Status: I recommend you to read "Enough" before reading this!

Tonight the World Dies

10: Lost the Meaning of Our Stay

A couple more weeks passed but Beks didn't get better. I urged her to go to the doctor and see if she could be put on some sort of antibiotics or something but she refused, claiming it was only the flu. I've tried to be stern with her through her illness; I've tried keeping her in bed for the most part but she hates and so do I. I was kind of hoping it would convince her to go to the doctor, but so far she's been as stubborn as ever.

One morning she walked downstairs and despite having slept over ten hours the night before she still looked completely exhausted.

"What are you doing out of bed?" I asked her.

"It's Vals baby shower." She told me.

"I know. I didn't realize you felt up to going." I replied, taking a bite of my cereal. She sat next to me on the couch and I fed her a bite too. She had given up days ago when it came to us sharing germs.

"She insists." She told me but I knew even if Val didn't insist, Beks would still try her best to go. She was just a really good friend like that; she hated missing out on big milestones.

I insisted on cancelling my plans with the guys and going to the shower with her but she refused, saying she could take care of herself. So, when the time came I kissed her on the lips goodbye and we parted ways for the day.

A few hours passed and once Valary called Matt and told him the shower was over and she needed him to come pick up some of the gifts, I decided I better get back home and check on Beks. I said my goodbyes to my best friends and headed home.

When I got home, I parked next to Beks's car and got out. I walked into the house and called out to Beks when I realized she wasn't in the living room. I checked the kitchen, laundry room and bathroom before deciding she must be asleep. I climbed the stairs, reminding myself to scold her later for sleeping with the front door unlocked. I glanced in the upstairs bathroom before making my way into our bedroom.

Beks was lying in the bed, snoring softly. I couldn't help but smile at her sleeping form as I entered the room. It was still daylight outside, but I craved her body against mine so I approached the bed quietly. I kicked off my shoes and dropped my pants. I was pulling off my shirt when Beks's eyes fluttered open.

"Sorry baby," I whispered. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"That's okay," she yawned. "It's about time you bring your ass up here."

I chuckled and tossed back the blankets, "You must really be out of it. I just got home."

"Oh, I could have sworn I heard you come home earlier." She shook her head. "I must've dreamed it."

I crawled into bed, chucking again. I pulled her to me and pulled the blanket over us. She wrapped her leg and arm around me. "We can go downstairs and watch a movie if you want," she offered.

"Nah, I'm okay with this arrangement right here. Get some rest; we'll schedule you a doctor’s appointment later." I told her.

She cuddled closer to me, burying her face into my chest. "Gena said hi," she told me.

"You saw her?"

"Yeah, she said she wishes you happiness even if it's not with her."

I pulled Beks closer to me but didn't reply. I know, even though it had been months, Beks still felt really badly about hurting Gena. Gena hadn't spoken to either one of us, and we accepted it as the consequences, but neither of us wanted it. We both loved Gena, we didn't want to lose her, it just happened.

At the same time, I knew I couldn't feel that bad about it. I loved Beks, I knew Beks and I were meant to be together and I couldn't stay with Gena after realizing that. It wouldn't be fair to either of us.

I consumed myself in thoughts for what seemed like hours until finally thoughts turned to dreams, and sleep claimed me as its own.
Beks's Doctor wasn't available to see her for another week. I begged her to go to any doctor available seeing as she wasn't getting any better, but she declined her counter-argument being she wasn't getting any worse either.

Finally, the day of the doctor’s appointment came and I dared Beks to try to get out of it.

I grabbed my keys and turned to Beks, "Are you ready?"

She looked at me oddly, "Yeah, I am but where are you going?"

I returned her expression. "With you?"

She shook her head. "No, you have an interview today."

"I cancelled it," I told her with a shrug. "I want to go see what the doctor says."

She smiled softly. "No, go to your interview. I'll be fine and I'll call you as soon as I know something," she gave me a kiss on the lips. "Plus, he's just going to tell me it's the flu, and wouldn't you rather me tell you 'I told you so' in private rather than in the doctor’s office in front of witnesses?"

I smiled and handed her the keys. "Fine," I told her. She gave me another kiss and we walked out of the house together. She walked to her car and I followed, opening the door for her.

"I love you," she told me after giving me another kiss.

I pulled her back in for another one. "I love you too." She got in her car and I closed the door before she started the vehicle and drove off.

I pulled out my phone while walking to my car; I got in and then dialed the place where the interview was being held. It rang a few times before they answered. After I told them I actually could make the interview, I hung up and pulled out of the driveway.

A couple of hours and a million questions later, I was finally on my way home. I pulled into the driveway and frowned when I noticed Beks's car wasn't in the driveway. I pulled out my phone and found Beks's number. I was just about to hit the call button when the screen changed.

A familiar face with blonde hair popped up on the screen. It was Gena's contact photo. I hit the green accept button and brought the phone to my ear, expecting it to be an accidental call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Zack. It's Gena." She said.

Okay, so it wasn't an accidental call. "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good. Are you busy? I'd really like to get some coffee and talk."

I nodded, but then realized she couldn't see me. "That sounds great."

"Okay, how about The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Beach Boulevard?"

I nodded. "I'm on my way."

We said our goodbyes and I started the car back up and headed to the coffee shop to meet Gena.

I arrived ten minutes later and walked in, looking around. I saw Gena sitting in a corner. She had a cup of coffee in front of her and another cup in front of the seat across from her. She spotted me and waved, I smiled and approached her.

