws and wooden file-cabinets. The candle-stick phone was exactly how Esme left it, her pens left neatly in a pot and the her own personal flower plot was blooming happily. There were a few new notes though but she refused to look at them. She wasn't working right now.

The unlocked Cassandra's office and slipped inside, quickly glancing at the walls of books, Cassandra's immaculate desk and the deep red chairs cluttered about a fireplace, before she moved on to the door on the other side. She unlocked it to find the familiar spiral staircase leading to the apartments of her aunt. As soon as the door was locked behind her, Esme climbed them quickly, fully aware she was running late for her afternoon tea.

Esme opened the last door at the top of the stairs and stepped inside, breathing heavily. Her eyes gazed about the large open lounge, noting Ms Penelope had worked hard to make the expensive sofas tidy, the grand piano shine, the shelves of books dustless and the coffee table organised. This morning everything had been a mess. While Cassandra may be beautiful and fashionable, she wasn't the tidiest person. Coffee cups had been left, the sofa's cushions had been flung about and Cassandra's silk dressing gown left on the floor. Esme would've cleaned them up but Ms Penelope often got offended when she did.

Cassandra wasn't in the lounge though. Only Absolon's faded floating figure and Esme herself were present in the Grand Wizard's apartment.

'Cassandra?' Esme called.

She took off her shoes, tucking them beside the front door and hooking her hat on the coat-stand. She stepped further in and peered about for her missing aunt. The large glass doors that led to the large balcony were left wide open, letting the thin underside of the curtains to be sucked out and pushed in by the wind. The door leading to the kitchen was firmly closed, the place Ms Penelope deemed her own, as well as the dining room, study and bathroom door. The only other door open was Cassandra's bedroom.

Esme slipped inside, noting despairingly that Cassandra must be home by the mess in the room. New clothes were strewn on the double-posted bed, the large wardrobe was wide open and the make-up bottles, balms and lipsticks on the vanity dresser were disturbed. She frowned firmly at the mess before she quickly ducked into the conjoined room that had once been Cassandra's old walk-in closet until Esme arrived fourteen years ago. The sizeable space had been turned into Esme's bedroom. It was more than big enough to have a comfortable bed inside, a wardrobe, glass bookcase and desk. Unlike Cassandra's space, Esme's room was immaculate.

She unpacked her book bag, placing the two new novels on top of the nightstand. She was about to turn and leave when she noticed Absolon hugging a thick tome tightly. One she had left on her desk. Esme frowned.

'Absolon. Leave that be.' Esme asked firmly as she reached out to take it.

Absolon whistled sadly, pulling away a little, but gave the book up eventually. She knew he still felt she should carry it with her as per her training but she didn't need to. Esme sighed as she stared at the simple leather bound book. Her own Grimoire. Every Wizard had one and always kept it on their person, it was how they could do magic. It was a book specially made to hold spells a Wizard would make. Only Esme wasn't very good at making them. Out of five hundred page tome, only fifty of the pages had a net written on them and, out of that fifty, only four of those were active. She frowned and touched it, opening it to the first page. A series of circles, shapes and symbols stared up at her. It was net to capture a sprite, like Absolon, and bind it to the page. It shined lightly from the light sprite that slept inside.

She'd tried hard when she a child. As soon as Cassandra offered her a place to be taught amongst the other young Wizards at the Tower instead of being shipped off to a private or boarding school in Lakeside, Esme had been overjoyed until, over the years, it grew obvious that Esme had no talent for magic and spirit binding. So instead of growing up to be a Wizard, to aid the community to the best of her ability, Esme became Cassandra's receptionist. It was a very important role but one Esme felt was just handed to her out of pity. Even so, Esme worked hard. Her aunt was a powerful and important woman and it was Esme's job to make sure Cassandra's job was as easy as possible. Esme didn't need to be a wizard, even if she still dreamed about it now and then and still couldn't shake the need to have her Girmoire close.

