‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Walk

Dinner that night was a strange affair. Mostly it was us eating while the Lebeaus watched. My dad spoke about the different agreements he was hoping they could reach enthusiastically. I don’t know why he was bothering to even try. It was clear the ambassador wasn’t listening.

Instead he was staring at me.

It was severely uncomfortable. When I pointed it out to my parents, my dad become angry and promised to have it dealt with in the best way he could. I found out, though, that there’s really only one way to keep him from leering at me but I had no idea how to do it.

I didn’t really nap this afternoon. I got on my laptop and did some poking around on the Internet. Lord knows it took forever but I found it and now I was conflicted. Should I tell my parents what I learned? I’m sure my mom would at least want to know.

So, once dinner was over, I asked her to come with me to my room. She sat at my desk while I paced nervously. I glanced at my door.

“No one’s there,” my mom said, frowning as I paced. “What’s wrong, Delia?”

I sighed and sat down heavily on the bed. I cleared my throat.

“I did some research,” I whispered. “He keeps staring and…. Do you think he has malicious intentions?”

She frowned a little. “I don’t know, Delia. Your father is trying to figure that out. What’s this research you did?”

I patted the bed and she sat beside me. I crossed my legs and tugged at my hair. Despite my best efforts, tears came to my eyes.

“Delia,” she said in concern, taking my hands. “Delia, what is it?”

“When a vamp looks like that at a woman,” I breathed, “it’s because he intends to use her. Usually as a whore. I-I don’t want that so I did more research. The only way I can avoid that and everyone still be on good terms is if I find a man and sleep with him.”

My mom stared at me for at least five minutes. Then she suddenly got up.

“Wait here,” she said, her voice firm, and I knew better than to argue with her.

She disappeared into the hall and I put my head in my hands, shaking. I was terrified. If Louis’ intentions were dark, the only thing I’d be able to do is stay in my room for the five days they’re here.

I jumped when two arms encircled me but I smelled my father. The door shut and he pulled me close, humming. I shut my eyes, taking deep breaths. His voice always made me feel better. It seemed to come from deep in his chest and lingered right where it needed to be.

“When your mom and I were at camp, a wolf lusted for her,” he whispered, still rocking me. My mom was walking around my room. “He tried to challenge her to a duel.” He shook his head. “As you know, she was a human at the time. If I had let her fight, she would have lost. I took her place. When I won, I won your mother. She became mine. If Orvil had won, she would have been his slave. She would have to do whatever he said; including sleeping with him.”

I turned my face to hide it in his shirt.

“I wish I could do that now,” he sighed. “But… it’s different with vampires. Where is this research?”

“My laptop,” I said, my voice muffled by his shirt. “It’s not locked.”

“Anna, look at it,” he said.

His voice was calm and I sniffled.

“Why are you believing me so easily?” I whispered.

“Because you are my daughter,” he answered. “I know you would never lie to me. And I’ve seen the way he looks at you.” I felt him shake his head. “It is the same look Orvil gave your mom.”

I heard my mom sigh.

“She’s right, Lo,” she said. “There’s nothing here about fighting for a mate, though.”

“So we’ll have to ask a vampire,” he muttered.

“What about Jamie or Kelly?” I asked.

“No, sweetie. They’re too young. This is old magic.” He fell into a thoughtful silence. “You’re going on that walk with André tomorrow. Ask him.”

I laughed a little. “Yeah, that’s a great idea. ‘Hey, André. I think your dad is trying to make me his whore. How do I fend him off?’”

He chuckled. “You’ll have to be discreet, yes, but that’s your specialty.”

“Is not,” I argued. “I’m as blunt as a hammer!”

“You’ll figure it out, little cub,” he said. “You have to.”

I shut my eyes again. “I’m scared,” I admitted quietly.

“And I’m sorry you are,” he sighed. “Your mom just got done protecting your room. No one is getting in without your permission.” He leaned back and made me look at him. “You’re going to be safe, Delia.”

“You promise?” I breathed.

He kissed the tip of my nose. “I promise.”

“As do I,” my mom said, stroking my hair.

“Would you like help sleeping?” my dad asked.

I just nodded and he held my hand while my mom curled up next to me in bed. I shut my eyes, listening to my dad’s humming and letting my mom’s arms keep me safe.

-

The next morning, I dressed in more casual clothing. I wore yoga pants, a blue t-shirt, and my black tennis shoes. André was waiting in front of the door, looking at his phone. His brown hair still hung loosely about him and I knew he never pulled it back. I knew a lot about him now after yesterday in the courtyard.

“Are you ready?” I asked and he smiled a little, avoiding my eyes.

“Yeah, I guess.”

I waved to my mom who nodded once at me. It was a breezy day and I inhaled deeply, expecting the usual springtime air. That’s not what I got. I got something… intoxicating. I stopped walking and looked around. The scent was enough to make me feel faint. My wolf stirred inside of me.

“What’s wrong?” André asked.

“Do you smell that?” I breathed.

He blinked. “No. I don’t smell anything.”

“Are you sure?”

“Well, what are you smelling?”

I thought about it. “It’s… I dunno… husky. And there’s some kind of cedar undertone.”

“Oh!” he said. “It’s my deodorant. Did I put too much on?”

“No,” I said quickly, this time being the one to hide my face. “No, no it’s okay.” I cleared my throat and started walking again. “Um…. Want to see where my grandma lives?”

“Sure,” he said, glancing at the house before walking down the drive with me.

The more we walked, the more accustomed to his scent I became. It wasn’t as overwhelming but it definitely still lingered. When I shut my eyes against the sun, I saw my wolf whine a little but she was curled up against something.

“So, this is where Grandma V lives,” I said, stopping outside of her house. “My mom grew up here.”

“Where’s your grandma?”

“On vacation,” I answered. “She’ll be back in time for my birthday the day after tomorrow.”

“Are you excited about it?”

I shrugged. “I suppose. How old are you?”

He chuckled, something that sounded very pleasant indeed.

“Does it matter?” he asked.

I thought for a minute.

“Why do you look different from your sister and your dad?”

He kicked at a loose rock.

“I have a different mum,” he said simply.

We got to a park and I sat down, patting the bench beside me. He put his hands in his pockets before sitting.

“Why did you lie to your dad yesterday?” I asked, looking at him.

He frowned. “What?”

“You lied to your dad. When he asked what you were doing when they were in meeting. You said you were resting….”

“Oh,” he mumbled. “It’s… complicated.”

I worded my next question carefully.

“Do all vamps marry into nobility?” I asked.

To my surprise, he scoffed. “It depends,” he said bitterly. “If you’re my father, then yes.”

I was shocked. It would seem he opened up easier when not around his father….

“Your mom was nobility?” I asked and he nodded. “So I bet she had lots of guys fighting for her.”

He smiled fondly at the ground. “Yeah. She was beautiful.”

“What made her decide your dad?”

“When vampires have several males wanting the same female, they have a battle of wits.”

I stared at him. “Of wits?”

“Well, yeah. What, wolves don’t do that?”

I shook my head. “We have a battle, yes, but it’s more physical. Like a duel.”

He nodded thoughtfully. “Do wolves…. How do wolves mate?”

My laugh was higher pitched than normal.

“Um… pretty much like humans just a little more…. We mark the back of our mate’s neck.”

“Do you have your mate?”

“No,” I sighed. “What about vamps?”

He tapped his neck. “We bite the neck.”

“Have you found your mate?”

He sighed. “We should probably head back to the manor.”

He stood up before I could argue and my shoulders fell. I hurried to catch up with him. I stood upwind, though, to keep myself from going insane on the way home.