Status: Working on fixing previous chapters...

Azure

Snatched

Sweat trickled down my temple as I finished organizing the final stack of orders for the day. They would be ready to ship off in the morning, delivered to families, friends, lovers to look back on for years to come. Kyle, my boss, had asked my to stay late today due to the influx of orders we get in this season. My eyes glanced at the clock, taking in how late it had gotten. It didn't help that we were trying to cram in final appointments before we closed for the holidays as well. Last minute senior pictures as well as family portraits and Christmas cards.. It was our busiest time of the year, so that was no surprise. A sigh escaped my lips as I sealed off the last box, setting it down by the front desk so that everything would go much smoother in the mornings. Kyle would be taking them to the post office the next day.

"Done at last?" The voice shook me with surprise and I whipped my head around to find Kyle locking up his office for the day. A small smile graced my lips as he walked closer to get a good look at what I had done.

"Yeah, thanks for the help," I couldn't help but tease him. When he'd asked for help, I didn't expect the one to be doing all the heavy lifting. He gave me a sheepish grin in reply.

"You know I had to get the editing done. Look, I really appreciate your help. Honestly. I'll even drive you home," he motioned outside and that was when I noticed that snow had begun to accumulate on the concrete. Being inside a stuffy studio and working all day really made you forget the fact that it was winter. It took me a second to tear my eyes away from the magnificent sight of Baltimore snow to decline his offer.

"You don't have to do that. I only live a few blocks away. Besides, you have a pregnant wife waiting at home. Don't keep Melinda waiting," a sly smirk stretched across my lips, "Besides, I can think of a much better way you could pay me back... say I don't know," I looked around as if searching for a suggestion, "You buy me drinks next time."

"You've got a deal, Des," Kyle laughed, slipping his coat on, one foot already out the door. "You okay to lock up?"

"Aren't I the one who usually does anyway?" Rolling my eyes, I practically shoved him out the door, "Now go." Once he left, I allowed myself to breathe a little. Kyle was a good friend, but he was still my boss first and foremost. The intimidation I felt around him never seemed to dissipate in the slightest. It took me another five minutes to grab my own things before locking up and heading out.

The mid-December air was chilly and I huddled closer to my coat in an attempt to block at the cold wind. Flakes of snow stuck against lashes, a small giggle bubbling past my lips as I tried to blink them away. Downtown Baltimore was never this quiet, but our studio was located in one of the quieter neighborhoods of the city. The streets were completely empty save for a random passer-by every now and then, but they always disappeared before I could even register that they were there.

My fingers clenched in the pockets of my coat. Despite the fact that I've lived in the city for three years now, I could never get used to these quiet nights. My eyes skirted around the scenery nervously before I caught myself. I was being undoubtedly irrational. Of course it was good to be cautious, but I was acting like something was going to jump out of an alley and try to kill me any second. I laughed at my own ridiculousness before a loud clang from the nearby alleyway forced a startled gasp out of me. My breath quickened, steps faltering before halting completely.

It must be a cat, or even a homeless person. Steeling myself, I bit down on my lower lip, keeping my eyes cast downward. Walking with tentative strides, I tried to reassure myself that it was nothing but before I could reach the other side, a hand shot out from the darkness of the alley to curl around my arm and pull me in while the another placed itself over my mouth.

Despite my struggles, I couldn't seem to break free of the stranger's grasp, my breathing heavy and coming out in puffs before us. My eyes tried to scan the location, looking for anything that could help. I was really cursing myself now for not carrying around pepper spray like my friends had advised me to do so many times.

"See? No need to struggle. It's only me," I froze at his words. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What did he mean? His voice did not sound familiar in the slightest. Was he implying we already knew each other? A chill ran down my spine as the weight of his words fully registered in my mind. It's not that I had given up, but that the fear of what might become of me kept me from being able to move an inch. Weren't they always saying if you're taken hostage, comply with their demands to prevent aggravating the assailant? At least, that's what they always did on the cop shows.

My hands trembled at my sides, awaiting what he might do next. There was a sound of shuffling and the feel of cool metal snapping around my wrists. Cuffs? Where in the word did he get his hands on those?

"Now... I'm going to release you. Don't scream okay? I don't wanna have to hurt you like." My eyes widened in horror, "Okay?" He spoke again, only for me to realize that he was expecting a response. Shakily, I gave him a single nod and he slipped his hand from my mouth. I took in a large gulp of air, trying to calm my racing heart. I could feel his hands release me and my first instinct was to run, but decided against it. I didn't know what kind of weapons he had on him. For all I know, he could be carrying a gun. The fact that I found the courage to speak however, surprised even myself.

"Who-Who are you," my words were spoken slowly and with caution. I felt him stiffen behind me at my words. He didn't answer, instead, grabbing my bag to look through it. "What are you do-ing, " this time, my voice was shrill, breaking off into a whimper when his gaze finally met mine. He paused his actions before smiling brightly. I staggered back in surprise, eyes following the movement of his hand as he lifted it out of the bag. "M-my phone," I croaked.

"You won't be needing this," he tossed the device onto the asphalt of the alleyway and tears welled up in my eyes as sheer panic began to build up within me. "December," my head snapped in his direction once again, eyes wide and fearful.

"How did you-" When had he gotten so close? Why couldn't I get enough air? How did he know my name? He stepped closer and I found myself fumbling back until my back hit the cool brick of the building behind me. Whimpers struggled past my lips as one of his hands reached up to caress my cheek. He softly hushed me, his breath fanning over my skin. "Relax," there was an instance of a sharp pain in my neck.

"No, nonononono," my tongue felt heavier and heavier. It was getting continuously harder to stand and before I realized, my head was resting on his shoulder. He was supporting almost my entire weight now as I tried to blink away the drowsiness. Betrayed by my own body. So this is what that feels like.

"My name is Alex. I love you and you love me."

That was the last thing I heard before blacking out completely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welcome to all and any readers; both old and new!

Ahh, I guess this could be my declaration of "I'm back?" I'm sure you've figured out that this is a rewrite of Unexpected Love by now. Do not fret, questions that were unanswered before shall finally be answered. However, the story won't be exactly the same. I've made some adjustments. For starters, Alex is not associated with All Time Low in any way shape or form. In fact, you can't really even consider this Alex to be a true portrayal of the real one. I hope this is an improvement, yes? Six years is a long time. Enjoy?
-N.

Tweaked a few lines here and there. Changes the dynamic of the story a bit.