Status: We are in the middle of editing and writing new chapters <3 hopefully new things will be coming soon.

Sunflower Fields

Cassia: Chapter Two

I shoved my hair out of my face and studied the schedule in my hand even though I already memorized it. I just didn’t want to have to see everyone hugging the friends they hadn’t seen all summer when I had no one to even look for in these halls. If I don’t look up I won’t have to deal with any of it. I won’t have to remember all the shit that happened last year. I won’t be the sad new girl with no friends. I sighed and looked up. It didn’t work that way. “Cassia?”
“Wyatt?” I hadn’t seen him in years… Our parents used to be friends so I guess we were friends too. Then they stopped being friends and Wyatt and I did too. I didn’t even know he went to school here. “What are you doing here?”
“Same thing as you, I guess. Suffering.” I laughed with relief, maybe I won’t be all alone this year. “Are you new this year, Cassia, I’ve never seen you around before?” I nodded slowly.
“Some stuff happened at my old school… Basically all my friends stopped talking to me and I couldn’t stay. So here I am. New school but still alone.” He tilted his head. His dark brown eyes twinkled at me.
“You’re not alone, you’ve got me.” He through a heavy arm around my shoulder. “So where is your first class, kid?” He steered me down the hall. “Stick with me, girly, and we’ll have a great year.” I smiled.
“Promises.”
“You’ll see. You’ll meet the gang at lunch and see what a great year it’ll be.”
I scanned the lunchroom. The walls were mustard yellow and everyone spoke in a roar. Round black tables were scattered around. I skipped down the steps from where the food, as we cautiously refer to it as, sat. I plopped down next to Wyatt and smiled at all the new faces.
“Hey, Wy, who’s this?” A female voice asked from behind me and a hand rested on my shoulder to show I was who she was asking about. I turned to see red hair framing her face that seemed to study me.
"This is Cassia. She's new." Wyatt put his arm around my shoulder playfully. I shrugged him off and smiled at her.
"Hi, I'm Arabella. Anddd... I've gotta go." She laughed and ran across the lunchroom into someone’s waiting arms. He kissed her forehead while glaring our way. I found myself staring after her baffled. I don't think I'd ever seen someone so beautiful in their chaos. Wyatt laughed and stole a soggy fry off my tray.
“That’s my best friend Ara. She rarely eats in here. She’s always outside with her boy, Malcolm.” I nodded slowly.

It was months before I saw her again.

"Cassia, right?" She walked up to me in the line.
"Yeah... And you're Arabella." She smiled happily.
"Oh please. Everyone calls me Ara. I think the only one that calls me Arabella is my dad. Blech." She giggled, grabbing milk from the fridge. "It’s raining outside." She said in a disappointed huff. "And it's way too cold to play in so it looks like I'll be eating in here." She grabbed nachos off the lunch line and processed to check out. I rolled my eyes at the lie that was the nachos, the cheese looked like plastic. I shook my head and decided I would start packing a lunch from now on. I walked to the table and plopped down. It seemed to be more full than normal. There were boys on either side of Ara, not that she seemed to notice them, she was focused on me. I blushed at the intensity in her blue, faintly green eyes.
"So tell me, Cassia, does pineapple belong on pizza?" She asked, with a total straight face. This seemed like a trick question.
"Fuck yeah it does." I laughed, hoping it was the right answer.
"I like her!" She said to no one in particular. "I think we're going to get along just fine."
“She is pretty cool, right?” Wyatt chimed in. “Anyway… My parents are out of town this weekend so I want to have a small… I repeat SMALL party. So who’s in? The invite is only for the people at this table. “
“I’m gonna take a wild guess and say this happened before and it got all out of hand?” I pushed my hair out of my face.
Ara opened her mouth but Wyatt held up his hand. “Nobody fucking tell her.” Ara shoved Wyatt playfully. They reminded me of brother and sister sometimes. I made a mental note to ask them their story. “It’s tomorrow night. Show up. Bring snacks. Cass… Bring some of those cupcakes you’re always making.” ­­
♠ ♠ ♠
A+T