‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Peter

Logan led us to the large building by the basketball court. The first room was obviously an office waiting room. We went through another door that led to an office. Behind the desk was a trapdoor and he lifted it. A set of stone staircases led downstairs and he took a flashlight out of his pocket.

I went ahead of Delia but reached behind to hold her hand. It was dark and I didn’t have a light or my phone; it was in my duffle bag. The further down we went, the colder it got. Finally, the floor evened out and I saw Logan walk around the walls until he flipped a switch.

“Oh shit,” he gasped, backing into the wall and we all did the same.

In the center of the room was a large rune. It wasn’t a death rune like the one in the cabin, but it was drawn in the same white chalk.

A bed was pushed to the far wall and a desk against another. He had an open wardrobe and there were some moth eaten clothes still in it. There was some vampire memorabilia around that I was a little interested in. The interest disappeared, though, as Delia walked forward.

“I don’t think so,” I said, stopping her.

“Let her,” Tiberius said and I sighed, letting her hand go.

“He knew this was here,” she said slowly. She looked at Logan. “Did Peter ever go into Pierre’s room?”

“No,” he said. “I was the only one who knew it was here. Well, aside from the counselors but we were all supervised when we came down here.” He shook his head. “This wasn’t here the last time I was.”

Delia opened the folder and put the pictures of the runes on the floor. She sat down and crossed her legs.

“Strokes are the same,” she mumbled to herself. “Handwriting on the symbols is the same, too. This rune is used to provoke insanity…. Whoever drew it, wanted Pierre to lose himself.” She sighed in frustration. “But why would Peter want that?”

“Just don’t get too close,” Logan groaned when she leaned closer. “Please, Delia. It may be 16 years old but it could still work!”

“Okay,” she said and obeyed.

She huffed. No one spoke as she thought. I wasn’t comfortable with Delia being so close to that rune, either, and I was itching to snatch her away from it. Tiberius must have sensed it because he put a hand on my shoulder.

“I don’t mean to be controlling,” I said through clenched teeth, “but get away from that now, Delia.”

She frowned at me. “Why?”

“Please,” I groaned. “It’s making me too nervous.”

She sighed and stood up. She almost fell forward and I pushed Tiberius off of me. I grabbed her around the waist and pulled her back into me. I stumbled into the wall of the staircase. Instead of bumping into the wall, we went falling back through it. She cried out in surprise and I grunted as I landed on dirt.

“What in the world?” she breathed, scrambling off of me to help me to my feet.

We turned and she screamed. I backed her against the wall, shielding her as everyone ran in.

“Jeez, it took you long enough.”

In the middle of the room, a decomposing corpse sat in a chair. The chair was in the middle of yet another rune. The stench of his body was covered by bunches of lavender and honeysuckle around the room.

Logan and Annalise covered their mouths.

“I’ve been waiting for 16 years,” the corpse sighed, leaning back in the chair. “It’s so good to see you again, my alpha,” he taunted.

“How?” Logan breathed. “I-I saw your body burn.”

The corpse grinned, showing rotted teeth and I felt sick to my stomach. It didn’t stand even though I could tell it wanted to.

“Magic is a wonderful thing, Logan,” it hissed. “Poor Pierre didn’t know about my secret room. He knew about the rune, though. By then it was too late.”

“When did you draw it?” Annalise demanded and he glared at her.

“So you became a wolf,” he snarled. “Bitch.”

This is Peter, I thought with a small gasp.

Yes, son.

I glanced at Tiberius but his eyes were on the corpse.

“Pierre was stupid enough to put Freddy and I in here before we were transferred to your fucking manor,” he spat. “Then the idiot didn’t take my chalk from me.” He sighed heavily. “Of course, none of that matters now. Camp Celestial is finally closed for good and I have you in here. I’ve been waiting to kill you.”

“What happened to Freddy?” Annalise asked.

Peter’s dull eyes looked down. “I couldn’t save him.” He gripped his hands and some flesh flaked off. “This is all your fault, Logan!” he shouted. “Now that you’ve brought me the White Wolf, though, I can come back and kill you. I’ll be the next alpha and show people what true leadership really is!”

Behind me, Delia laughed harshly.

“Like I’m going to help you,” she snorted.

