Status: Work in Progress

Enemies of Comfort

What Is Your Name?

Where is his house?

“Savannah?”

“Ah, Adrian. I was looking for you.”

“You couldn’t sense me walking up behind you? You need to work on your range.”

“I know I know. I’ll work on it later.”

He smiled as we walked into his house. “So what do you need?”

“Well I was hoping to stay here.”

“Are you finally finished with that imbecile?”

“I am.” I hope.

“Then I shall allow you to stay with me.”

Adrian smiled brightly, opening his arms.

I embraced him with all of my might.

Never did I think I would see the day where he would see me as his little sister again.

“Adrian, I’ve missed you so.”

“I’ve missed you too little pup.”

We sat on his couch, facing each other happily. “How’s father?”

“Father is as crazy as ever.”

“And mother?”

“Mother, I fear she’s very upset with you.”

My head drooped slightly, had I been in my wolf form, my ears would have as well. “I can only imagine.”

“What you did was terribly stupid.”

“I know.”

“No, I don’t think you do Savannah. You almost released our secret to the entire city. But, I think what she’s most disappointed in, is how you acted.”

“What do you mean how I acted?”

My defenses went up.

“You ran, you didn’t even give us the chance to help you.” He looked me directly in the eyes. “That mongrel changed you Van, that’s what hurt her the most.”

“He did not change me.”

“He did. You used to be such a sweet young girl, now look at you.” I glanced down at myself, realizing his meaning.

“Just because I look different, doesn’t mean I’m different.”

Ever so slightly he shook his head. “You were never so defiant before. The Savannah I saw earlier, who gave pity to an angel, that’s the little sister I know.

Not the one who fights every chance she gets.”

My pride deflated, leaving me open for anything.

“You really think I would have given pity to an angel before?”

With a smile and a pat on the head he nodded. “Of course, why else would you do it now?”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“Good, I’m glad we can at least agree on that.” He stood abruptly, walking to the other room. “Come Savannah!”

Quickly I followed, eager to see what was going on.

“Here, I have brought your things from home.”

My eyes drank in the room.

The ungodly girly room.

Flowers grew from the corners of every wall, bright pinks and yellows.

“Adrian, what, what is with this room?”

“It is for you! Do you love it?”

Glancing at him then back to the room I shook my head. “I can’t say that I do. This has never been my taste. I am unbelievably grateful, but perhaps I could, redecorate?”

Adrian made a face. “I suppose, in time. Now change, you’ve got blood all over your shirt.”

“It-”

“Now Savannah.”

With a sigh I closed the bedroom door.

There’s blood on my shirt he says.

Change he says.

It’s like being back at home.

Wait.

What the hell is this!?

My eyes widened in shock as I rummaged through the closet.

Dresses.

EVERYWHERE.

“Adrian! What the hell is this!?”

He opened the door in a panic, ready to pounce. “What? What is it?”

“Dresses? Seriously??”

“That’s what you’re screaming about!? I thought something happened to you. Jesus Vannah.” He swiped his hand through his hair, letting out a sigh. “Yes, dresses. These are your clothes from home. Just put one on.”

With a grimace I picked one out, fumbling to put it on.

Oh how uncomfortable this is.

“Adrian, how am I supposed to fight in a dress?”

I walked out into the living room, patting down the front of the poofy skirt.

“Oh Van, you look beautiful.” He’s getting some sort of sick satisfaction from this. “And you’re not supposed to fight. So, get used to it.”

“Dude, we have a ton of money, just let me go buy some new clothes.”

“Ah ah ah. Scratch that. I have a bunch of money, you have none.”

“You serious?” He nodded. “Well fuck. . . . . . Whatever. I’m going to the library.”

“You just left the library.”

“Well I want to go back.”

Adrian flicked his wrist, allowing me to leave. “Use this time to at least sharpen your senses.”

“Yeah yeah, I’m on it.”

As defiant as I made myself sound, I couldn’t help but to take his advice.

My senses had all but dwindled into nothing.

I couldn’t even feel the presence of my own brother.

Three o’clock, witch.

Glancing over I could see the woman hunched over, eyeing me carefully.

