Angel

I Love You Daddy

A howl could be heard from far off in the distance. I just rolled my eyes going back to my all time favorite book ‘pride and predigest’.
“Stupid Colorado wildlife.” I muttered.
Soon after I heard a small knock on the library door.
“Come in. I'm in the reading nook.” I called. The grand maple doors creaked open. I heard small muffled footsteps come around the bookshelves. His face was tear streaked and eyes puffy. Sammi is the shyest out of my… how do I put this nicely, psychotic family.
“Octavia?” He whispered.
“Sam what's wrong? “ I asked searching his face. Anger swelled up in my chest. I hate when Sammi is upset. After a moment of silence he ran over to me, knocking the book off my lap and curling up on my crossed legs,his small head on my chest. He was shaking with every shuddering breath.
“Mom and dad had a huge fight again. It was the ninth time just this week.” he whispered. I could feel his warm tears staining my thin shirt. “Dad threatened to leave us again, he's never sounded so serious before.” I didn't say anything, what could I say? Sorry kid dad's an ass with a gigantic ego. He's gonna break this already crumbling family apart and walk away. Nothing to do but watch it happen. But don't worry you'll get over it within maybe ten years. Sam looked up;his chubby cheeks even more blotchy than before. I wiped the tears away with my thumb.
“I'm sorry Sammi.” God I'm not good at the apology thing. I sighed. “Hey how ‘bout I read to you?” I asked trying to get the subject away from the family.
“Shel Silverstein? “ He asked a smile pulling at the corner of his lips.
“Classic I like it.” I smiled. Walking over to the shelf I sifted through books that haven't even been touched for over five years. Finally, my fingers brushed over the spine of my favorite poems writer. I grabbed the dusty book and sat back down, Sammi crawled next to me resting his head on my shoulder. I stopped reading when my little brother was passed out and drooling on my shoulder. I detached his face from my arm, setting his head down on a pillow and turning off the lights.
Sooner or later I inched to my bathroom. I walked into my bathroom looking in the mirror, my lightly tanned skin illuminated by the harsh lights and my hair that was cascading down my back had a blue undertone to it. I sighed washing my face and pulling my hair onto a pony for bed. After I brushed my teeth I turned out the light and headed to my bedroom. I was still so pissed at my dad, he always does this stupid shit to us. After some time staring at my ceiling sleep finally pulled me under its depths.
I had such a weird dream it felt so real. It was a normal weekend morning, I was at breakfast. I heard a noise like a gunshot. The gun was in my hand. I looked up wide eyed to see my dad's limp body fall on the kitchen table, a hole straight through his head.
“I love you daddy.” I whispered.