His lip curled. “You don’t have a choice,” he snapped. “Does she, Tiberius?”

We all looked at him. His eyes were sad and my fangs started to extend.

“You lied to us!” I yelled.

“No, I didn’t,” he said. He looked at Delia. “You have to make a choice, young Delia.”

“What kind of choice?” she demanded, gripping my arm as she came out from behind me.

Peter laughed. “God this is fun,” he said. “But I’m getting impatient. I’ve waited 26 years. I don’t want to wait any longer.”

“Shut the fuck up,” Logan snapped. “You drove Pierre crazy to drive the wedge between the vampires and the werewolves, didn’t you?”

Peter just grinned, more skin flaking off.

Delia was staring at him, frowning. Her eyes went to the rune. She walked forward and I groaned, knowing I couldn’t stop her. Peter watched her carefully, a smirk on his face. What was he hoping she’d do?

“Nicely drawn,” she said quietly.

“Thank you. It took a while but I got through the dirt just fine.”

Delia nodded. “Why did you use chalk?”

I frowned. They were talking as if they were having a conversation over tea.

“It’s all I had,” he said bitterly.

“That's a shame. Is that why it’s not working all the way?”

“Yes,” he snapped. “Are you going to help me or not?”

“What can Delia do?” Annalise demanded.

“Shut up you stupid human,” Peter snapped.

She opened her mouth to retort but Logan stopped her. His eyes were fixed on Delia who was walking around the rune.

“I’m impressed,” she said when she got back in front of him. He grinned smugly. “Not many people remember this old magic.”

“How do you know it?” he asked.

“I’ve always been interested,” she shrugged and knelt in front of it. “Let me guess, if I cross the chalk, I’ll die and you’ll live.”

“Only because you’re the White Wolf,” he grumbled, “or I would have called someone else here.”

“Why didn’t Pierre stay in the rune?” she asked, looking up from where she was kneeling.

“He knew it was too late,” he shrugged. “It was just a matter of time. He found me in here but couldn’t do anything. Instead, he had it sealed off. When he was executed, the seal broke. I’m so glad it was you who found me.”

Delia bit her lip and looked at me.

“Do you trust me?” she whispered to all of us.

“Yes,” I whispered back.

“Delia,” Annalise began, tears in her eyes. “You can’t-”

She transformed and looked at Peter. He looked a little startled.

“Wow. They are as terrifying as they say,” he breathed.

“What is she doing?” Annalise sobbed.

Peter smirked again. “She knows there’s no way around it. Fate has called her for this.”

A voice filled the room. It was Delia’s.

Here’s the thing about Fate, Peter. Her wolf snarled, spit dropping onto the chalk. She cannot control a White Wolf.

Peter frowned. As if I knew right away what to do, I took my jacket off and Delia’s wolf took it in her mouth.

“What are you doing?” Peter demanded, his voice a little panicked.

Oh, you don’t need to worry anymore. Well, not about me. My wolf, however, is rather upset with you. I have no control over her. You should know one thing, though.

“And what’s that?” he sneered.

You’re going to rot in hell.

Delia’s wolf dropped my jacket on where her saliva had dripped and she put a large paw on it. Peter realized too late what she was doing as she wiped the chalk away. When there was an opening large enough for her wolf to walk through, she advanced slowly on Peter. He let out a strangled scream as she pounced and I cringed. Using just her paws, she ripped his limps off his body.

“Delia?” Logan whispered, walking forward a little. “Are-Are you okay?”

Dad.

Her voice was pained and I ran into the rune, ignoring everyone. I knelt in front of her wolf and took her face in my hands. Her eyes were drooping.

“Come on,” I whispered, putting my head on hers. “Come on, let her go. You’ve done what you came to do. She needs you to let go. Logan, help me.”

“The rune,” he began.

“It can’t hurt you,” I said impatiently. “Come help me!”

He got down onto the ground beside me.

“Little cub,” he said in a soothing voice. “You did well. You need to rest. Bring Delia back. We will take care of her. You don’t need to worry about her anymore.” He pointed at all the limbs. “He can’t come back. Come on. Let her go.”

The wolf growled once then shut her eyes. Delia transformed back but crumpled to the ground, out cold.