Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

trettionio

I finally arrived back home after 2 flight delays that were longer than expected.

I walked into my house and left my bag in the foyer as I went and plopped down on the couch.

I laid there for a few minutes before I heard my phone ringing.

“How did you know I got a phone back?” I asked Ellie as I answered.

“Carl called Derick, or vice versa. I don’t know with those two anymore. Anyways, how was your flight?”

“Long as hell. I am so glad to finally be home.”

I heard Derick in the background ‘ask her already!’ as Ellie tried to hush him.

“What is he going on about?”

“We want to invite you up here for a few days. Ya know, cause I haven’t seen you in about a month.”

I looked around my house and it felt so empty. “Uh, sure. This place feels lonely anyways.”

We made plans for me to fly out a few days from now so I could get rested up.

After about 20 minutes, I decided to was time to get up and start unpacking and laundry.

I groaned as I dragged my suitcase up my stairs and threw it on the bed.

I was in the middle of sorting out my clothes to wash when I heard ‘Break Your Heart’ by Taio Cruz playing.

I looked around wondering where it was coming from when I realized my phone was lit up. I laughed when I saw Carl calling.

“Really?” I answered still laughing.

“What? Oh the ringtone! Yeah I knew you’d like that one.” I could hear his smile in his voice.

I nodded. “I really did. It fits.”

He chuckled. “How was your flight?”

I sighed as I looked at all my laundry. “Long, and now I am wishing I didn’t go for a month. So much laundry and so little time to do it in considering I’m leaving again in a few days.”

“Where you going?”

“Going to see Ellie for a few days. I haven’t seen her in about a month and have some catching up to do.”

“Knulla! I forgot to ask you sooner, what are you doing the weekend before the 4th of July?”

I raised my eyebrow wondering what was going on. “I don’t know, probably still going to be in New York, why?”

I took a deep breath. “I’m in my pal’s wedding, and wanted to know if you’d be my date.”

I smiled. “Can’t wait until September?”

“No,” he said sternly. “And if this vacation was refundable, I’d come back to Pittsburgh right now.”

I ran my hand through my hair. “Carl-”

“Olivia.”

I thought for a minute. “Okay fine. I’ll be your date. But on one condition.”

“Anything.”

“I don’t have anything to wear. So I need a dress.”

“Done.”

“And shoes.”

He paused. “Okay.”

“And probably some jewelry to match.”

He sighed. “Liv.”

“Yes?” I asked sweetly.

He chuckled. “Anything for you.”

“Even if Ellie needs something?”

“Even if Ellie needs something. Although she has Derick’s money.”

I smiled as I yawned. “Okay. Go have fun with your friends. I need to either start laundry or go to bed.”

“Go get some sleep min kärlek. I will get a hold of you tomorrow.”

We said our goodbyes as we hung up. Soon after I was falling into my bed as I texted Ellie.

So Carl just invited me to a wedding first weekend of July. Shopping spree? He’s buying!

A few minutes later, I got my response.

is that even a question?

I smiled and put my phone on the table beside the bed. Soon after I was fast asleep.

------------------------------

The day before I was leaving, I was running around like a chicken with it’s head chopped off trying to get everything ready.

I was shoving the last load of laundry into the dryer when the Best Friend song from ‘The Hangover’ started playing.

I groaned as I put the basket down and pulled my phone out.

“Who the hell set my ringtones?” I asked Derick.

He laughed. “I told Carl it was perfect for us!”

I rolled my eyes. “What do you want Brassard? I am kinda busy.”

“I need to ask your opinion on something.”

I put the phone between my shoulder and ear and picked my basket up to carry it upstairs.

“I’m listening.”

“What if I ask Ellie to marry me?”

I almost dropped my phone as I tripped up the steps from shock.

“Shit!” I yelled as I fell.

“Liv? You okay?”

I rubbed my knee as I looked at the clean clothes sprawled all over the steps. “Yeah you just surprised me and I tripped up my steps. But do you want to marry her?”

“I mean, well yeah. I love her and-”

I laughed. “Love isn’t the only thing Derick. Can you see yourself spending the rest of your life with her? Or are you doing this so when you sign with another team she goes with you?”

He sighed. “You talked to Carl didn’t you?”

“Well yeah, but he told me you really did love her, which I do believe. You saved her from self destruction when I couldn’t. The question is, twenty years down the road, when you are retired and old, do you see her beside you?”