Eleven o’clock, werecat.

My hair raised as I met the gaze of the lion.

So many creatures in this town.

So many I had neglected to sense.

I continued my walk, checking the life around me.

Abruptly I came to a halt, running into somebody’s broad chest.

How?

“I’m so sorry!”

“Little wolf, is that you?” My heart raced with fear. “If not for your aura I would not have recognized you.”

His smile made my mind blank.

“You look lovely pup, do not worry so much.”

“I, uh, thank you.”

My senses perked as another creature flew into the mix.

“Come little pup.” His large hand encircled mine, gently pulling me with him. “Your little bird has been following me since we last spoke. I fear he may be up to no good.”

Oh no!

What do I do!?

What do I say!?

I can’t tell him that I asked the angel to do so!

But I also can’t allow him to hurt Jareth because of my own curiosity.

“Are you sure?”

He squeezed my hand lightly, sending a jolt through my body. “I am.”

The wolf picked up pace, leaving us jogging through the alleyways.

Glancing back I met the confused and shocked gaze of Jareth.

Please go, he wishes to harm you.

I watched with a slight smile as Jareth nodded, able to read my silent plea.

“He’s gone.”

We ceased our jog, looking around.

My eyes roamed his face, taking in every handsome detail, the color of his beautiful eyes.

“What is your name?”

Suddenly, those beautiful eyes were looking into my own.

“Why do you wish to know my name?”

Cocking my head to the side I frowned. “I feel it is only appropriate.” He continued to stare, not blinking. “Listen, if we continue to meet like this it is only customary for me to know your name.”

“I suppose you have a point little wolf.” With a slight bow, he brought my hand to his lips, his eyes locked with my own. “My name is Caiden.”

At this, my cheeks flushed.

Standing, he continued to hold my hand, seemingly examining it. “You’re so tiny little pup. How old are you?”

“In my defense, anyone would be tiny in comparison to you.” I laughed, looking at our hands. “I’m twenty five. How old are you?”

“My age is of no concern to you.”

“Oh, but I believe it is. It will even us out.”

He smirked down at me slightly. “You are persistent. So be it. I am twenty nine.”

“You are the same age as my brother.”

“Does that bother you?”

“NO!” Clearing my throat I repeated myself. “No, it does not bother me.”

He chuckled, slightly shaking his head.

My breathing hitched as he caressed my cheek.

“Stay safe little pup. It would be unfortunate if you were to be hurt.” All I could do was nod. “Until we meet again.”

“Until then.”

My eyes followed his every move as he walked off, leaving me by myself.

What is this feeling he gives me?

“Jareth, what have you found out about him?”

Eyes turning in his direction I bid my heart to regulate.

“He’s, one of you.”

My palm made contact with my face. “We’ve established this already angel. Have you learned nothing else?”

“I’m afraid not.”

With a sigh I motioned him to follow.

“Thank you for trying.”

Jareth looked at me interested. “You look stunning Savannah.”

“What is it with the men in this town. You act as though you’ve never seen a woman in a dress before.”

He flinched from the harshness in my voice. “Listen, no, I’m sorry. Thank you, very much. I’m just, not used to getting compliments.”

Jareth seemed shocked. “You should receive compliments everyday! Does your mate not realize how beautiful you are?”

A blush overtook my face. “Jareth! You are rather forward.”

He shrugged his shoulders with a sly smile. “I’m an angel remember? I can’t lie.”

The realization of his statement made my cheeks burn with a vengeance.

“I, uh, of course I remember you’re an angel. I just.” My hands flailed as I attempted to find my words.

“It’s alright Savannah!” He laughed, throwing his arm over my shoulders. “You really don’t get complimented that often. People seem to be too intimidated by your beauty to talk to you.

You know, I would have too, if it weren’t for the fact that you slammed me into a wall and threatened to kill me.”

“Oh god.” I buried my face in my hands, shaking my head. “I’m so sorry about that.”

“You were just doing what you were taught.”

“A wolf with an angel? Are they mad?”

My ears perked, picking up the conversation of the little fairies.

“They’ll start a commotion!”

“I can’t help but to find it utterly romantic!”