She stood up and embraced me, which took me off guard. Gena and I hadn't talked since she left my house after I broke up with her and that was months ago. I hugged her back, and then sat across from her.

"How are you? Is everything okay?" I asked her.

She nodded and took a sip from her coffee. "Yeah," she told me. "I've just been thinking and I really hate how things ended between us."

"Yeah, me too." I said quietly. "Gena, I never meant to hurt you."

She gave me a soft, sincere smile. "I know, Zack."

I didn't know what to say so I took a sip of my coffee. She studied me for a moment before opening her mouth. "I saw Bekah last week at Valary's baby shower, did she tell you?"
I nodded. "Yeah, she told me."

"She didn't look very well, is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's just been fighting with the flu or something for like a month or so now. She's at the doctor now."

"That's good," she said.

Awkward silence blanketed us and I silently cursed myself for not thinking of anything to say. My coffee was half gone now, and soon I wouldn't have a reason to stay, though I wasn't ready to leave. Gena was one of my best friends, and although I didn't love her anymore I didn't want that to be the end of our friendship.

"Gena..." I started, but she had started to speak as well. We both closed our mouths and I motioned to her, allowing her to speak first.

She cleared her throat. "I was just going to say I'm glad you two finally started dating. I've known since high school that you guys were meant to be together, I was just too selfish to let you go. I don't know if anything happened between you two in high school, and I don't want to know - but...I don't know. It's just...It's about damn time."

I smiled softly. "You weren't selfish," I told her. "I loved you; I wanted to be with you. We just weren't meant to last a lifetime."

She nodded and looked away from me. I wasn't sure if she was holding back any tears or not. "You seem happy," she said softly.

"I am." I told her.

She nodded, still not looking at me. "I'm glad."

"Are you seeing anyone?" I asked her.

She shrugged and looked at me. "Nothing really serious," she told me.

I took another drink of my coffee. "That's alright. You'll find someone.” It sounded stupid and cliché once it came out of my mouth, I wish I hadn't have said it.

She laughed slightly. "That was like the cliché of all clichés."

I shook my head, "I know, I know." She opened her mouth to reply but my phone rang. It was Beks. "Sorry, I have to take this," I told her. She nodded and took another sip of her coffee. I clicked the accept button and brought the phone to my ear. "Hey, baby. Is everything okay?" I tried to keep my voice calm, but I was worried the doctor had given her bad news.

"Everything is fine," she sounded happy. "Where are you?"

"I'm getting some coffee," I told her. "I'm about ten minutes from the house. Are you still at the doctor’s office?"

"No, I'm at home."

"Well, what did the doctor say? Did he give you something to get rid of the flu?" I asked her.

Her reply was short. "No."

I was confused. She sounded happy, but if the doctor didn't give her anything for the flu then what was wrong with her? "No?"

"We can talk about it when you get home," she sounded cheerful again. Okay, so it wasn't bad news but it wasn't the flu? I was so confused.

"Okay. I love you," I told her. I felt Gena's eyes glance my way as the words escaped my lips. I didn't look at her.

"I love you too," she said and hung up.

I hung up too and stuffed my phone into my pocket. I still didn't look at Gena. I don't know why I felt bad using the L-word in front of her. Maybe it was because I felt like I was rubbing it in her face, I wasn't sure.

"Do you need to go?" She asked me.

Technically, I didn't have to, but I was eager to find out what was going on with my girlfriend. "Yeah," I lied. "Beks just got home from the doctor. I should go see what's going on."

She nodded, looking disappointed. We both stood and I embraced her again. "It was nice seeing you," she told me.

"I really want to be friends, Gena." I told her as we parted. "I mean it. I don't want to lose you because it didn't work out between us."

She nodded, "I know."

"I'll talk to you later," I told her throwing some money on the table to pay for our coffees and walked to the door. I was halfway to my car when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Zack!" Gena called. I turned around and she walked up to me. I didn't say anything and she didn't give me the chance to. "Don't let what happened between us mess anything up between you and Bekah."

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

She took a semi-deep breath. "Don't let the fear of her saying no keep you from proposing to her when you're ready. Not all of us are dumb enough to turn you down. You guys belong together, so don't let my mistake mess your way of thinking up."

I didn't know what to say. "I won't," I told her, nodding.

She gave me a weak smile. "Okay. I'll talk to you later."

I nodded and began to walk back to my car. On the way home, I thought a lot about what Gena had said. I hadn't thought about proposing to Beks yet, but I knew I didn't want to live without her.

I pulled into the driveway and parked in my usual spot next to Beks's car. I got out and locked the car door and headed to the house. My footsteps caused the porch to creak as I walked across it. My hand gripped the doorknob and turned it.

Everything after this moment happened in slow motion.

A gun went off as I entered and suddenly Beks's light colored shirt began to turn crimson. She fell to the floor, and before I could take a step towards her another gunshot rang through the house. I ran towards Beks before I even knew what was happening.

Jake was lying beside her, with a bullet hole in the side of his head and the gun still in his grasp.
He was dead.

I pulled my bloody girlfriend into my lap, her blood seeped through my clothes but it didn't matter. All that mattered was if she was still alive.
And she had to still be alive.
She had to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah shit. Next two chapters are the last! They will also be set AFTER the last chapter of Enough so make sure you've read that before continuing.

Also, I have a new story out called The Fire and the Flood, which is a love triangle type of story with an OC/Zack/Matt. If you wanna read that go here

Title credit: Avenged Sevenfold "Tonight the World Dies"