Status: Work in Progress

Enemies of Comfort

Far Fetched

“Brother.”

“What is it Savannah?” Adrian glanced back from his cooking, a sudden look of worry on his face. “What’s wrong? Why do you look so concerned?”

“I am fine brother, I was just, thinking.”

“About?”

“This war.” Once my words escaped my lips he went back to cooking.

“What about it?”

“How did it start?”

My brother turned, rather confused. “It started like any other war. What are you getting at Van?”

“I guess, I just don’t understand why we’re still fighting it. Our great great grandfather was the first to go through this, and we’re still fighting to this day. It is pointless.”

“It is not pointless!” Adrian’s chest puffed.

“Tell me brother, when was the last time a creature has personally hurt us? Besides when the angels attacked Luna?” His silence was excruciating. “Exactly my point. I’ve been attacked more by our own kind than I have any other.”

Adrian sighed. “I understand what you’re getting at, I really do, but there is nothing that we can do.”

He understands!

He’s on the same page that I am.

I smiled happily. “I’m not so sure that’s true brother.”

“What are you trying to say Savannah?”

“Let us make an example!”

“Vannah-”

“I have befriended an angel and a goblin. We could show them that this war is pointless! It was the war of our ancestors, it is not ours.”

Adrian lowered his head, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“It’s not going to work, no matter how hard you try. You know just as well as I do how stubborn the world can be. This is normal for the creatures on this earth, it’s natural and calming.

Just, give up on this little pipe dream of your’s.”

I felt like a tiny piece of me had died once those words filled my ears.

‘Just, give up.’

I knew this whole idea was out there, but I always thought that I could count on my brother’s guidance and support.

“No. I can’t.”

Brother’s eyebrows shot up, surprised by a response. “You can’t?”

“I’m sorry, I know you want me to, and I know how dangerous this is going to be, but, things need to change. We shouldn’t be scared of leaving our house, in fear of running into someone not of our own kind. We shouldn’t have to raise our children in this same fear. How are we expected to be truly happy with the life we’re given, if all we do is worry?”

“If you feel so strongly about it, then, I believe in you. I’ll help you any way that I can, starting with not telling our parents.”

“Thank you Adrian.” Quickly I threw him into a hug. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“I’ve missed you too. The real you.”

The real me.

That’s right, this person who worries about creatures unlike her, that’s the real me. That’s the person who is going to change the world.

___________

“I’m going for a walk brother!”

“Be safe!”

Eagerly I walked the streets, enjoying the beautiful day.

“Your mate has left town, and yet you’re still here little one?”

I glanced at the wolf now walking beside me. “He is not my mate.”

“Ah, I can’t say I’m surprised, he wasn’t worthy of your beauty.”

My cheeks flushed.

I mustn’t let his words get to me.

“Especially when you blush such a lovely crimson like that.”

The thing beating in my chest lurched to my throat at how close his face had become.

“I’m not blushing.” Swiftly I moved around him, continuing to walk. “You know, my brother isn’t terribly happy that I’ve been around you.”

Without trouble he was yet again by my side. “I see you now know who I am.” I nodded curtly. “And yet you don’t run away?”

A smile graced my lips as I looked his way. “It wouldn’t do much good now would it?”

His eyes hardened ever so slightly, but his face continued to smile. “I suppose not.”

Silence filled the space between us.

“If you want me to leave you be, I promise that I will Savannah.”

This is it!

This is my chance to get away!

. . . . . But.

“What’s all this talk about? I thought the alpha of the Vipond was a ruthless killer who cared for no one? You must not be the real Caiden after all. My brother will be so pleased.”

A smirk flitted across his face. “You doubt the greatest of your kind?”

Now it was my turn to smirk. “Greatest of my kind huh? I don’t know if I’d say that. What makes this alpha so great?”

“I heard he can jump as high as that building right there.”

We both stopped, glancing up the twenty story building.

When I looked back at Caiden, he was already watching me, waiting for a response.

“I don’t think I believe you, that’s incredibly high. Five stories maybe, but twenty? That’s a little far fetched.”

“Oh is it?”

A yelp escaped my throat as Caiden lifted me before jumping into the air.

I’m going to die from what looks like suicide!

Adrian is going to bring me back to life just kill me all over again!!

“You were saying something about far fetched?”

Gently he placed me on the rooftop, a triumphant grin on his face.

“Whoa. Caiden that’s amazing!” My excited laugh danced through the breeze as I looked over the edge. “You’re phenomenal.”

“That’s the first time I’ve been called that.” His husky voice made my insides squirm.

For a brief moment, as I gazed upon his silhouette shadowed by the sun, my mind went down a very dangerous road.

“Why do you stare at me pup?”

The curious smile on his face had butterflies coursing through my veins.

This is Caiden Vipond.

This is the wolf that Adrian and Jareth wanted me to be so cautious of.

But, why do I feel so, safe when I’m with him?

“I’m sorry, I did not realize I was staring.” Quickly I changed the subject, wishing his attention on something other than me. “What do you think of this war?”

His response being anything other than, it’s necessary, will be a surprise.

“It’s, pointless.”

Everything else ceased to exist as all of my attention fell upon the alpha.

“Do you really believe that?”

“I do. To think this war started hundreds of years ago and yet we’re still fighting it. It seems, ridiculous. There’s no point to it other than hatred of another kind because they’re different.”

An excited smile spread across my face. “Then, will you help me?”

A mix of concern and confusion mixed through his features. “Help you with what?”