Vulpine Summer

Chapter Forty-Seven

Fox woke and instantly felt on edge. The colours of orange and yellow danced among the swamp’s sodden grass and fat, bulbous trees; all filled with Sprites. Each set of golden eyes were fixated on them and whispers passed around the Sprites. He remembered very quickly he was still within the Spirit Paths. He hadn’t like it but at least no one could find them here, not while the Plague Spirit closed off the doors. He didn’t like it but it was safest. He still burned the incense though.

Fox stirred from his small island of vaguely dry earth and reached out to stir Dupont. Due to the sun swinging up well above the horizon, he expected skin to meet him, warm and soft. Instead fur did.

Fox whirled and, beneath his palm, was a bundle of red fur. Dupont slept deeply with her ears twitching from the tiny midges bothering her. Fox turned to look up. The sun was well beyond dawn. It was definitely day. Then why was Dupont still in a vixen curse?

He shook her violently, panic swelling. ‘Oi, oi, Dupont. Wake up!’

Dupont’s tiny body twitched as she woke before she squirmed, wiggly away from his grasp. Snapping her jaws in irritation and growling made Fox worry more. Had the curse somehow complete itself? Was she now just a vixen? But he relaxed when Dupont paused. She glanced at the sky then back at her paws. She was realising too and her golden eyes widened in confusion.

‘It’s fine, Dupont. Nothin’ to worry about.’

The scowl he got in return from the tiny Fox said otherwise. She was frightened. But Fox didn’t know what to say or do other than scoop her up and plonk her in between his legs. She settled instantly, shivering slightly, and he pet her soft head. He hoped she’d feel some kind of security with him. He had no clue about what was happening to her or how to stop it but it had never occurred to him it would get worse. He suddenly felt this flash of pressure and protectiveness as he realised there was a time limit before Dupont became nothing but a mindless animal, and, worse, he had no idea how long that limit was. The idea of losing her, of her becoming a snarling animal that could run off and never return, made his gut curl.

‘We’ll fix it.’ Fox said as he buried his fingers in her fur.

She whimpered in fear then, very suddenly, grew. Her fur melted away and her body lengthened and stretched into something more human. Fox, who still wasn’t used to seeing her naked and grew very uncomfortable, closed his eyes and tried to pull himself away. Dupont however had arrested his neck with her arms and buried her face in his shoulder.

Fox was forced onto his back by the sudden weight and he grimaced as the wind was knocked out of him and something hard dug into his back. Instantly he was enveloped by the warm softness of Dupont and it made him feel very odd indeed. Excited, of course, but something fluttered in his chest. Something foreign.

He was about to try push Dupont’s large body away from him and untangled her legs from his but found he couldn’t. Dupont was shaking and tiny croaking sobs were leaving her mouth. He didn’t need to see her face to know she was crying. She’d been that terrified.

Not having the heart to remove her, Fox awkwardly patted her blond head and turned his head to the side so he couldn’t see anything. He found it much easier to comfort a small fox than a large naked woman; especially one who made him feel weird.

‘It’s fixing itself.’ Dupont bawled into his shoulder. ‘The sun does not break instantly anymore. I’m going to be nothing but a fox in mind before long, I’m sure!’

Fox ignored the tug at his gut and instinctively reached for her hair. ‘You won’t.’

‘The curse is growing. I should not be a fox at dawn and it’s happened twice now!’

‘But we’re goin’ to fix it, okay? The Granite Tower isn’t that far. If we’re quick, this friend of yours can fix you up, no problem.’

Dupont pulled away, revealing her red eyes, tear stained cheeks and scrunched up face. It wasn’t the most attraction expression he’d seen on her.

‘But what if it grows worse before then? What if I become a fox?’

‘I’ll find a box for you, it’s fine. Absolon won’t let you run of either.’

At the mention of his name, Absolon drifted down from the tree where he’d been twittering with the other Sprites and whistled sadly at Dupont’s miserable demeanour. He reached out his wiggly arm and touched her nose.

Instantly a smile broke out. Her face shone. It was a much better expression for Dupont to have.

‘Good. You’re smilin’ now.’ Fox commented dryly. ‘Now get off me. We need to get movin’.’

