A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 62

Matt's POV

I tried to keep Chloe calm. She was a bundle of nerves, not that I could blame, seeing her daughter was a huge deal and I was happy for her.

I made us dinner, although it was pretty late by the time we'd gotten home and by the time I made it.

"It will be fine." I told Chloe as we sat at the table eating.

She smiled and nodded. "I know, it's just, god it's so close to the holidays and I can't help thinking that maybe I'll actually get to see my daughter for the first time ever."

I leant over, kissing her forehead. "I'm sure you'll get to see her for the holidays." And I hoped she did, she deserved it.

We finished eating and then we cleaned up together. Chloe was a ball of nervousness and she kept fidgeting.

"Ready for bed?" I asked her after we tried to watch a little bit of a movie. Chloe couldn't sit still so it was kind of pointless.

"Yep." She smiled. "You go get ready and I'll take Lucy out."

I went and cleaned my teeth, then laid in bed waiting for Chloe. She took awhile, but eventually she came in, all dressed in her pyjama's and ready for bed.

"Shut the door." I told her softly, smiling. "And take off those damn pyjama's."

She raised her eyebrow's at me, but she closed the door and then slowly removed her pyjama's. I couldn't help but watch every move she made, she was just so damn beautiful.

I needed to take her mind of tomorrow and I did, taking my time, making it last, loving her and fuck, it was fabulous.

"Can I let Lucy in now?" Chloe whispered in the dark as we were laying there, naked, cuddling.

"Yes." I whispered, kissing her forehead.

I listened as she got up, opening the door and as she got back in bed I pulled her close to me, smiling as I felt Lucy jump up and make herself comfortable.

"Now sleep." I murmured, kissing her softly. "You need it."

"Goodnight." She whispered, kissing me back. "I love you."

I smiled like an idiot in the dark. I'd told Chloe that I loved her earlier and it had gotten lost in all the excitement of Harper and to be honest I wasn't sure if she'd even heard me, but I guess she did and it was true, I was in love with her, I wasn't afraid to let her know.

"I love you." I whispered. "Now sleep."

I laid there until eventually I felt Chloe's body relax and her breathing deepen, then I closed my eye's, drifting to sleep. God I was happy, just being here with her was making me happy.

When I opened my eye's again the sun was up and the clock said 9.38am. I'd slept in but damn it felt good.

I looked at the bed. It was just me and Lucy and as I moved a little she opened her eye's, smiling her doggy smile at me.

"You stay in bed." I whispered to her, getting up and pulling on a pair of pants.

I used the bathroom then I went into the kitchen where I could hear Chloe. She was in her pyjama's, cooking away madly.

"You're spoiling me." I murmured, going up behind her and slipping my arm's around her waist. "Breakfast."

She turned, smiling and wrapping her arm's around my neck. "I like spoiling you." She murmured, kissing me softly.

"I like you spoiling me." I whispered against her lips.

"Good." She said squeezing my ass. "Now sit down and let me feed you."

I smiled, sitting down and we ate. It was nice, waking up to Chloe, having breakfast together, it was something I liked and yeah, I was in love, it was obvious.

"Why don't you go shower." I told her after we'd finished. "Get ready and I'll clean up here."

She agreed, dropping a kiss on my lips before heading into the shower.

I would have liked to join her, let me tell you, but Chloe's mind was elsewhere this morning and I smiled to myself. I was glad she was spending time with Harper and I was glad I was here to share it with her.

After she finished I went and showered and then we sat and waited, me trying to take Chloe's mind off of things.

"It will be fine babe." I murmured to her again. "We'll have fun." And we would, I was determined to make it a special day for Chloe and for Harper.

She looked at me, fear in her eye's. "Thank you." She whispered. "For everything."

I kissed her, long and hard. She shouldn't be thanking me, I should be thanking her, for everything. She saved me, she helped me find myself again and she brought out the best in me.

Suddenly the doorbell interrupted us and Chloe sat there, looking stunned.

"Go." I said kissing her nose. "I'll wait in the kitchen, give you space."

She nodded, standing up and as we parted I squeezed her hand. "It's fine Chloe."

She smiled at me and I headed into the kitchen, sitting down and listening.

"Oh hi." I heard Drew say as Chloe opened the door. "We're here."

"Hi." Chloe said softly. "Hi Harper."

"Hi Chloe." Harper said and I smiled, she sounded happy.

"So anyway." Drew went on. "You look really good Chloe."

I frowned. What the fuck was that supposed mean?

"Thanks." Chloe replied.

"So I thought the three of us could hang out today." Drew said. "Go to lunch and stuff."

I stood up. In his fucking dreams. The girl's were hanging out with me, not that fucking loser.

"Hey everyone." I said walking in as the same time Lucy decided to drag her ass out of bed.

"Hi." Harper said smiling at me and automatically falling to her knee's, showering Lucy with affection.

"Oh Matt." Drew said dryly.

I just smiled at him.

"Well yeah." Drew muttered, obviously put out by my appearance. "I guess I'll go and I'll be back around seven tonight."

"Okay sounds great." Chloe told him smiling.

She was smiling at him. She should have been telling him to go fuck himself.

"So." Chloe said closing the door and turning to face me. "How are you Harper?"

Harper stood up, looking at Chloe.

Jesus, they were like twins. Everyone had to know that Harper was Chloe's child, they were virtually identical, it was uncanny.

"I'm good." She said softly, smiling at Chloe.

"So ladies." I said, addressing both of them. "Why don't we go for a drive, maybe stop for lunch somewhere?"

Chloe smiled at me, reaching out and taking my hand. "Sounds good." She said. "Harper?"

I squeezed her hand gently as we both looked at Harper, waiting for her to reply.

"Sure." She said. "Can Lucy come?"

"Of course she can." Chloe laughed and I saw her visibly relax.

Once Chloe relaxed, I relaxed. Today was going to be a good day. I was spending it with my beautiful girlfriend and her daughter. It couldn't get any better.