'Esme!'

Esme flinched sharply and clutched onto her book when she was abruptly yanked out of her thoughts. Standing at the door to her bedroom was Cassandra herself. Her short paling blond hair was curled carefully, her mouth full and painted red and her blue eyes were made brighter from the mascara she wore. The loose vibrant dress wrapped around her curves was expensive looking as always. Cassandra never wore anything cheap.

'I've been wondering when you would get here.' Cassandra said brightly, smiling so wide her eyes wrinkled. 'How was your morning?' She asked as she moved away into her room.

'I bought a couple of books. Sybal, Josephine and Victoria invited me to lunch tomorrow as well.'

Cassandra nodded approvingly. 'Seems they're warming up to you. A shame they let their judgement of you be clouded by your poor magic skills for so long.'

Esme clutched the book a little tighter, trying not to think of what it could be like to be a powerful Wizard. 'What have you been doing?' She asked instead, eyeing the mess in Cassandra's bedroom with thinly veiled approval.

'Shopping! We have a race to go watch next Saturday and a summer ball in two weeks time. I wanted you to try a few different dresses so you can wow those men we mingle with. We'll be amongst the rich so you might actually find a guy there who's not so interested in your money. Possibly anyway. They won't care about your magic abilities anyway.' Cassandra laughed at Esme's doubtful face. 'Come. Here. This is for you, my dear.'

Tucking her book under her arm, Esme took the dress and gazed at it. It was moss green with patterning around the waist and loose from the shoulders down. It was a beautiful dress and she wasn't certain her flat frame would do it justice.

'Will it look okay?'

'It'll look divine.' Cassandra gushed. 'I have a red one as well. Red goes well with your pale skin and dark hair.' She reached out to squeeze Esme's cheek before taking the dress to hang it. 'You're a stunning lady, Esme. You suit anything.'

Esme wrinkled her nose. She didn't find her gangly features, her long face and sickly skin to be attractive.

'Come now Esme. You too Absolon. I can see you back there. We have afternoon tea awaiting us.'

'I didn't see Ms Penelope though.' Esme pointed as she pulled Absolon to her chest, soothing him. He was always nervous around Cassandra.

'That's because I made it.' Cassandra said proudly as she marched into the lounge.

'You did?' Esme said, arching her eyebrows in disbelief. It surprised her. Cassandra hated manual work.

'No need to act so surprised, my dear. I bought some cakes from a new shop in town. I thought you might like to try some.'

Esme tilted her head at the layout on the coffee table. Cassandra had brought out a coffee pot and tea pot, three cups, sugar and a variety of cakes, doughnuts and sugared baked goods. It wasn't often Cassandra did this. It made Esme suspicious.

'What's the occasion?'

Cassandra laughed lightly as she settled into the deep chair, reaching out to pour Esme's sugared tea. 'It's been a year since you started your job as my receptionist. I am pleased to announce you have passed. I will be keeping you on hence forth.'

Esme flushed as she accepted the tea and sipped lightly, feeling a little foolish. 'I didn't realise it was a trial.'

'Because I didn't tell you, my dear. To convince the Heads and my Adjutants you were the right choice, I did a trial. The feedback I have been receiving has been nothing but praise. For one with little experience behind you, you have kept a cool, calm head doing a stressful and demanding job.' She put aside a cup of milk and sugar for Absolon to sip from. He sang happily at the sweetness. 'They will accept you as my receptionist now.'

'Oh.' Was all Esme could say. She should have guessed Cassandra had to fight for handing her the receptionist job of the Grand Wizard and she felt embarrassed that she hadn't realised sooner. 'Thank you.'

Cassandra touched Esme's cheek, squeezing the skin between her pampered fingers before she reached for her pack of cigarettes. 'You're welcome. Now eat, dine, and then we shall try on those dresses for you. You shall look splendid in them, I'm sure.'