Gently I pushed Jareth’s arm from my shoulders.

“Oh no! The wolf heard us!”

“Fly!”

There will be rumors.

This will get back to Daniel.

He will kill Jareth.

He will kill me.

“This could be rather troublesome.”

I looked up at Jareth, mirroring his expression.

“We may have to stay away from each other for some time. At least until the rumors fade.”

“Damn fairies.”

My eyes nearly fell from my skull. “You just swore.”

With a laugh he turned towards me. “I’m already disobeying one rule, why not a couple more?”

Before I could protest he wrapped me in a hug, lightly kissing my hair. “See you soon.”

And then, he was gone, vanishing without a trace.

What in the holy hell, is happening?

Fuck the library.

I just need to head home.

Get out of the open.

Maybe stay holed up in my room for a while.

Next thing you know I’m going to run into Daniel.

Oh for fuck’s sake.

“The dress doesn’t suit you. Come home and we’ll get you out of it.” Daniel smirked, grabbing my waist.

“Let me go Daniel.” I struggled free, backing away.

“What is your problem?”

“Daniel,” I’m dead. This is where I die. “I can’t do this anymore. We’re not right for each other.”

“What? Don’t be ridiculous. Of course we’re right for each other. Your mind is just as sick and twisted as mine.”

“See, that right there. That’s not something you admit Daniel. You shouldn’t be proud to have a sick and twisted mind.”

“Is this because of that dog!?”

“Daniel please, just hear me out. This has nothing to do with Caiden.” My hands clasped over my mouth, but it was too late.

“You know him?” He took a threatening step forward. “You said you didn’t know him Savannah!”

I cringed as his fist flew past, crunching into the brick wall.

“Please. I just found out his name. I swear it has nothing to do with him.”

“Don’t lie you whore!”

My eyes snapped open, the form of the wolf already beginning to take hold.

A deep guttural growl escaped my throat.

Daniel stumbled back, surprised by my sudden transformation.

“Don’t you ever, call me that!”

“Vannah, calm down.”

Then, I lunged.

For the first time in my life, I stood up for myself against Daniel.

For the first time in my life I felt powerful. Truly powerful.

The whimpering fool sprung from my grasp, shocked and bleeding.

“Leave Daniel, before I do something I’ll regret.”

Quickly he ran, his tail between his legs.

With my head held high I walked home, leaving those who saw shaking in fear.

So this is what it feels like to be on top.

“Savannah! What happened now?”

“I was wrong Adrian, you can fight in a dress.”

“Obviously. Was it Daniel? Did he do this to you?”

“Did he do what to me?” My shock soaked every word.

“There’s blood everywhere Van. Where are you hurt?”

With a smirk I waved my hand. “This is not my blood Adrian, it is his.”

It was then that Adrian saw the smug look on my face. “Savannah. You need to stop this.”

“Whatever do you mean brother?”

“You know exactly what I mean. Not even an hour ago I told you no more fighting, and yet you return to my house covered in another’s blood.”

“I was protecting myself brother.”

“You were being foolish.” Suddenly he sniffed the air, his eyes dilating. “You. You were with the angel.”

“Yes.” There was no point to lie, I knew he could smell the bird in my hair. “You said as long as I rid myself of Daniel-”

“And another wolf.” My back tensed. “Did I not say to watch out for the other!? What are you trying to do Savannah? Get yourself killed?”

The sudden terror in his voice made my heart lurch. “What do you mean Adrian?”

“He is the alpha of the Vipond pack.”

My organs froze.

That was why I could never tell when he was around.

He can hide his aura.

He can sense me, but I can not sense him.

By the gods, what have I gotten myself into?

“Does he know who you are?”

“He only knows my first name.”

Adrian calmed, only slightly. “We need to move.”

“What? Adrian no. I love it here.”

“You should have thought about that before you started hanging around an angel and the alpha.”

“Neither of them have done anything to hurt me. I promise, I will be more careful.”

My brother studied me closely, his chest expanded. “Fine, but at the first sign of a fight, we leave.”

“Deal.”

I never realized how attached to this tiny town I was until now.

Or maybe it’s not the town.

Maybe it’s the people.