The comment seemed to sober Dupont and make her very aware of the compromising position the pair were in. Her face, already slightly pink from her cries, instantly turned a bright red and her eyes widened. Instantly she was pulling away, unintentionally pressing herself harder against him for a second and making him mind go a little blank. She scrabbled towards the pack where her clothes had fallen from her smaller, vulpine body. Fox turned away, keeping himself focused on the Sprites that were beginning to float into the air, singing and twittering like a flock of sparrows. It helped and the little spark inside him died rapidly.

Before long she was dressed in her plain clothes, looking more male than female. He sighed as the Sprites began to sway and sing, urging them to follow.

Dupont took the lead, as always. Fox hated roaming here. He felt much more at home out in the real swamp littered with sinkholes, mud and ponds. But as he watched Dupont move, he noticed as small sag to her slight shoulders and a worried rub of the arm. She was still thinking about the curse creeping up to claim her. He did too but he told himself it was fine. He wasn’t going to lose Dupont to it. He just wouldn’t.

*

An hour through the Spirit Paths and it spat them out far from Farmire. The bog had gone, replaced by hillocks, grassy meadows and open fields dotted with the white fluffy shapes of sheep. Trees were rare around here, dotting on a small hill here and there. The only real woodland was behind him now, barely a mile long. Absolon seemed to enjoy the openness and twirled around in the blue sky, sinking and floating aimlessly.

But Fox, after a moment of figuring exactly where they were, he realised two things. One, there was a hole for them to hide in nearby. A stable-master went by the name Bull and was the fencer in this area, the one Badger had urged for him to head towards. It was a relief for him. The other thing was that the farms led up to a large town. A town he’d been wanting to reach since Doe gave him the task of securing the Eye. Hornberg, exactly where Catriona promised they’d turn up.

It was a rather rich town, he recalled. Filled with mansions littering the countryside, high end stores filling the streets, cuisine and large animal stock tradesmen. Horses here were bred for racing and dressage, cows for the tender meat, sheep for the fluffiest wool. Every farm filling up the meadows here were rich and specialised, not like the mass-production for meat, eggs and dairy they’d seen along the way.

‘Bull is along here somewhere.’ Fox said, shielding his eyes from the sun. Despite it being hot still, the sweltering mugginess of the marshlands had passed. And the midges. Thank gods they were gone.

‘Is she someone we can trust?’ Dupont asked beside him.

Fox shrugged. ‘If she says the password, then yeah. If not, keep that mouth of yours shut. Not a word. Understand?’

Dupont scowled down at him; her normal expression. She was thinking about the curse a little less. ‘I know. Don’t speak to me like I am some kind of simpleton.’

Fox decided not to voice his opinion that, yes, she was indeed very simple. Naïve even. But he chose to move on instead.

This time Fox took the lead. They followed the road, pressing up against the bushes that acted as a fence-line whenever a car roared by. Sometimes it was a small thing, sometimes it was large, carrying horses or cows and left behind a strong scent animal and petrol. Before long, after passing two entrances into two separate farms, Fox found himself before a swinging sign with a horse on it.

‘This is it.’ Fox said as he peered down the driveway and into the courtyard. Worker were moving incredibly handsome horses about, all prancing elegantly. In the fields, some grazed, while in the huge stables they were brushed and their hooves checked and cleaned. ‘Warbler said Bull runs a stable for performing horses. Trains ‘em, takes care of ‘em, breeds ‘em.’

‘It does look like the right place. They’re the type of horses I’d see with my aunt at the races.’ Dupont commented.

Fox grunted and chose to dive in. He’d find out quickly enough if it was the wrong place.

As he moved up the road and into the courtyard of very carefully built stables painted red and white, a stable-hand noticed him and approached.

‘I am sorry but we do not accept visitors. This is private property.’ The stable-hand said a little snobbishly despite having a rougher accent than Catriona. Fox hated how his eyes roamed over Fox and Dupont with grim judgement and making it very obvious he didn’t like what he saw.

‘Here to see the boss. She’s a friend.’

