Status: comments would be appreciated :)

Sterling's Daughter

Chapter 5

When Laya walked out of school the next afternoon, she spotted Will sitting at a table with a bunch of other boys, tapping away at his phone.
"How can he have friends?" she muttered to Kirsty. "Wait here."
"What are you doing?" Kirsty hissed. Laya just smirked at her.
She walked up behind Will and squirted her water from her drink bottle all over his head. His startled yell attracted the attention from many people, and those nearest to him and Laya began to laugh. He swung around, furious.
"You," he scowled.
"Yes, me," she said merrily, enjoying the seething look on his face. "Thought you looked a bit hot."
"Ooh!" one of the boys sitting next to Will broke into fresh laughter, and gave Will a gentle punch on the arm. "She likes you!"
"Excuse me?" Laya and Will asked at the same time. Laya glared at him, only to find him glaring back.
"She said you looked hot!" the boy crowed.
Realising her mistake, Laya felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment.
"Someone's going red!" another boy teased.
"Shut up, Mike," Will snapped.
"Yeah, shut up!" Laya scowled, trying to avoid bringing attention to her obviously pink cheeks. "And you know what I meant, jerks. I meant hot as in boiling, scorching, burning, and the like. Not as in good looking."
She turned around and went striding back to Kirsty. A massive grin was plastered on her friend's face.
"Awkward..." her voice trailed away as she broke into a fit of giggles. "I take it that was not your intended message?"
"Nope," Laya scowled. She stomped towards the bus.
***
Mum was working in the arena with Tempo when she and Zena hopped off the bus. Laya leaned on the rail to watch, but Zena went straight inside.
"How's he going?" she asked when Mum gave him a rub and took off his halter.
"Great! I think I might have a go at riding him tomorrow. I did a little ground work today and he's settling in just fine," Mum said. "But he's got a lot of spirit, that colt does."
"Could I ride him?" Laya asked. Mum gave her a look that questioned Laya if she'd lost her mind.
"Certainly not until I've got him calm with me on his back," she said firmly.
"But I've ridden half broken in horses before!" Laya protested.
"This one's not even half broken in," Mum said pointedly. "And before I come to any more decisions about who you can and can't ride, Juno almost kicked a hole in the fence at lunch. If you can prove to me that you can exercise her quite safely, then I'll think about the riding of this boy. Are we clear?"
"Deal," Laya bobbed her head.
"Promise me no trying to ride him without my permission," Mum looked her straight in the eyes.
"Promise," Laya nodded excitedly.
"Good," Mum ruffled her hair before walking away.
***
"Hey, Laya! Kirsty! Wait up!" a voice called from behind them, just as they were about to head into science.
"What's up, Melindy?" Kirsty asked her history classmate.
"Nothing too dramatic, yet," Melindy flicked her perfect blonde hair over her shoulders as she smirked. "My parents are out Saturday night, and I was wondering if you two could keep me company for an hour or so? After all, Laya, you only live a few houses away from me. And Rose is coming as well. Plus Mike and Dylan are coming."
Laya and Kirsty glanced at each other, then back at Melindy.
"If you ask Ty, then I'm in," Kirsty met Melindy's eyes with a challenging stare. Laya giggled.
"Deal," Melindy nodded. "I'll ask him now."
"Great, now you three girls will be flirting with the guys, and I'll be left all alone," she pretended to pout.
"I'm sure we can work something out," Melindy grinned mischievously.
"Don't you dare," Laya pointed a finger at her, feeling a twinge of worry.
Who knew what Melindy was capable of?
♠ ♠ ♠
please comment!!!