‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Challenge

It had been Logan’s suggestion to kiss her. I had no clue what that could have achieved but, as I saw her run around with her parents, I felt my heart swell with fondness. What my father said was true: white wolves were very uncommon. To him, it made her a freak and even more of a novelty. To me, it made her more beautiful.

Then he pulled the stunt with the dog collar.

My father was a cruel bastard but I never thought he would stoop so low as to insult her like that. Though I didn’t know much about wolves, I knew you definitely didn’t do that. The minute Logan took my father to his study, Marie burst into tears, embarrassed and hurting for Delia.

I knocked on Logan’s door and walked in. The air was tense. My father was standing with his arms crossed on one side of the room and Logan on the other side. Annalise was standing between them, her face angry. I bit my lip as I shut the door, aware what happened.

“You knew better,” Logan said through clenched teeth.

“It’s not my fault your daughter has been rude to me,” my father said.

“How has she been rude?” he demanded.

“She won’t even look at me,” he said. “Where did you teach her manners?”

“Perhaps if you did not leer at her like a vulture, she would be more comfortable!” Logan shouted and I sighed quietly.

My father didn’t respond right away. I took the opportunity to observe them closer. Logan’s nails were digging into his arms, drawing blood. His lips were curled back in a snarl. My father’s fangs had extended to his chin and his eyes changed red, a sure sign of anger and about to lose his temper.

“Your daughter has been seducing me since I arrived,” he lied and I shoved my hands in my pockets to stop myself from hitting him.

Logan snarled so Annalise spoke.

“She has not,” she said firmly. “Do not lie to us, Ambassador Lebeau, or we will bring Tiberius into this.”

I stared at them with wide eyes. For once, my father looked afraid.

“How do you know about Tiberius?” I asked before I could stop myself.

“Silence your mouth, you gutter snipe!” my father shouted and backhanded me.

I sighed, frustrated, but didn’t react. Logan ran a hand through his hair then pointed at my father.

“I can’t make you respect your children, but I can make sure no violence happens in my home,” he snapped. “Do not strike anyone in my home, family or not.”

My father glared at him.

“I have been doing research,” Annalise said, turning her gaze to me. “Most importantly, I know that Ambassador Lebeau has not been honest with us.”

An awkward silence fell and I tugged on my collar. This wasn’t how things were supposed to go. The Wolfes weren’t supposed to be such a sharp group of people. A confrontation was the last thing on my father’s expectations.

“So what do you propose we do?” Logan asked Annalise.

Her eyes went to my father. She stood up straight.

“You will be honest in the meetings. If you are not, I will call Tiberius myself and have you confined to your room.”

My father looked furious. “You wolves are-”

“This has nothing to do with race!” Logan shouted and suddenly he was a wolf.

I backed into the door in fear. Jesus he was huge.

“Logan,” Annalise said sharply. “Put him away. … Do it now or we’ll all be in trouble. … This solves nothing! Now do as I say!”

I had been warned of a woman’s anger and it would seem Logan had, too, for he turned back into a human. My father, for his part, looked ready to fight, too.

Then I remembered my conversation with Delia and cleared my throat. Everyone looked at me.

“Um, I think I might have a suggestion,” I mumbled, uncomfortable with all the eyes on me.

“What kind?” Logan demanded.

“When we have disputes among vampires, we have-”

“Shut up!” my father screeched. “You’re useless! They are not vampires! It will not make a difference!”

“Let him finish speaking,” Annalise snapped and my father fell silent.

I was astounded at the power this woman now had over both man. After my father’s words, though, I had lost the courage to speak and fell silent.

“Finish,” Annalise said and I stared at the floor.

“Vampires have a battle of wits,” I said finally. “A debate, if you will. I understand that wolves have a physical battle. P-Perhaps that is how my father and Mr. Wolfe can reach a truce.”

Logan was staring at me before laughing, throwing his head back.