‘I’m sorry, I can’t-‘

‘Just go to her and say Fox is here. Let her choose.’ Fox snapped peevishly. He hated how the stable-hand looked down his long beaky nose at him, how he sniffed and his eyes flashed then turned to stalk away haughtily. Fox instantly glanced at Dupont and realised how differently she spoke to him than when they first met. It was almost like she held some small level of respect for him. ‘Glad you’re less like a pompous arse now.’

Her eyes swivelled to him and her face became thunderous. ‘Excuse me?’

‘Yeah. You were just like that. All flashy and snobby, nose in the air with this ‘I’m better than thou’ air.’ He hesitated. ‘Still are, I guess. Maybe I’m just used to it from you.’ Fox mumbled to himself, tapping his teeth thoughtfully.

She pulled herself to her full height in insult and her unnatural eyes glowered. ‘I was never like that.’

‘Ha! Lair. You’re doin’ it now!’

Before Dupont could stammer an answer, he dug his elbow into her ribs and hissed at her to be quiet. Bull was coming towards them. Her name didn’t quite suit her. She was small, even smaller than Fox, with curly black hair pilled upon her head and her face all smiles. The expression wrinkled her sharp eyes and made her large buck-teeth far more noticeable.

‘Heyo, Fox. Badger told me you were coming here.’ She said warmly and pulled him into a hug. He was surprised by her strength. Her lithe arms were filled with muscles. She pulled him away sharply and looked up at Dupont. She held out her hand for Dupont to take. Dupont did so nervously.

‘Eh, weak as bairn you are, Vixen.’ She said meaningfully. She gave Fox a wink and he relaxed. She knew and was someone they could be open with. ‘Right. Let’s get you lot inside and bathed. We’ll have a chat about where to sent you off over some dinner.’

She waited for no response and headed back into the stables, bellowing at them to follow. Dupont needed some encouragement and, clinging to Absolon, trailed after Fox like his own shadow. They marched around massive stables, the stink of horse and their bellows following them. Bull took them along the paths and away from her stables until they reached a road wiggling up a gentle hill. At the top was a large house, very carefully cared for with an immaculate garden. The air was cleaner up here too.

‘Come in.’ Bull waved eagerly as she tossed her filthy boots aside and shoved the front door open. ‘No one should be here. Cleaner left a while ago.’

Fox slipped inside, closely followed by Dupont, and they stood in the narrow hallway. It was expensive, Fox noticed instantly. It was odd. Most high-ups with the Fingers had little money, even Doe and Warbler didn’t roll in it, but Bull clearly had a lot. The carving of the staircase, the beautiful paintings of historical events, the brass lights; it was the house of a woman of money. Apparently race and dressage horses were a lucrative business.

Instantly he noticed Dupont was at home however. She was gazing about in admiration, her face relaxed and demeanour no longer on alert.

‘This way.’ Bull called and moved into the neighbouring room.

Fox was about to follow but noticed Dupont wasn’t moving. She was gazing at a particular painting of grey stallion being ridden by some historical figure he had no idea about as Absolon poked it curiously.

‘Dupont.’

‘Fox, look. It’s a painting by Flavien!’

‘Who?’

‘A painter from my home country, Emprise Du Lion. My father had many works by him; his study filled with them. This particular one is of the very successful general during the 2100’s, Paol Yves.’

Fox stared at her, watching how her expression glowed and eyes danced over the painting. She seemed so…happy. Overjoyed. Like that painting had just taken her home. And that expression, how pink her cheeks were and how her lips parted into such a joyous smile.

‘No idea who he is.’

Instantly, the spell broke. The warmth shifted into something more tired, less bright, and she glared at him.

‘He’s revered back home.’

‘Not here he ain’t.’ Fox pointed out then pulled her and Absolon away from the painting.

Unwillingly, Dupont entered the lounge, a room just as elegant as the entryway. Fox nervously settled himself on the leather chairs, finding it strange how squishy and welcoming it was. Bull settled in an airmchair only once she’d shut all the large windows, peering out of them to make sure they were indeed alone.

‘Warbler told me everything.’ Bull said and her eyes settled on Dupont. ‘Vixen. You’re in need of some help, aren’t you?