“Yes.” He said without skipping a beat. “I can see myself with her surrounded by our 5 children.”

I laughed. “Five kids might be a bit much. But okay. You have my blessing Brassard. But believe this, you hurt her in anyway, I will find you, and I will rip your precious nuts off. Got it?”

“Aye aye captain. But don’t worry, that won’t happen. But now for your part, I need your help finding a ring.”

I rolled my eyes. “How am I supposed to do that? Ellie is always around.”

“I have sort of a plan. When you go to loverboy for the wedding, I will go with you, stating I need to meet with some teams up there. Then after the wedding, I’ll fly back with you to Pittsburgh and we can have best friend time!”

I laughed. “Careful, the last guy to call me his best friend fell in love with me.”

He paused for minute. “Oh but Liv, but I do love you, like a little sister!”

“Gee thanks, and how are you going to get this past Ellie?” I asked gingerly getting up off the step I was sitting on.

“Oh I got this. I’ll have Mats come over. She loves Mats.”

I sighed. “Okay fine. I guess I can go ring shopping with you. Since apparently you can’t do it by yourself.”

“Hey, I’m a guy. What do you expect?”

“True story. But I need to go finish packing and ice my knee. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

I hung up and picked up all my clothes and threw them back in the basket before finishing the trip to my room.

I folded my clothes and finally got to sit down on my bed and prop my knee up as my phone pinged signaling a message from Carl.

i miss you

I smiled and called him.

“Well I wasn’t expecting a phone call.” He answered on the first ring.

“What? I can’t miss you too? Fine, I guess I’ll hang up now.” I joked.

“Funny Liv. Really. What are you doing?”

I repositioned on my bed. “Icing my knee thanks to Derick. He thought a good time to ask me if marrying Ellie was a good idea when I had hands full going up stairs.”

“Yeah well that’s Derick for you.” He said chuckling.

I sighed as I turned the television on. “So what are you up to?”

“Watching this sunrise, wishing you were still here.”

I smiled. “I don’t know how you’re gonna make an entire summer Hagelin.”

“I don’t know either to be honest. I get the cup in August, you should come to Sweden.”

I groaned. “Carl, I told you, I need to get things ready for school. Plus, I cannot afford it.”

“I’ll pay for it. That’s not a problem.”

I shook my head. “No. I cannot and will not let you do that.”

I heard him groan. “So who am I going to celebrate with?”

“I don’t know, you bff Patric?” I said laughing.

He groaned. “Fine. But you owe me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say, but I need to go finish packing or else I will never get out of here on time tomorrow.

“Okay, text me and let me know you made it safe.”

I chuckled. “Okay father.”

He sighed and mumbled. “I’ll show you who your daddy is.”

I laughed. “Oh will you now?”

He chuckled. “Goodbye love.”

I shook my head as I hung up the phone.

What was I gonna do with him?

--------------------------------

When I landed at JFK, I turned my phone back on to see a text from Ellie.

If we’re not there when you land, it’s Derick’s fault

I laughed as I made my way down to the baggage claim. Ten minutes later, I had my bags, but still no Ellie or Derick.

I sat there for another fifteen minutes before I called Ellie.

‘Liv, I’m sorry. We’ll be there as soon as we can be.’ Ellie answered sounding pissed.

I laughed. ‘I’ve missed you two so much.’

I heard Derick yelling in the background. ‘Couldn't you have just jumped from the plane when you flew over our apartment?’

I rolled my eyes. ‘Sure Derick. That wouldn’t have made a big scene or anything. Good call.’

Ellie apologized for him as I saw them pull up to the arrivals terminal.

She jumped out of the car before it had even stopped and came to hug me.

“Derick grab her bag.” Ellie said as we walked back to the car arm in arm.

“What do I look like? A bag boy?” He grumbled as he grabbed my suitcases.

“Yes!” We both exclaimed laughing.

----------------------------

As we were sitting in traffic heading back into the city, I told them all about my time in Hawaii.

“It was just so gorgeous out there. I could live on the beach forever.”

“It’s sounds so beautiful Liv, but I am still wondering how Carl found you.” Ellie said.

I shrugged as Derick shifted in his seat and exclaimed “Oh fuck!”

I punched his arm. “You fucking told him didn’t you?”

He rubbed his arm. “It might have been, and don’t punch the driver!”