“You’re definitely cleverer than your father,” he said and I sighed. I’m going to pay for that later. “What do you say, Ambassador? Shall we have a battle of wits and strength?”

We all looked at my father.

“It would seem my son has finally said something smart,” he said coolly. “What are the stakes, Logan Wolfe?”

“There are no stakes,” he snapped. “We will reach a truce.”

My father began to smirk. “No, I think there should be at least one thing.”

“What kind of thing?” he demanded.

“Your daughter.”

Not even Annalise could stop him. Logan launched himself across the room, pinning my father to the wall. I pulled Annalise back, knowing that, should my father choose to fight back, it was going to get ugly in this small office.

“You will leave my daughter out of this!” he shouted in my father’s face. “The fact you are the ambassador is the only reason I’m not ripping your fucking head off!”

It was then I realized Logan was stronger than my father. He was trying to get Logan off of him but he wouldn’t budge. The look on his face was terrifying and Annalise looked scared.

“Logan,” she began.

“Silence, Annalise,” he snapped, not looking from my father. Immediately, Annalise’s mouth shut. “Do you understand me, Louis? My daughter has nothing to do with this.”

“I will not battle you without it,” he snarled. “If it will make any difference, we’ll throw my son in with her. Should I win, I get your daughter. Should you win, you get my useless son.”

“No,” Logan hissed, now putting pressure on my father’s throat. “We do not bargain with people’s lives, Louis! I am giving you two options: this contest of wits and strength, or Tiberius!”

Fear flickered in my father’s eyes.

“When is this damn contest?” he spat.

Logan opened the door and grabbed my father by the collar of his shirt.

“Tomorrow,” he answered. “I want my daughter to have a pleasant birthday.”

He shoved my father out of the office then slammed the door shut. He turned to me and I backed away from him, afraid. Then he looked at his wife, cringing. I followed his gaze and took a step from her, too.

She looked absolutely livid and quite terrifying.

“Sorry,” he muttered. “Er…. Speak openly,” he said and she slapped him.

“We talked about that, Logan,” she said. “And you,” she added, pointing at me. “Sit in this chair and tell us everything about your battle of wits!”

“Yes, Mrs. Wolfe,” I breathed.

“Annalise, go get- I mean, please bring Delia in here,” Logan sighed. “We may as well let her know what’s going on.”

“We don’t have to,” Annalise said.

“Louis-”

“To hell with Louis. My mom is here. We’ll send the two of them into her room and they can visit. My mom hasn’t seen Delia in many years.”

Logan nodded. “If that’s what you think we should do, then I agree. If you are willing, please do so.”

She nodded, too, and left. Logan groaned and put his head in his hands.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled and he looked at me.

“For what?”

“I shouldn’t have spoken.”

Logan snorted, leaning back in his chair. “If anything you kept me from murdering your father.” He shook his head. “I don’t know why he has his disgusting mind set on Delia, but I won’t let him anywhere near her.”

I bit my lip and stared at the floor, thinking carefully.

“What is it you know, André?” Logan asked and I glanced at him. His face was neutral but I could sense his emotions fighting with themselves. “You and your sister have been silent but I know you know why your father is like this.”

“I can’t tell you,” I whispered. “If I do, he’ll kill me or worse.”

“Worse?” Logan repeated.

I nodded. “If I betray him, Mr. Wolfe, then he has three days to punish me,” I explained. “He has already told me my punishment: death or… or he will sell me.”

Logan just looked more confused. “Sell you how?”

“There is a market for vampires. They’re sold into slavery to humans. The humans then preform experiments on them until they’re nothing but empty bodies just drifting in the world. I’d rather die and he knows that.”

“I can keep you safe,” he whispered. “Just like I’m keeping my daughter safe.”

I frowned. “How did you figure out so quickly that my father is…?”

“It was Delia who did,” he sighed. “But that’s not what’s important right now. The first thing we need to discuss is this contest.”