Status: In Progress

Armored Heart

Chapter 1

Josh’s P.O.V

There was a shift that day he walked into the room; time stood still. I felt everything I had once known slowly fade away. I didn’t even know his name, but I knew I’d spend the rest of my life doing whatever it took to make him mine.

I suppose I should backtrack.

There was a chill in the air that first day. The skyscrapers that lined the city made me feel microscopic, as if I didn’t feel invisible enough. The purple flags draped the building, viciously flapping against the cold stone walls. NYU. Never in a million years did I think I would be embarking on this journey in New York City. Today was day one. I gathered the last of my things out of our car, slamming the trunk behind me.

“Well? Are you ready?” my mom asked. I sighed, staring up at the building, and then back to her.
“As ready as I’m ever gonna be.” I shrugged. She smiled.
“You’re going to be just fine. This is your new start. Make the most of it.” I nodded, cluthing my belongings. She was right. This was the greatest city in the world. What better place to start this journey.

“Have you met your roommate yet?” My dad asked, shutting the passenger door.
“Not yet.” I said “But I’m sure he’s fine.”

We took the rest of my things and made our way through the large doors, leading into the open lobby. This was all so overwhelming. It was hard to believe that this was going to be my new home for the next four years. The lobby in itself was bigger than my house. My heart began to race. It was all real now. I had looked at images of the school countless times over the summer, I guess with hopes it make it all seem familiar when I finally arrived. But I was wrong. This was nothing like the photos I scrolled through on off brand laptop in the heart of Columbus, Ohio. People only dream of coming to the city that never sleeps, and here I am.

We made our way down the halls, into the elevator and eventually to the dorm floor.
“Room 113.” I said, approaching the door at the end of the hall. I double checked my schedule. I took a deep breath and turned the knob, pushing the door in with my back.

The room was dark and quiet.
“I guess the we’re the first ones here.” My dad said, placing a box down at the foot of the bed to the left.
“Is this the one you want? You get dibs, you were here first.” I smiled.
“Yeah that one’s fine. Doesn’t really matter to me.” I tossed my bag down, throwing myself onto the bed. I felt my eyelids get heavy.

“So are you all set?” I heard my mom say. I quickly picked up my head, finding her in the doorway; my dad finishing unloading the rest of my things. It didn’t take long.
“I think I’m okay.” I sighed. She smiled, nodding at me.
“Okay, well, you’re going to do just fine. You’re more than ready. It’s a new year.”

That was somewhat comforting. But she was right. It was a new year. I wasn’t the same guy I was last year. I was better. I was getting better. Everything was going to be okay. I felt my eyes get heavy again.

I was then quickly awakened with a subtle knock on the door. I shot up, rubbing my eyes letting my vision clear. My cheeks burned.

“Hey” he said, smiling, sticking his hand out in my direction. My heart started to beat faster. “My names Tyler.” I hesitated, but eventually reached out my hand smiling back.

There was a shift.