I sat back with my arms crossed, fueling with anger. “I cannot fucking believe you.”

He put one of his hands up. “I was drunk! I think… yeah probably.”

I rolled my eyes as Ellie defended me. “She confided in you to keep that secret.”

“Well he said he was going there anyways.”

We both hit him as we exclaimed. “You knew?!”

“Ow! Well, it worked out for the best didn’t it? You didn’t kill each other.”

I sighed as I pulled out my phone to text Carl.

so i just heard something interesting

oh?

yeah… something about tricking derick into telling you where i was

It took him a few minutes to answer.

liv, let me explain

I laughed as Derick pulled into his garage.

I’ll see you in a couple days. Ciao.

I threw my phone in my purse as I followed them across the street.

“Dude I thought something happened to you!” I heard some guy exclaim as he came out of Derick’s building.

Ellie leaned over as they were arguing about video games. “That’s Mats. Teammate.”

I nodded as he turned his attention to me. “Oh hello there. Who’s your friend?”

“Dude, this is Olivia. But unless you want Hags to kill you, I’d stay far away.” Derick interjected.

“Min feil. Jeg er Mats. Glede å møte deg, Olivia.” He said as he took my hand and kissed it.

I tried not to laugh as Ellie and Derick gave him an odd look.

“Oh sorry, I like speaking my native language when I meet a beautiful woman. You know, try to swoon them.”

I rolled my eyes. “Well, it kind of worked. But Swedish is more my flavor.”

Derick almost died of laughter as Mats looked so defeated.

“I have been conquered, by my own best friend.” He said as we got up to the apartment.

Derick cleared his throat as he pointed to himself.

“One of my best friends?” Mats guessed.

As Derick nodded, me and Ellie started laughing.

This was going to be an interesting few days.

------------------------------------

The next morning, I woke up to the boys playing NHL on the XBox.

“Do you guys ever stop?” I asked as I poured myself a cup of coffee.

“Nope.” They both answered not looking up from the television.

A few minutes later, Mats came walking to the kitchen.

“Mitt hjerte, you’re even more beautiful in the morning.”

I laughed. “You really don’t quit do you?”

He shook his head and smiled as he grabbed a banana and passed Derick on his way out the kitchen.

“We need to talk about tomorrow.” I said as I sat down at the table.

He nodded as he followed suit. “So the plan is that I am going to Ottawa for some meetings when you go to this wedding.”

“Okay, have you told El?”

“Uh no. But I will.”

Right then, Ellie came into the kitchen and gave us a look when we got silent. I sipped on my coffee as she grabbed a bowl of cereal and wandered into the living room with Mats.

We talked a bit more about Mission: Find Derick the Perfect Ring until Ellie came back into the kitchen.

Derick pretended to read the paper, of course the idiot had it upside down.

I sighed as Ellie continued to give us an odd look. I smiled at her as she went to go shower.

I hit the paper out of Derick’s hand. “If you’re gonna pretend to read, at least have the paper the right way.”

He shrugged as I got up and put my mug in the sink and went to go get ready.

Shortly after, we told the boys bye and were off to Fifth Ave.

Half of the day, I listened to Ellie go on and on about Derick.

I rolled my eyes as we got in front of Victoria's Secret. “You’re so in love. Makes me wanna puke.”

She giggled. “Is it that obvious?”

“Yup, and now we are gonna buy you a lil somethin’ somethin’ for your man.”

She groaned as I pulled her into the store.

“Oh come on, you never know when a special occasion will come up.” I said as I picked her out something red and lacy.

She narrowed her eyes and yanked it out of my hands. “Fine, but I might as well get a few other things.”

As she walked around the store, I checked my phone to see a couple missed calls and a text from Carl.

liv answer your phone. I need to explain

I sighed as I put my phone back in my purse, and thought of a perfect plan.

I smiled as I picked a few things up and went up front to pay.

“Jesus Liv, you trying to give Carl a heart attack?” Ellie asked as she walked up to the counter.

“Pretty much.” I said as I motioned to sales clerk to add Ellie’s stuff to mine.

We grabbed our bags after giving the clerk Carl’s card information and walked out the door.

“On to dress shopping!” I exclaimed.

A few stores later, we ended up at BCBG.

“How about this one?” I said as I came out of the fitting room in a black Veira lace gown.

