‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Not So Happy Birthday

I was laughing with Grandma V when my mom knocked on my door.

“Come on in,” I said with a smile but it slowly faded.

“Ah, Annalise,” Grandma V said. “You can come hear about Delia’s first kiss.”

“Kiss?” my mom repeated, her voice distracted. “Not important right now.” She shut the door and I stood up. “We have some things to discuss.”

I arched a brow. “You just heard I’ve been kissed and you’re not freaking out.”

She smiled a little at me. “I’ll freak out later, Delia. But right now you need to come with me to your dad’s office.”

“What’s wrong?” my grandma asked. “It’s been a while and I was hoping we could talk some more before the birthday dinner.”

“I’m sorry,” my mom said. “It’s- I don’t think it’ll take long. But stay in here, Mom. Don’t-Don’t walk around the manor. If a man comes to the door, don’t let him in.”

My grandma narrowed her eyes. “Am I in danger of this man?”

My mom sighed, taking my arm. “Yes, Mom. Just wait until we get back.”

Before I could say anything, I was being led down the hall.

“Mom, what happened?” I asked. “You’re scaring me a little here.”

She sighed again. “Hold on.”

We got to the office and she let me in first. I was surprised to see André standing beside my father, pointing at a piece of paper. My mom cleared her throat and the two men looked up.

“What happened?” I repeated and my dad passed a hand over his face.

“Sit down, baby,” he said and I obeyed. “Ambassador Lebeau and I… got into an argument of sorts. We have been struggling finding a common ground and after the dog collar….” He broke the pen and my mom sighed, taking it from him. “André has suggested something that I think will be the very thing to do to get everyone… happy again.”

“What is it?” I asked.

My dad nodded at André. He shifted on his feet.

“A contest,” he said in a quiet voice. “Remember how I spoke of the battle of wits?” he asked and I nodded. “There will be a battle of wits and one of strength.”

“What are the stakes?”

“There are none!” my dad snapped and I flinched at his raised voice. He scratched his head vigorously, swearing under his breath. He took a few deep breaths. “There aren’t any stakes. It is merely to put our differences aside.”

“What about injured pride?” I asked and he laughed.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart,” he said. “Ambassador Lebeau knows what will happen if he either cheats or doesn’t let everything die in the contest.”

“I don’t understand,” I said.

“You don’t need to right now,” he answered. “I need two things from you.”

“Okay,” I said, sitting up straight.

“The first you’re going to hate,” he said and I narrowed my eyes. “When this contest is happening, you’re going to be in your bedroom.”

“What!?”

“It’s the only safe place in this house.”

I glared. “Can’t you make it a rule that he can’t touch me!?”

“I’m not going to risk it, Delia,” he snapped. “Don’t argue with me. I’ll force you in your room if I have to.”

“Fine,” I spat. “What’s this second thing you need?”

This time, he smiled. “I need you to pick what you want for your birthday dinner.”

-

I sat on the back porch, staring out at the backyard. The cooks were working on my birthday dinner and being in the house was making me starving. Besides, everyone was tense inside. It was suffocating.

The door opened behind me and I shut my eyes as husky cedar swirled around me.

“Okay,” I said before he could ask.

I sensed him pause but he sat beside me.

“My father will not be joining us tonight,” he said.

“There’s a shocker,” I said sarcastically.

“What do you mean?”

“He’s pissed off with my dad, André. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to see him until this contest happens.”

“You’re probably right,” he sighed. “Look, I’m really sorry for what he pulled today.”

“Thanks,” I said.

We were quiet for a while when I remembered the kiss in the hallway. I looked at him but his gaze was on the ground. His hair was behind his ear so I could see the troubled look on his face. I didn’t like that look. Not on him.

I gathered what courage I had and moved closer. The action made him look up and I pressed my lips to his gently.

He froze. I broke from the kiss then looked away, blushing. Neither of us spoke and I was about to leave before he took my chin and turned my face to his. Our eyes met briefly before I closed mine when he kissed me.

I leaned into his kiss, running my hand up his arm and to his shoulder. Just like the rest of him, his kiss was soft and hesitant. He put his hand in my hair and I tried to deepen the kiss but he stopped before I could.

Then he was gone. I blinked a few times as the door closed behind him. Slowly, I put my chin on my knees, staring out at the yard again. My wolf was whimpering, her heart hurting. I shook my head and transformed.

I walked through the trees, occasionally stopping to inspect a tree. It was getting dark out but I didn’t head back to the house. Even though it was supposed to be a happy night, I felt like a dark cloud hung over our manor.

I reached the stream we drank from today and flopped down, lying down beside it with my head on the grass. I watched as a few tiny fish swam among the rocks. A couple jumped out of the water. Part of me wanted to catch them but I didn’t want to fill up before dinner. The sound of the trickling water was comforting but my heart still felt like someone was squeezing it. I didn’t understand. Why did he leave? Why wouldn’t he stay? Didn’t he see? Didn’t he see how I felt?

I whimpered.

Four heavy footsteps announced my mom. She lied down beside me and rested her head on my neck, licking my muzzle a couple times. I nuzzled into her neck. At the same time, we transformed into humans.

“Don’t take it personally, sweetheart,” she whispered, moving so the tops of our heads were touching.

“How can I not?” I whispered back and started to cry. “Surely by now he’s figured it out.”

“He probably has and he’s scared.”

“What did I do, Mom? Is it because of my wolf? Did he see me running and get embarrassed of me?” I groaned. “No. It’s my shirt, isn’t it? I knew I should’ve worn the-”

My mom giggled. “No, baby, it isn’t your shirt or your wolf. André… he has a very cruel father.”

“I know it.”

“But I know now that he’s been like that probably all of André’s life. Take a minute and think: Imagine you’re told since birth that you’re useless and a waste of space. Imagine being threatened with death every day if you do something to upset your dad or I. Then imagine being flown from here all the way to London to try and be part of a peace treaty. You know your dad’s up to no good but you can’t do anything or he’d kill you.” She sighed, stroking my hair. “Then you meet a handsome young man. He treats you as you should be treated. He’s kind, loving, and you start to suspect he is your mate. But I’m lusting for him. You want to be with him but, if you do, I would kill both of you.” She kissed the top of my head. “What would you do?”

I sighed through my nose. “Panic,” I admitted. “And keep my distance until we went home, I guess…. But I don’t want him to keep his distance. I-I want him, Mom. And so does she.”

She laughed again. “I’m happy to hear that. But it takes two.”

“So he doesn’t want me.”

I covered my face.

“I never said that,” she said quickly. “I think he does but he’s being held back by everything. Just be patient, sweetheart. Be patient with him. Maybe, as your dad and the ambassador have their contest, you and André can spend some time together.”

I sniffled. “If he even wants to now.”

“Good Lord, how many times do I have to call for you?”

My dad appeared on the other side of the stream and frowned at the two of us.

“We were talking,” my mom said, helping me to my feet. “Do you feel better?”

“No,” I admitted. “But I think I will once it all settles.”

She smiled gently and hugged me.

“Your dinner’s ready,” my dad said, still looking confused. “What’s up?”

“The sky,” I joked, leaning into my mom as we walked back to the house.

“Haha very funny,” he said dryly.