Status: In Progress

Armored Heart

Chapter 3

My parents were strict when I was younger. Homework done before dinner, teeth brushed and in bed by 9, every night. We were a very “by the book” family, and yet deep down, I felt like I was always a page behind. My sisters, both beautiful and perfect, were my parents pride and joy. They made it very difficult to keep up. It seemed as though life came so effortlessly to them. And my brother liked to keep to himself, and he was good at it. Never rocking the boat, and always doing what he was told. Again in most parent’s eyes, the perfect child. And then like in many afterschool specials, there was me. I wasn’t exactly someone who enjoyed the spotlight, but I didn’t particularly enjoy the idea of only being a fly on the wall. I had always been intrigued by the music scene, rock music in particular. Those musicians were as themselves as they could ever be, and I envied that about them. Totally fearless out on the stage. That’s what I want, but I could never…

“Hey.” I heard from the other side of the room. I awoke from my personal flashback, looking over in his direction? I gave him a questioning “Hm?” in response. He sat down on the floor, quickly tying his shoes.
“Do you wanna come with me down to the cafeteria? I’m just now realizing I forgot to pack snacks for the dorm. You hungry?” I thought for a second, and jumped at the offer.
“Sure.” I said, spinning my legs off the side of my bed, slipping my feet into my worn out Vans. I’ve been meaning to get new shoes. It was quiet for a moment as we both made our way down the hallway. It seemed as though everyone in our hallway was getting quite friendly. I wondered if I’d ever let myself join in on the festivities.

“So where are you from?” He asked, now looking in my direction as he gracefully glided into the elevator, pressing the button for the floor level. I looked over at him. It’s as if he’s lived here his whole life.
“Columbus.” I managed. “Ohio” He moved back, giving me a questioning smirk squinting his eyes at me. He giggled. I felt my cheeks begin to burn.
“Shut up” he said, playfully shoving me. I hide the subtle smile escaping from my lips.
“What?” I asked. He stared at me again, assessing if I was pulling his leg.
“Me too..” He said, without breaking expression. I mimicked his face.
“How have we never met?” He asked, now leaning in. The closer he got I felt my heart start to beat faster and faster…
“I.. I don’t know, I mean.. I never really went out.” I said, shrugging.
“So you couldn’t have possibly seen me play.” He said, moving his eyes towards the lights above the door as they slowly made their way down. 7, 6, 5…
“Play where? W-What do you play?” I asked. He smiled again, bringing his attention to the floor, and then back up to me.
“It’s nothing really. I write songs. Just me and a few guys would play some of the small venues around town. But you said you really didn’t get out much, so I doubt you could’ve.”
“I might’ve.” I lied. I didn’t want him thinking any less of me, like one of those weird kids from school who spends his time alone in his basement. Finally, we reached the ground floor. He smiled back at me as he walked through the elevator doors, making his way to the cafeteria. I made sure to follow closely behind.