Status: Opinions? Let me know :)

Eye Opener

One

"Teigs, the player's here!"

Fifteen year old Teigan ran upstairs from her room in the basement, eager to join in her makeshift family's induction of another temporary member.

Teigan was adopted, having come from a family filled with addiction and alcoholism, and although she loved her new family, they would never quite be like a real family to her. Maybe it was the fact that there were four other kids, and being the oldest she was always left to do whatever she wanted, trusted fully by both of her flustered parents. Not that she was complaining, she loved that freedom. It just got a little... Lonely.

"Come on in, how are you?" Her mother was already at the door as Teigan came up the stairs, her blonde ponytail swinging behind her.

"I'm Jake, nice to meet you." the young man in the doorway smiled, shaking hands with her father and mother, and giving high fives to the four kids.

He couldn't have been more than 17 years old, but he was extremely fit. He was about six feet tall and built lean, and his blue eyes caught her off guard as they made eye contact. He had brown hair strategically waxed and positioned in the front, and his attire was casual.

Teigan waited her turn for introductions, an event that was over in a split second, and she wondered if she was imagining it or if her hand had lingered in his just a second longer than a normal handshake.

"Teigs, would you show Jake to his room?" her mother asked, interrupting her thoughts, and Teigan nodded.

She led him down the stairs, past her door to the door at the end of the hall. Opening the door, she revealed his little private suite. There was a bathroom, a small kitchen, and a bed in the main room. It had originally been renovated for Teigan, but she'd decided to keep her room instead after all was said and done, so they'd decided to billet a player.

I'll let you unpack." she smiled shyly at him. "My door's right there if you need anything."

He thanked her, and she left him to his bags, retreating to her room. His Oil Kings debut loomed less than three days away, and everything had to be perfect.

**********

"Hey!" Jake smiled at her through his open door, as Teigan came down the stairs and opened her own door.

He was sitting up on his bed watching the TV, and she heard a familiar soundtrack.

"Hey." she smiled back at him. "Big Brother?"

"My guilty pleasure." he blushed. "You a fan? You can come watch it with me."

She entered the room, and he made space for her on the bed. She sat down and began assessing the TV.

It had been a bit more than a day since Jake had moved in, but she'd already had a surprisingly good connection with him. They'd had a few great conversations, and he'd seemed intrigued by her involvement with Soccer.

"You're in grade ten, right?" he glanced over at her.

"Mhm, and you?" she nodded.

"Grade 12 material but I'm studying from home, because of the whole traveling thing." he explained.

She glanced up and was surprised when their eyes met. It became immediately evident he didn't care about the TV. He took her hand in his, and pulled her toward him. She didn't fight it, but was surprised to find their lips meeting.

Her first emotion was complete and utter panic. She had a thing with a boy in her class, she couldn't be kissing other guys! That was cheating! Didn't that make her a bad person? Then again, he'd never treated her quite right, at least according to her friends... Being a veteran of 1 relationship, she didn't have a clue if they were right or not.

This thought was directly followed by the realization that she didn't care. It had been far too long since Teigan had felt wanted. Right now, all that mattered was this.