Status: Completed

My Light in the Dark

Part One of Two

I met a guy once, named Oliver.

We were both young and in high school. I just moved to Sheffield, where my mum got a job at. We would be moving back, of course. It was just a move for a year.

I remember meeting Oliver, and little did I know, this man would be my light in the dark, my guide.

When I first met him, we found we were into the same kind of music, in our homeroom class. We talked for ages about music, and he invited me to sit with his friends and him at lunch. Being new, of course I agreed.

He was my first friend in a large town.

At lunch, I met all of his friends. They were all kind, and hilarious. I fit right in, and I belonged.

That afternoon after school, Oliver caught up with me and gave me his number to call.

On my way home, I saw him walking, albeit rather slow. I got my mum to pull over, and I invited Oliver to come over and hang out with me. He accepted.

I remember staying up all night with him, talking about our favourite things, music, guitars, games, homework, lots of normal things. We joked around a lot, and I found myself liking Oliver a lot.

The night he took me to the cliff was an eventful one. We sat on the cliff, watching the sun go down over the city, not saying a word. The silence was comforting, and I felt like I had known Oliver my whole life.

Later that night, we were lying back on a blanket, stargazing.

That night, we confessed our feelings and kissed. He asked me out, and I agreed. He wasn't my first boyfriend, and my mum was very accepting of my first boyfriend, so it was nothing different the second time around.

Oliver's parents weren't as accepting. He did tell his mum, and even though she didn't completely agree with it, she didn't say anything hurtful or disapprove. "Anything to keep my son happy," She said. Oliver's little brother, Tom, was happy his older brother found somebody to keep him happy.

Tom and I got along very well, and he was funny, too.

All of our friends accepted us, too, congratulating us and cracking jokes.

We avoided telling Oliver's dad. Oliver hypothesized that his dad wouldn't be accepting like his mum. So, we didn't.

Six months later, on our fifth official date (we spent plenty of time together, trust me), Oliver said it first.

"I love you, Joshua Franceschi." I remember how my breath caught in my throat. I remember those hazel eyes staring at me, watching me, analysing me.

"I love you, too, Oliver Sykes," I breathed back. The grin he gave me could light up London.

That night, Oliver took my virginity, and I took his, on a blanket by a cliff.

A month after that, we came out to Oliver's dad. He had a hard time accepting it, but after seeing how happy Oliver was with me, he did accept it, accepted us.

Two months later, my world changed. I knew had to leave, but I kept putting it off. Even as we started packing, I was in denial. I couldn't leave Oliver. I couldn't leave the love of my life, the man who brightened my world, the man who made me feel like I had a purpose.

I don't think I've ever hugged anybody so tight as I said goodbye to Oliver. All of our friends and his brother were there, too, but I already said bye to them. I left Oliver for last so I would have more time with him.

"Promise me we'll find each other again," Oliver whispered into my hair.

"I promise," I whispered. I don't think I could get my voice any louder.

Oliver pulled from the hug and slipped something into my hand.

"I love you, Joshua Franceschi." He said proudly, not caring who was there.

"I love you, too, Oliver Sykes," I answered. He pulled me into a kiss. I kissed back, our hands locked together.

"Come on, love," My mum's gentle voice broke me from the kiss. I knew she hated this too.

"One more year, I'm coming straight back here," I promised. Oliver nodded, helping me into the car. Mum started the engine, and I watched as Oliver wiped tears from his eyes. I was holding mine in, but once he waved bye with everyone else, I let all of them fall, waving back as mum drove off.

I looked down in my hand after wiping away my tears, and saw a necklace. It was a heart, with 'Oliver and Joshua' carved into it. I put it on, and stared out the window at the now greyer world.