Angel

Maybe its a fluke?

“Dammit Octavia. You leaned in.” He said.
“No shit.” I groaned. Finn ran over pulling Jaden to his feet by his shirt. Finn literally looked like he was going to kill Jaden.
“Finn it's not his fault, I leaned in.” I said trying to get up, using the ground for help. Finn let him go.
“Practice is over.” He growled.
“Sorry Octavia” Jaden said, and he was off. I walked over to my water, taking a drink.
“Let me see your back Tavia.” Finn said walking behind me.
“I'll be fine.” I said.
“You grabbed your back when Jaden hit you. No you won't be just fine.” Finn snapped. He grabbed the edge of my shirt pulling it up. I heard a little gasp.
“It doesn't hurt that bad. I got use to the pain.” I said.
“Dammit Tavia! Your whole back is black and blue!” He said,walking around and grabbing my face gently so I'm looking at him. “You can't just not tell me.” He said searching my face. I nodded.
“I've never heard you curse before.” I said.
“No shit! I'm worried you're going to get yourself killed.” He kissed me. “If you ever do that again I swear.”
“Yeah, yeah. Fine. I won't.” I said looking at him. He relaxed.
“You are such a helicopter parent. You know that?” I said, smiling.
He shrugged.
“I'll survive.” He wrapped his arms around my waist, flying back to campus. “You know there are other angels here besides Jaden.” He said, when we landed on the girls dorm. I stared at him wide eyed.
“Really! Why the hell didn't you tell me!” I punched his arm.
“I didn't think you cared.” He said.
“Who is it?” I asked.
“Mr. Vapell, he is sort of our guardian. And then there is Emma, your friend. And actually Mr. Myers.” He said casually.
“Emma?!” I yelled. I sprinted to her room ignoring my back and stomach screaming in pain. I knocked on her door until she opened it. Emma's face was sort of shocked, I stepped in painting.
“Your an angel? Why in God's name didn't you tell me?!” I gasped. She laughed.
“Welcome to the family.” She said, smiling.
“Thanks. I hate how you didn't tell me.” I glared at her. Finn walked in, nodding to Emma, she nodded back. “I hate you both now.” I groaned. Finn shrugged.
“Were you able summon your wings yet?” Emma asked eagerly.
“No.” I sighed. “But I am learning to fight. I got my ass handed to me on a plate today in training.” I laughed. I felt Finn stiffen beside me.
“Holy crap! Are you okay?” Asked Emma glancing at Finn.
“I might have a broken hand and a busted kidney but yeah other then that I'm fine.” I said, reassuring her.
“And your back is black and blue.” Finn muttered under his breath. Emma gasped and turned me around, I flinched. She lifted up my shirt, her eyes scanning my back and gasped again. I sighed pulling my shirt down and turning back around.
“I'll be fine. It's only a bruise.” I said.
“Octavia no it isn't, there are about five lumps on you back. Jaden broke five of your ribs in half. You are not okay.” Emma said.
“What?! I didn't notice those before!?” Finn growled. Now it was his turn to lift my shirt up, he ran his finger over the lumps. I tried to muffle my yell, which came out as a desperate cry of pain. Finn growled, turning back around, going to find Jaden again. I fixed my shirt and ran out to go find him. He was running across the courtyard.
“Finn! Finn stop!” I yelled. He turned around fuming. “Stop Finn. I was the one who leaned in. That’s what sparing is right? Actual fighting. He saw his shot and took it. Yeah I have five broken ribs now so whatever.” I said when I caught up to him.
“But he hurt you.” He said. His fists clenching at his sides. He turned around again and ran to find Jaden again.
“Dammit Finn.” I muttered. I tried to run but it hurt to much, so I just walked fast. Finn burst through Jaden’s door, he looked up from his book.
“Thanks for knocking.” He said.
“You broke five of Octavia’s ribs!” Finn yelled. Jaden’s face dropped, I finally found his room, leaning against the door frame for support.
“Finn don't.” I said.
“Octavia, I… I didn't know. I'm really sorry.” Stuttered Jaden.
I waved him off.
“It's fine. You were doing what Finn told you to do, I just learned my lesson.” I shrugged, wincing. “I'll just kick your ass another day.” I smiled. He smiled back.Finn was over Jaden in a flash, he picked up Jaden by the shirt and pinned him to the ground I yelled for Finn to stop. That didn't work. I ran over to them trying to get Finn off of his friend. I put my thumb and index finger on either side of Finn’s neck, finding his pressure point, he passed out, landing on top of Jaden. He just stared at me, eyes wide. He nudged Finn off of him, getting up.
“Shit, you need to teach me that.” He smiled at me. “But I am really sorry.”
I shrugged.
“Really, it's fine. Now help me get him to his room.” I said, bending down to grab his ankles, Jaden nodded and grabbed his arms. Finally, he got Finn into his bed and closed the door. “I'm sorry about him going all ninja pissed off angel or whatever.” I said, looking up at Jaden.
“I get it. He cares for you, he has never lashed out like that about anyone before.” He said. “I should go. I'm still sorry.” Jaden walked back to his room. I decided to go talk to Mr.Vapell, when I knocked on his office door,He opened it and smiled.
“Hello Ms.Cromwell.” He said, stepping aside to let me in.
“I know you are an angel.” I blurted out
Mr. Vapell nodded.
“Yes, yes I know. Finn told me. Call me John. Since I am now technically your angel guardian.” He smiled. I nodded.
“I didn't mean to kill that girl. I still feel bad about that.” I said not looking at him.
“You didn't know you had a gift, I just told the police she fell and choked.” John said.
I looked up.
“Thank you.” I said.
“If you need help in anything please don’t hesitate to ask. And you can spend all your time training, your classes can wait.” He said.
“Really? Okay umm thank you.” He nodded again.
“How is your back anyway?” He asked.
“Well I broke five ribs just today but I'm fine.” I laughed. John's eyes widened.
“Well damn.” He muttered. “You should get some rest. Like I said you can come talk to me if needed.” He said, opening his door.
“Thank you again.” I said. He nodded. I walked around campus, finding a lake tucked back into the woods. I sat on a rock that was hanging over the sparkling water. I sat there looking out into the water, I don't know what time it was until I heard leaves crunching under foot. I looked up to see Finn, I smiled. He smiled back.
“I had a feeling you would find this place sooner or later.” He sat down next to me, running his hand through his hair. “Hey I'm sorry about the Jaden thing. Thanks for using the pressure point.” He said glancing over at me.
“You could have really hurt him you know. Besides my back already feels better.” I said.
“May I?” He asked. I nodded turning around. His warm fingers pulled my shirt up to the bottom of my bra. I heard him gasp.
“Is it even more purple now?” I groaned. “Because I swear it feels a lot better.”
“No. Octavia your back is completely healed.” He said, his fingers brushing over the places where my broken ribs where. “Only very powerful angels can heal this quickly.” He said, pulling my shirt back down.
“I can't even summon my wings, that's not possible.” I said turning back around. He shrugged.
“Might have been a fluke?” He asked.