‘Yes. I am trying to get to the Granite Tower. Is Lothgow still in charge?’

‘Aye, he is. But I have bad news.’

Fox and Dupont glanced at each other.

‘What is it?’ Fox pressed.

‘Suellen Denver is there currently.’

Dupont stiffened and hugged Absolon tightly. ‘How long?’

‘Don’t know. Had no interest until Warbler told me what Fox got us into.’ She glanced at him. ‘Heard you were trouble for Doe but I didn’t realise you were this bad, lad.’

Fox smiled proudly. He’d never met Bull but she’d already heard of him. He was impressed with himself.

‘I found out she was there a couple of days ago. Still trying to find out more information, like why the hell she’s there in the first place. She’s meant to be in the Ivory Tower, taking over that one. Granite isn’t meant to be in her jurisdiction.’

‘But I need to go there still. Lithgow, he’ll help me with this curse and revealing Denver as my aunt’s murderer.’

‘I agree. I’m not stopping you from going, just to make you aware. The Granite Tower could be dangerous for you, Vixen.’

‘I know.’ She murmured.

Bull hummed and reached beneath her chair to pull out a small lockbox. ‘I have letters for you, Fox. One from Warbler, Doe, a woman called Elenore and your cousin.’ She pulled them out from the box. ‘Read them in confidence. For now though, I’ll go get you food so you can rest.’ She stood to leave then hesitated. ‘Doe wants you to know that while you’re out on this stupid death-wish of yours, not to worry about delivering the Eye. Your contractor is waiting for you in Hornberg but could be trouble.’ She pulled a face. ‘White Wizards know we Fingers are in on this now. All operations are on hold until we know we’re safe to move again and this mess is sorted.’

She waited until Fox nodded before she marched out, leaving Fox, Dupont and Absolon alone.

‘Well that’s interestin’. Wonder what it’s goin’ to be like getting you close to the Tower. We’ll need a plan.’ Fox said but, he noticed very quickly, that Dupont wasn’t listening.

She was clutching at Absolon, staring at him intently. His blue eyes stared back as he whistled. Her expression twisted and hardened, something pained lingering there.

‘Dupont?’

Dupont bit her lip then, quite suddenly, her hand slipped into Absolon. He laughed merrily, scrunching up his eyes with laughter, as Dupont pulled out the Eye.

With nervous motions, she held out on the palm of her hand. It glittered expensively, shimmering the fading sun’s light on its many jewels.

Before Fox could say anything, she shoved it towards him. ‘Have it back.’

Fox stared as confusion thickened. ‘What?’ He stammered.

‘Take it back. I will not bind you by blackmail anymore.’

He didn’t understand. She hadn’t gotten what she wanted from him yet, he hadn’t delivered her to the Granite Tower and Lithgow. Yet she was handing back his Eye.

‘Why?’

‘I don’t want it.’

Dupont refused to look at him and her face burned a vibrant red. Before he could press her further, she stood up and swept out of the room, leaving him alone and cradling his prize.

He twirled the golf-ball sized artefact in his rough hands. Confusion swelled first. Why had she given it back? Why now? Why at all? He glanced at the door Dupont had rushed through and excitement began to settle. She just gave him the only reason he was with her. He didn’t have to do this anymore or risk being shot again! He could go deliver his Eye and go straight home to Elenore and his new title! He was free!

But then the excitement faded at the thought of leaving Dupont; defenceless Dupont who was slowly being swallowed up by a curse and hounded by Witches. Her crying face of pure terror that morning haunted him. Elenore’s words echoed; she wasn’t his issue. He tried to convince himself Elenore was right. Dupont wasn’t anything to do with him.

But he found he couldn’t. He couldn’t get up right now with the sole purpose of walking out the door, delivering the Eye and being on his merry way. He just couldn’t. Dupont needed him and, he hated to admit it, he didn’t dislike her and abandoning her in the middle of this horrific mess just made his gut clench with guilt and fear.

As he stared at his Eye that was finally back in his hand, Fox sighed sharply.

‘Damned woman.’ He mumbled and pocketed the Eye for safety, unhappy Dupont still had full control over him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wedding done and recovery mildly done. Woo! Back to work again.