Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

femtio

Today was the day.

The day I propose to the love of my life.

I skipped down the stairs the next morning and joined Ellie and Malin in the kitchen.

“Well someone sure is chipper this morning.” Ellie said as she took a drink of her coffee.

“I get to spend not one, but two days with the Stanley Cup. And I didn't even have to do anything for it!”

Ellie rolled her eyes and Malin laughed as Olivia walked into the kitchen.

“So the guys are setting up down by the lake. All we are missing is the Cup and us.” she said as she sat down beside Ellie.

I looked at her and nudged my head towards the hallway. She gave me a quizzical look until I pointed that direction. She rolled her eyes as she hopped off the chair and followed me.

“What is it Derick?” she asked as we were out of earshot of Ellie.

“You got it?”

She smiled. “This is sounding like a drug deal now Derick.”

I rolled my eyes. “The ring. You still have it right?”

Her eyes got big. “Didn't I give it to you in New York?”

I vigorously shook my head. “No. You showed me it to prove you had it and then you supposedly put it back in your purse. I need it today.”

“Der, I swear I don't have it. I could have sworn I gave it to you.”

I ran my hands through my hair. “I think I'm gonna be sick.”

Her concerned face slowly turned into a smile as she tried to hold back a laugh. I shot her a look.

“You do have the ring don't you?”

She nodded and she chuckled. “Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Fucking with you is so much fun. It's in my purse. Just let me know when you want it.”

I nodded as she walked back into the kitchen and I followed suit.

I need everything to be just perfect.

-----------------------

A few hours later, the party was in full swing. I was hanging out with Carl and Patric, smoking cigars.

“So tonight's the night huh?” Patric asked.

I nodded as Carl asked “What's tonight?”

“He's proposing to Ellie.” Patric said tipping his glass to me.

Carl patted me on the back. “About time man. You've had that ring for awhile now.”

I nodded as I looked over at Ellie talking with Olivia. “I needed to wait for the perfect time. And you guys are like family to her. So it seemed fitting to do it now.”

“So where's the ring? We wanna check it out.” Patric said after taking a puff of his cigar.

“Carl's incubator over there has it.” I said as he lightly punched my arm. “I would have lost it to be honest if I held on to it.”

“Well whenever you want to do it man, it's cool.” Patric said and he reached out to shake my hand.

I nodded to them and walked over to the girls. I kissed Ellie on the cheek as I stole Liv away from them.

“What's up Brassy? You're gonna do it now are you?” She asked opening her bag.

I put my hand on hers to stop her. “No. But I need you to do me a favor when I do. Can you FaceTime Shane? I've been in contact with him and he knows I am proposing tonight, but I want him to seem like he is here for her, ya know? The rest of you guys are, so why not him?”

She smiled as she gave me a hug. “I don’t think you know what that is going to mean to Ellie.”

I shrugged. “I just want this to be perfect for her. She has sacrificed so much for me. I just want her to know that even though I don't deserve her, I love her and want to spend forever with her.”

She fanned her eyes. “Okay Brassard. I'm crying already and told myself I wouldn't. So when do you want the ring?”

“After the party. I want the moment to be perfect.”

-------------------------

After the party had ended, we all were sitting around the fire. Olivia in Carl's lap, snuggled in his chest, and Patric and Malin surrounding the Cup, enjoying their last few moments with it.

And Ellie, my beautiful Ellie, had her head on my shoulder.

“The last two days have been a perfect ending to the summer.” Carl said as he kissed the top of Liv’s head.

Everyone agreed as I cleared my throat and stood up. Ellie gave me a strange look as I helped her up.

“What's going on Derick?” she asked as I walked over to Liv, where she handed me the ring and smiled.

I turned back to Ellie and took a breath. “Ellie, I don't deserve you. You are the most innocent, caring person I know. You have made sacrifices for me that I would never ask you to do, such as uprooting your life to be with me. When we argue, I can never be mad with you. The idea of you not being in my life makes me feel so empty inside, and that scares me because I have never felt this way before. We didn't meet in the conventional way, and that's okay, because it works for us.”

I got on my knee and opened the ring box. “I guess what I am trying to get to is that I want you in my life now and forever. I see myself in 50 years with you and I am excited to see what our future holds. So, Ellie, will you marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
We hit 50! Holy balls batman!

You guys are awesome and we love you all.