Status: Haitus

What Do You Want From Me?

06

Delaney groaned at she caught the sight of the clock. She had to be at her ultrasound appointment in 35 minutes and she was running so late today. She was forgetting everything this morning and it was causing her to be late, which was stressing her out. She tossed her phone in her purse, grabbing the keys as she slipped on sandals, finally just deciding to say “fuck it” and hoped to god she had everything she needed before leaving the apartment. If anything else happened, she was going to be late for the appointment.

She opened the door to walk out, only to walk right into a body.

“Ugh.” She said, before looking up. “Jack?” She asked confused. “What are you doing here? You’re still on tour.”

“Technically yes, but we had a day off in order to get from one show to another. So I told Matt that you had an emergency and I needed to be here for the day. I flew after the show last night and went home to sleep. I didn’t think you’d appreciate me waking you after midnight.”

“I can’t talk now, I’m really late for an appointment.” Delaney said, pushing past Jack and heading out to her car on the street.

“Delaney, come on. I’m here. Tell me what’s going on.” He said as he followed her to her civic.

“Jack seriously. I’m already late.” She said, opening the door. “We can do this later, after my doctor’s appointment.”

“Oh no. I’m coming with you. I’m not letting you push this off after I flew back home to help you.” He opened the passenger door to the civic, getting in the car. Delaney groaned, but got in. She was already running late- incredibly late if she was being honest. She didn’t have time to argue with Jack about coming with her. She’d just have to deal with it. Besides, he was going to know sooner or later.

“Fine.” She said, getting in and starting the car before taking off towards her doctor’s office.

“We can talk after the doctor’s appointment. I’m already running late and cannot have this conversation in the time before the appointment, so can you at least do me the favor and wait until after the appointment?” She said, a bit agitated. This was not supposed to be how her morning was going.

This wasn’t supposed to be how her life was going, if she was honest with herself.

“Fine. But we’re definitely talking after and you’re going to explain what the hell is going on that caused you to cancel your visit and cry.” He said, leaving it at that as the silence fell over the car.

As soon as Delaney pulled into the doctor’s office, she got out, Jack following hot on her heels as she raced into the building.

Jack sat down at one of the seats as Delaney was at the check in window. She moved and sat down quietly next to Jack. He stared at her and then looked around, really understanding for the first time that they were in a doctor’s office. Delaney was upset, and they were at the doctor’s office. Jack was starting to let his mind wander into dark thoughts, of all of the horrible possibilities as to why Delaney could be here. His mind didn't get to wander too far into the abyss as Delaney’s name was called within a few minutes. She stood up, looking at Jack and nodding to give him the ok to come with her. He stood and followed her and the nurse, standing silently to the side as they checked her weight and height and brought them into another room. They continued to ask general questions as they took her temperature and blood pressure, giving no indication that anything seemed wrong. But Jack couldn’t stop his thoughts.

Was she sick? Was she dying? Is that why she didn’t want to tell him anything over the phone? Is that why she was so upset? Had she cancelled coming out on tour because she wasn’t well enough to be on the road? Delaney never went to the doctor, was never sick. She never even caught the cold or the flu, not even when it made it's rounds through their group.

The nurse left with a smile, informing them that the doctor would be with them in just a few minutes, asking Delaney to change into the gown before the doctor came in.

Delaney stood up and started to take off her pants and shirt in order to change into the gown top and bottom that the nurse had left for her. She had turned her back to Jack, hoping to avoid him seeing her stomach. While not obvious, Jack may be one of the few that would be able to catch on if he saw.

As soon as she had the gown on and had sat back down on the exam table, Jack couldn’t keep silent anymore.

“Are you sick Laney?” He asked, and her head shot up to look at him, eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

“What?”

“Are you sick? Like really sick? Is that why we’re here? Is that why you can’t come on tour? Is it cancer or something?” He rambled off quickly, unable to stop the words flooding from his mouth.

“No, no. It’s nothing like that.” She said quickly, but didn’t get the chance to elaborate anymore before Doctor Carter walked in.

“Hello Delaney. And who is this?” She asked, looking at Jack.

“This is my best friend Jack. He’s here for support.” She responded, glancing at Jack quickly with a small reassuring smile. It didn’t seem to help though, because he still looked concerned over her well being. She sighed, knowing that it was going to be any second before he found out what she was hiding.

“Oh that’s so lovely! Well it’s great to have you here Jack. Ok Delaney, if you could lay back for me, we’re gonna do the ultrasound to see what’s going on.” Jack’s eyebrows furrowed a bit, confused as to why Doctor Carter sounded so upbeat.