Ellie made a face. “I love it, but, are you going to a wedding or a funeral?”

I looked at myself in the mirror. “Good point, let me try on the other one.”

The next one, a coral short lace dress.

I came out in it and Ellie’s eyes lit up.

“That’s more like it. You’re gonna knock his socks off.”

I smiled and went back to change.

After picking out shoes and a few other things, I was headed to check out.

She shook her head as the clerk ran everything up.

“What? He’s paying so I might as well buy everything!”

She laughed. “Whatever you say!”

---------------------

When we got back to the apartment, the guys were gone.

“Uh El, should we be worried?” I asked as I put my bags in my room.

She shrugged. “I texted Derick. He said give them a few.”

A couple minutes later, Derick came through the door with flowers for Ellie. I rolled my eyes as I saw Mats walk in with a case of beer.

“I’d say this is for you, but really, it’s for me.” Mats motioned to the beer. “But this is for y- dude! I forgot it in the car!”

He told me not to touch his beer as I was reaching for it and ran out the door. A few minutes later, he came back in with a bottle of wine.

My eyes lit up. “You know the way to my heart!”

He mumbled something about me and wine drunk.

“What was that about getting me wine drunk?” I jokingly asked.

“Hmm? Nothing.”

I remembered the conversation with Carl and smiled. “Hey, I am single. I am allowed to mingle.”

His face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning.

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing. “But just remember, you’re not Swedish.”

I heard Derick and Ellie laugh as Mats grabbed his chest. “Dagger to the heart man.”
------------------------

Later on that night, we were all in the living room drinking as Ellie announced she was going to bed.

I booed her as Mats poured me another glass of wine.

“So have you told Liv that you’re proposing?” Mats asked as he grabbed another beer.

“Dude shut up! El might hear you.”

“Please.” I said as I hiccupped. “She sleeps like a log. But yes, who do you think is helping pick out the ring?”

Shortly later, Derick headed to bed, leaving me and Mats to our drunken stupor.

“Livvy, let’s play hockey.” He said as he tried to grab the controller.

I laughed as I got an idea.

“Oh my God no. Let’s prank call Carl!” I slurred.

He eyes lit up and he nodded. He grabbed his phone to dial then paused.

“Wait, he knows both of our numbers, how we gonna prank him?”

I shrugged. “I guess it won’t be a secret prank then!”

Mats laughed as he dialed Carl’s number and put it on speaker.

‘What up.’

‘CORAL.’ We both yelled as we collapsed in fits of laughter.

‘Mats, are you drunk?’

‘I don’t know, here ask Liv.’

‘Liv?’ Carl questioned. ‘Why are you with Liv?’

‘Drinking obviously, duh. Use your- Mats what’s this called - Oh! Your head!’ I responded.

I heard Carl sigh. ‘Olivia.’

I hiccupped. ‘Carl.’

Mats pointed to himself. ‘Mats!’

I fell on the ground in laughter.

‘Seriously Liv, why are you with Mats?’ Carl said as I could tell he was getting angry.

‘What do you care? We aren’t dating. We’re friends.’ I slurred, putting air quotes around friends.

‘Yeah! She’s mitt hjerte.’ Mats said as he took another swig of beer.

I heard Carl curse under his breath. ‘Mats, I will kill you if you touch any part of her, do you understand that?’

‘Oh scary Carl! All the way in Hawaii!’ Mats said shaking his hands.

I slapped his chest. ‘No silly, he’s in Canada. I gets to be his date tomorrow at this wedding.’

‘If you two keep this up, I will fly down there down right now.’ Carl threatened.

‘Pssh, whatever Coral. We’re just trying to have some fun.’ Mats interjected. ‘Besides, she said Norwegian isn’t her flavor, Swedish is.’

I heard Carl chuckle as I smiled. ‘I think you two together is worse than Derick and Liv together. Liv go get some sleep. Seriously. I need you at 100% tomorrow.’

I rolled my eyes. ‘Just to be some arm candy?’

‘No. After the wedding. Drink some water before you pass out too.’ He said as he hung up.

“He is worse than my father.” I said as I leaned against the couch.

Mats joined me on the floor. “I think that’s a sign that he cares.”

I put my head on his shoulder. “You comfy.”

“Mmmhmm.” He mumbled as he pulled me closer and closed his eyes.

A few minutes later, we were both asleep.