Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

fjorton

It's the night before my best friend's wedding. It would have been nice to have Patric here with me for the rehearsal dinner, but they're playing game 2 against the Capitals.

Either way, I was still going to have a good time.

I ran toward Liv when I saw her. "Okay, listen. I know you were stressed about all of this, so a bunch of us got all the centerpieces and whatever else needed done from Michael and hat's what we have been doing all day."

She hugged me. "This is incredible!"

"I am your maid of honor," I shrugged. "Making your life easier is my job."

A few minutes passed before we started to walk through the ceremony.

After the rehearsal, we all jumped into a van and headed down to Lidia's for dinner.

Upon arrival, we all noticed that they had the game on at the bar. I was hopeful for them to win this one after a tough loss a couple nights ago.

My phone buzzed.

Oh God, please don't be Adam.

It was from a number I didn't recognize.

I was just thinking about you.

I put my phone down and picked it right back up and replied.

I'm sorry, who is this?

Michael brought over my drink and I sat down to watch the game.

My phone buzzed again.

Derick. We hooked up back in March?

Well fuck. I have been so wrapped up in all this stuff with Adam that I had forgotten that that happened.

Derick Brassard. You know, that center for the New York Rangers? Yeah, him.

I'm actually surprised he didn't try to contact me while they were in Pittsburgh during the playoffs.

I sent a text back.

Oh. How have you been? Sorry for knocking you out in the playoffs.

I sat my phone down and took a swig of my drink. I looked at the TV and Hagelin had just scored a goal.

"GOOOAL!" I shouted. "Carrrrrrl!" I elbowed Liv and she just gave me this look.

Liv decided it was okay to chug her beer.

"Whoa, easy there, tiger!" I said taking the bottle away from here.

She snatched it back from me and finished the bottle. "What? I'm thirsty."

I offered to take her outside for some fresh air but she neglected my help and walked outside alone.

*bzzzz* My phone again.

I haven't been the same since that night.

Really? Is that what he's going to say to me after not contacting me for nearly 3 months?

Another text came through from him.

I'm sorry, that was too forward. I just wanted to ask you out again.

Well...

I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

I put my phone away in my purse so I could ignore him and enjoy the rest of the dinner.

Olivia came back inside and asked me if I was ready to go. "I need rest before tomorrow."

I called for an Uber to come pick us up and take us home. Olivia could barely stand.

I linked my arm with hers to help her stay up.

We made it home in time for me to get her upstairs and into bed before she passed out.

Her phone rang.

It was Carl.

"Hallå?" I answered.

"Um, hello? Is this Olivia?" He questioned.

"No, sorry. It's Arielle. Liv passed out about an hour ago. Did you need something?"

"Is she okay?"

"Why wouldn't she be?"

"Oh, never mind. Just tell her I called please."

I hung up the phone and mumbled to myself, "Yeah right."

---

It was after midnight before Michael finally returned home. I hadn't looked at my phone since before we left Lidia's. I pulled it out of my purse to find that I had 4 messages and a missed call.

The first two messages were from Derick.

Message 1: I'm sorry if I came off too strong.
Message 2: Please, I would like to see you again.

The third, from Patric:
Just seeing how things went tonight. Call me?

And the fourth, from Adam:
We need to talk.

My stomach sank after reading that fourth message. Why haven't I blocked his number yet? I'm so stupid.

I called Patric.

"Hej," I said after he answered. "Grattis på segern!"

"Ahh, you're Swedish is getting better, älskling!" He replied. "Tack!"

"We watched while at Lidia's."

"That's awesome, how'd everything else go?"

"Perfekt! It was just so wonderful, I can't wait for them to get married tomorrow!"

"That's wonderful. Where are you now?"

"I'm at Olivia's. Do you think you could pick me up? I need to talk to you about something anyway."

"Sure, I'm just getting out of the arena now. I'll be there shortly."

"Tack! See you in a bit. Hej då!"

I hung up the phone and I got another text message. It was Derick again.

I didn't even read what he sent as I replied to him:
For someone who doesn't want to be 'too forward' you surely are trying way too hard.

I already have so much on my plate.
♠ ♠ ♠
We gotta keep it interesting for y'all!