Delaney did as Doctor Carter asked, Jack looking on cautiously and curiously, trying to figure out what was happening.

“Ok. The gel might feel cold, just as a warning.” Doctor Carter said, before squirting some on Delaney’s stomach and moving the ultrasound wand around in the gel on Delaney’s stomach. Everyone looked at the monitor, waiting for Doctor Carter to say something.

“Here we go.” Doctor Carter said happily, holding the wand in one spot. She reached over and pointed at the screen. “That right there is your little baby Delaney.” She said as she pointed to an indistinguishable blob on the screen.

Jack’s eyes widened at Doctor Carter’s words, moving from the ultrasound monitor to Delaney, but she was too busy staring at the screen to notice Jack’s expression.

“Everything look ok?” Delaney asked quietly.

“So far so good. It looks like you’re right around 12-13 weeks. Does that sound about right to you?”

“Yea. That, uh, that sounds right.” Delaney mumbled, still staring at the screen.

“Alright. Well the measurements look good. When you’re about 5 months, we can talk whether or not you want to know what you're having. Until then, we’ll get you prenatal vitamins to take, and give you a diet fact sheet to help you navigate what foods you should avoid and which are typically better while you’re pregnant. Also, Delaney, you have to keep your stress and anxiety under control. Neither are good for the baby, so please, if you have any situations that could up your stress level significantly, please avoid it. I know you’ve been having less problems with panic attacks, but it's really critical to pay extra close attention while you’re pregnant ok?”

“I’ll do my best. Is that all for today?” She asked, sitting back up as Doctor Carter wiped up her stomach.

“Yep. Just schedule your next appointment at the front. By the time you redress, they will have the fact sheet and the prenatal vitamins ready for you. If you have any questions, you know how to reach me. Take care of yourself and I’ll see you next time.” She said before departing the room.

Delaney quickly redressed, not saying a word to the still stunned Jack. They stayed silent as Delaney made her new appointment and picked up the vitamins and the information sheet. They even kept quiet on the car ride back to Delaney’s apartment. It wasn’t until they got back inside the apartment, sitting on opposite ends of the couch, that Jack first spoke.

“This is why you can’t come visit right?” He asked, and all Delaney could do was nod, her arms wrapped around her legs that were pulled up to her chest. She wondered when she wouldn’t be able to sit like that anymore. How long would it be until she had to start accommodating the changes to her body? How long before she wouldn't be able to hide her growing stomach? How long before her feet started to swell?

“You’re pregnant.” Jack stated, and Delaney nodded with a sigh.

“Yea. About 3 months.”

“So it’s Alex’s?”

“Yep” She said with a smack of her lips.

“What are you going to do?” Jack asked. Delaney shrugged.

"I don't know. Keep it I suppose? I haven't really given any of it too much thought to be honest. I've been trying to avoid thinking about it. Not exactly the most desired situation. I didn't exactly plan to start growing some human in me. I also didn't plan to do any of this with Alex being the DNA donor. I'm not exactly sitting in a situation that I dreamed of or planned out. In fact, this is probably bordering along the lines of what I would describe as a nightmare."

"Well I'm sure Alex will help once you tell him," Jack said, only to be met with a very strong, silent, glare. He groaned, lifting his hands and rubbing his face. "Laney. You have to tell Alex."

"I don't have to do anything. And I sure as hell don't have to tell Alex anything when I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing. And you're not going to tell him either, or so help me god, best friend or not Jack Bassam Barakat, I will castrate you with a rusty safety pin." Delaney growled.

"Laney. Come on now. Alex has a right to know he's gonna be a dad."

"Alex can't even commit to me. On what planet do you think he's going to hop on board with committing to being a parent? And even if he did, what kind of an example will bringing a new chick home every day of the week be for a child? You're off your damn rocker if you think I'm telling that douche nozzle that I've been cursed with carrying his offspring."

"You know, you're a lot of vulgar as a pregnant woman." Jack said with a small smile on his face, amusement twinkling in his eyes.

"I've always been vulgar Jack. It's just typically not directed at you because you're usually not dumb enough to disagree with me." She said with a small chuckle and a roll of her eyes. "But seriously. Alex doesn't get to know. Not unless I decide he gets to know."

"I won't tell him, because you're my best friend. But I want it on the record that I think you're being dumb and irrational."

"Your concerns have been documented. Now i'm going to make some smoothies because I can't drink, so you don't get to either." Delaney said, getting up and heading to the kitchen.

"I'm not pregnant! Why can't I have any alcohol?"

"Because you feel empathy for your best friend and love me." She said, only to get a head shake in response.
♠ ♠ ♠
.