Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

fyrtioett

Ellie better say yes when I ask her to marry me. I freaking hate lying to her.

I sighed as I waited for Olivia to say her goodbyes with Carl.

“Okay lovebirds. We got a plane to catch.” I said taping my invisible watch on my wrist.

Olivia rolled her eyes and kissed Carl bye as she came running towards me.

“You are so impatient. Ellie isn't going to stay mad at you forever. Besides, I told you to talk to her before we left. But no.” she said as she dug her passport out of her purse.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah yeah yeah. I'm a bad boyfriend. I get that.”

“I never said all that. You just don't use your head all the time, Der. That's a guy thing.”

We got through security and made our way to the gate.

“So are you sure she wouldn't like any of the rings I showed you? I thought they were classy!” I said as I sat down.

She gave me a look as she laughed at me.

“Your definition of classy needs redefined Brassy. Hey look I rhymed!”

I sighed. “I just want something perfect for her. She deserves it.”

Olivia nodded as she patted my knee. “I know she does. Trust me. With everything she has been through in the past, I'm so glad you came into her life.”

I gave her a smile as I sat back and waited to board.

Ellie deserved the world, and by god, I'm gonna give it to her.

----------------------

“So Liv, you and Carl finally together or does the soap opera continue?” I asked as we made our way through customs in Pittsburgh.

She rolled her eyes as she smiled. “I guess we are official. Last night, he said he was tired of the games we were playing. And I agreed.”

I nodded. “And then woke me up in the middle of the night, laughing and being all loud. Don't even try to pretend nothing happened.”

She blushed. “I wasn't going to, besides you act like you and Ellie haven't done the same to me several times.”

I shrugged as I threw my arm around her. “All in the name of love my dear.”

“So what do you want to do first Brassard, eat or go ring shopping.” Liv asked me as we finally got our bags.

As soon as she mentioned food, my stomach rumbled.

“Well I think that settles that.” I said patting my stomach as she laughed.

---------------------------

Shortly after, Liv pulled her car into Primanti Brothers. I gave her a skeptical look as she laughed at me.

“Calm down Derick. It's some good shit. I mean, you're marrying a Pittsburgher, might as well eat like one.”

I followed her into the restaurant as she grabbed us a table.

I just stared at the menu as she ordered us both drinks and sandwiches.

“Uh Liv, what are these sandwiches? And what the hell are you drinking?” I asked as the waitress put my beer in front of me.

She rolled her eyes as she took a drink of the blue liquid contraption in front of her. “A drunk duck. And they are yummy deliciousness. You'll see.”

About ten minutes later, the food was brought out.

I just stared at the sandwich before me as she dug in.

“Olivia, what is this monstrosity?”

“It's called a Pittsburgher. Just eat it. I promise it’s delicious.” she said in between bites.

“But,” I said picking up half the sandwich, “who in their right mind put fries on a sandwich?”

She gave me a blank stare. “Brassard. I swear to God. Just eat it.”

I made a face before taking a bite as she sat there waiting for my reaction.

I nodded. “Hey this isn't that bad.”

She sighed and shook her head as she went back to her sandwich.

“Ellie would be so disappointed in you right now.” She groaned.

My head shot up. “Fuck. I forgot to text her this morning.”

Olivia snorted. “Good job Derick.”

I gave her the finger as I pulled my phone out.

hey love. Meetings are going great. I'll be home tmrw. Love you.

“You think she's buying the hockey meetings excuse?” Liv asked.

I shrugged. “No idea. She was pissed at me a couple days ago cause I left that note. But I think she understands.”

As the waitress brought the check, my phone pinged.

see you then.

I sighed as Olivia went for the check before I grabbed it from her.

“Derick I can pay.”

I shook my head as I pulled my wallet out.

“No I got it.” As I threw some cash on the table. “You ready?”

She nodded as we left the restaurant and drove to the first ring shop.

“Okay, oh wise one, what kind of ring would Ellie love?” I asked Liv as we looked around.

“Something simple, but elegant. She wouldn't want a yellow gold band, so white gold.”

I nodded and pointed to a ring. “Like this one?”

She came over and as soon as she saw the ring, her eyes lit up.

“Maybe you do have some class Brassard. That one is perfect.”

I smiled and motioned for the sales clerk.

This is it. I'm gonna ask Ellie to marry me.

---------------------------

Later that night, we were hanging at Liv’s house, eating Chinese.

I looked over at her and saw her smiling at her phone.

I put my Lo Mein down and cleared my throat.

“How did you know that Michael wasn't the one you were supposed to marry? What about Carl made you not walk down that altar?”

She shrugged. “I was with Michael for so many years, and I thought he was the one. But when I met Carl,” she smiled, “I felt something that I had never felt with Michael. And when Carl sent me that note and this bracelet the morning of my wedding, I just knew in my heart I was making a mistake. What does this have to do with you and El?”

I sighed. “I just want to make sure I make her feel the same way, because I honestly do not know what I would do without her. She makes it all brighter.”

“Well then I really don't think you have anything to worry about Der. The way she was talking about you in New York, I think you could commit murder and she would still think you are perfect.” she laughed.

“I sure hope so. So about you and Carl, I'm happy you guys finally got to a good place.”

She nodded. “Me too. He keeps trying to convince me to go to Sweden for when he gets the Cup, but I'm a broke ass bitch. Besides, I have so much to do here before school starts up.”

Then it hit me. “Well wait. Ellie mentioned something about going over there the guys’ Cup days. How about me and you go over for a couple days and surprise her and Carl?”

Her eyes lit up. “That would be amazing! And a perfect time to propose!”

I laughed. “Hold on, I haven't decided when yet. I mean, I just got the ring!”

She chuckled. “Just think about it Derick.”

Maybe she's right. A Swedish proposal does sound perfect.