Esme hoped she did. She loved fashion but she was never certain whether fashion loved her.

As they ate, Esme listened partly to Cassandra' rambling as she smoked elegantly. She was never silent, her aunt, and talked about the weather, her patrols of the Everwood, her meetings with various important folks and any annoyances she'd encountered that day. Esme was quiet throughout Cassandra's one-sided conversation. Her mind kept thinking of the house she saw for sale in the House Agent's window. She kept thinking of having her own places, of being in a new circle of people whom she'd have a chance of truly befriending or finding romance. Her heart thudded. She wanted to bring it up but embarrassment was keeping her red lips shut. She'd be going back on her massive monologue of how she'd never leave Cassandra's side six months ago. But she desperately wanted to say something.

'I want to move out.' Esme burst out suddenly, disturbing Cassandra's chatter of the Everwood Spirit, an old Wood Spirit close to god-hood, and how he loved the chocolate she brought him.

Cassandra stared at Esme, surprised by the random yelling, and lowered her teacup slowly back onto it's saucer. She inhaled on her cigarette slowly as she stared as Esme with curious, laughing eyes.

'So you have been thinking of my proposal.'

Esme nodded stiffly, glowing at how rude and strange she'd just acted. 'I truly meant what I said, that I'd never want to leave you, but I've been thinking about how I might meet new people. People who won't know about my awful magic, money or relation to you. I might have real relationships.'

Cassandra beamed widely. 'Yes, that was one reason I wanted you to move you. The other is that you need space to spread your wings, to grow into a fully fledged adult. So.' She breathed out a plume of smoke away from Esme's space, never once taking her eyes from her. 'You like the idea now?'

Esme nodded with determination. 'But I'll visit you often outside of work and I still want to be your receptionist. I enjoy the work.'

Cassandra laughed. 'Of course! I'm not firing you and you need an income. Even your hidden mountain of money won't last forever.' She stood up sharply and hurried over to her handbag in her room. 'I swear I have a magazine here of houses for sale! We'll look instantly! We must get you a decent place at least, nothing too flashy but neither a dump. I know you don't want your money on display but I simply won't have you living in squalor.'

Esme smiled in relief. She'd been scared that Cassandra would be insulted by her sudden change of heart but she was excited instead.

'Found it!' Cassandra announced as she came back into the lounge, waving the magazine over her head and leaving tendrils of smoke behind her. 'Now, circle any that you're interested in and I'll organise visitations, alright?'

Esme bobbed her head eagerly. 'Can you teach me about bills? I need to learn how to manage things by myself.'

'Ms Penelope will help there. She organises my paperwork; too much of a bore to do.' Cassandra settled close to Esme, wafting strong scents of her perfume and tobacco. 'Now, which district would you like to live in?'

Esme grinned as she began to speak of the thoughts and vague plan she'd been thinking up quietly. The pair didn't move for the rest of the day and frittered the remaining hours away, sitting close as they laughed and debated about Esme's future home before moving onto trying out different outfits for the races the following week.

As the sun began to dip below the forested skyline, an oil-car was making its way up the swerving roads of Ivory Hill. A woman sat in the back, re-doing her make-up with well-versed precision despite her juddering seat. Her name was Suellen Denver; Grand Adjutant Wizard, apprentice and chosen successor to the Grand Wizard. She was younger than Cassandra, round faced and her bronze hair was artificially curled beneath the large white feathered hat. Her green eyes were bright from the mascara enveloping them and her full pink mouth was turned into a frown. She watched the Tower grow larger with a sharp gaze and fleetingly checked that her Grimoire remained secure in her bag with gloved hands before settling again and lit a cigarette.

Before the twilight would've even aged into night, before the stars were out blinking in the sky or the dusk birdsong had finished its chorus, Suellen was going to have blood on her hands and Esme Dupont was going to vanish without a trace.
♠ ♠ ♠
First proper part! Enjoy!