A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 42

Matt's POV

I pulled up and took a deep breath, preparing myself. I told Lucy I was picking the boys up at 11 and I expected some kind of resistance, she wouldn't be able to help herself.

I got out, walking to the door and pressing the bell, waiting for her to answer.

"Matt." She snapped, finally opening the door after taking her sweet ass time.

"Are the boys ready?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"Why did you change the locks." She snapped. "It was uncalled for."

"No." I snapped back. "What was uncalled for was you sneaking into my house when I wasn't home."

She laughed. "Our house Matthew, remember that."

"Whatever." I muttered. "Where are the boys?"

She smiled that fake smile. "Boy's Daddy's here."

I smiled as the boys came running out and I was pleased to see they were dressed nicely like I'd asked.

"We going out?" Jaxson asked, flinging himself into my arm's.

"We sure are." I told him, kissing his forehead.

"We seeing Chloe?" He asked, kissing me back.

I ignored Lucy's huffing. "Yes we are."

"Good." He cried and I smiled at his enthusiasm.

"Ready?" I asked Ryder and he smiled, nodding.

"Don't forget." Lucy snapped. "We have marriage counselling on Tuesday."

I just nodded, how could I forget, it wasn't like she would let me. I was only going to shut her up, so she'd let me see the boy's, once I got the divorce underway we could sort out visiting rights then.

I helped the boy's into the car, then we made the drive to Chloe's. I told Chloe we were going out today and to be ready, but I knew once we got where we were going it wasn't going to be pleasant.

I was taking her to Harper's party. No she didn't want to go, and after she told me about what had happened I didn't blame her, but she needed some kind of closure, her family needed to see her as she was now and realise how badly they'd messed up. Maybe they could sort things out, maybe they couldn't, but I think both parties needed that opportunity.

I pulled up at Chloe's and the boys jumped out, running up to her door. Chloe opened the door smiling and the boys proceeded to disappear into the house, chasing Lucy.

"Hey." I said walking in the door and kissing her softly.

"Hey." She murmured.

I laughed as the boys ran past, Lucy right behind them. "Well Lucy likes them."

She nodded. "She does."

"You ready?" I asked her and she nodded, grabbing her purse. "Come on guys." I called out to the boys.

They ran back in and then we had to stand there for five minutes while Jaxson kissed Lucy one hundred times.

"So where are we going?" Chloe asked once we were finally in the car and on our way.

"Well." I said, reaching over and grabbing her hand. "I thought we might call by your Mother's." I said lightly.

"What?" She snapped, pulling her hand out of mine. "What is wrong with you?"

"Chloe." I said softly, grabbing her hand back. "We are just going to go, for a little bit, just so you can say you made the effort, okay, if you get uncomfortable we'll leave, just tell me okay?"

She just glared at me, which wasn't really a shock. "I can't believe you." She whispered.

"Chloe." I murmured, squeezing her hand. "You need to do this."

She didn't say anything for the rest of the trip, just staring out the window.

When we arrived at her Mother's place I got out, helping the boy's out, then opening Chloe's door. She got out, looking at me.

"It will be okay." I murmured, kissing her and god I hoped it would be okay, I didn't need Chloe hating me for this. "Ready?" And she nodded.

Jaxson turned to Chloe and insisted she carry him, she obliged, I think it made her feel a little better and I slipped my arm around her shoulder as we walked to the door, knocking.

"Mrs West." I smiled as Chloe's Mother answered the door.

"Oh my." She said with wide eye's. "You came, oh, please call me Virginia."

"Yes well we thought we'd drop by." I told her, smiling and giving Chloe's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"How are you Chloe?" Virginia asked Chloe softly but before Chloe had a chance to reply Jaxson interrupted her.

"I'm Jaxson." He told her. "Do you have cake?"

"Of course we do." Virginia told him. "Why don't you all come out to the back yard where the party is?"

She turned and headed out the back and as we followed I glanced at Chloe. She looked back at me and her eye's, and I knew right then that this was dumb idea. What the fuck had I been thinking? I didn't want to lose Chloe over this and WHAT THE HELL HAD I BEEN THINKING?

"Look who's here." Virginia called, walking out the back and everyone looked up.

Yep, this was a really bad idea. I didn't know anyone, Chloe looked uncomfortable. I recognized Jasmine and Drew and I saw another woman who resembled Chloe so I guessed she was the other sister.

"Daddy." Jaxson suddenly said. "Can I play on that?" And he pointed to a play area with a sandpit and swings and stuff.

"Of course you can young man." Virginia told him and Jaxson quickly kissed Chloe as she placed him on his feet. "Can I get either of you a drink?" She asked us.

"No thanks." I told her as Chloe shook her head.

"Oh okay, sit down." She motioned and I sat down, pulling Chloe down next to me and putting my arm around her. "Harper is over there playing." She said pointing.

"That's nice." Chloe said flatly, looking at Harper and I watched as Jaxson and Ryder, stood there, talking to Harper.

"Hello, we haven't been formerly introduced." Drew said, suddenly appearing in front of us. "I'm Drew."

I looked at him and he looked like a dick, he really did. "Matt." I told him. "Chloe's boyfriend."

He nodded, barely glancing at me and looking at Chloe. "You're looking good Chloe." He murmured to her and I wanted to grab him by the throat.

Damn right she was looking good, she was looking fucking perfect and she was all mine so he could back off.

I looked over at Jasmine and yeah I could see why he was looking at Chloe, Jasmine was mildly attractive, but compared to Chloe, she was nothing.

I was pleased to see Chloe just glared at him, refusing to answer.

"Chloe for Christ sake." He snapped.

I glared at him. He wasn't speaking to her like that and getting away with it and I looked up at him, getting ready to confront him when we interrupted by a horrible screeching sound.

"HOW DARE YOU." And I looked up to see Harper standing face to face with Ryder, screaming at him. "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?"

It was all too familiar, a little too familiar.

I stood up. "Jaxson Ryder, we're going." I called to them. "We're going." I told Chloe and she jumped to her feet.

I herded the boys through the house, Chloe right behind me.

"Please don't go." Virginia called following us. "Harper just has a little bit of a temper."

"Do you think." I muttered unlocking the car and putting the boy's in.

I didn't even bother saying goodbye to her, I just started the car and drove. I drove straight back to Chloe's, pulling up out the front.

"So I'm just going to hang out with boy's today." I told her flatly.

She looked at me frowning. "Um okay."

"Yeah so I'll see you later."

She frowned again before opening her door and getting out. I didn't even watch her walk to the door, I was too mad.

I couldn't believe what had happened and I couldn't believe what I'd seen.

I'd given Chloe every opportunity to tell me everything and I thought she had.

Chloe was lying to me.