Days of Black and Gold

This Ain't No Fairy Tale

“I can’t believe you leave in the morning.”

Nuzzling into Sidney’s bare chest, I sighed. “I can’t believe it either.”

The week had flown past, and our relationship was becoming more intense by the day. It was hard to believe that I could be so into someone who was so different from the people I usually dated.

“What if you stayed?”

“I have a job I have to get back to, Sid.”

“There are only a couple months left in the season.”

“And then there are the playoffs.”

“Come to Pittsburgh after we eliminate them.”

“Very modest of you,” I chuckled, kissing his ribs. “Sid, I can’t just leave my job.”

“I’ll help you find a job here.” He turned onto his side so he was facing me. “You can live here, if you want, or I can help you find a place closer to downtown. Some of those places are really beautiful.”

“Sid,” I breathed, closing my eyes at the overwhelming amount of words coming my way.

“Just listen,” he whispered, caressing my cheek. “I know that this is new, and it’s scary, but I don’t want to be hard, too. The distance makes it so hard. It may be selfish, but I want to be able to see you everyday. I want to be able to hold you and kiss you and have sex with you. God, do I want to have sex with you.”

I smiled, but stayed silent, knowing just how hard it was for him to be this open and vulnerable.

“I think I’m falling in love with you, Margot.”

“I think I’m falling in love with you, too, Sidney.”

“So, move to Pittsburgh. Be here with me.”

“You’re asking me to drop everything, and move in with you after two weeks. People are going to think I’m insane.”

“Who cares what other people think?” Sidney asked, stroking my hair back from my face. “And it wouldn’t be until the season is over. I really don’t want to you to quit you job or anything like that.”

“I wasn’t planning on leaving the Caps,” I informed him. “I love that job, Sid. It’s going to be incredibly hard to just leave.”

“Are you saying you’ll do it?” Sidney perked up. “You’ll move to Pittsburgh after the season is over?”

“Give me some time once I get back to Washington to figure out a few things. I mean, I just signed a new lease last month. I’ll have to talk to my landlord, see what I can do about shortening it, or subletting. And then there’s the money. I spent a lot more than I expected while I was here.”

Sidney opened his mouth to comment, but I stopped him quickly.

“I’m not going to be dependent on you, Sid. I couldn’t imagine doing something like that. Plus, it’s not like I’m moving the minute I get back to Washington, either, but I do need to make sure I have the savings to pickup and go, especially to a new state.”

“I’m so glad you’ve agreed to this. I’ve been thinking about it for the past couple of days, and was so worried you would think it was ridiculous.”

“I do find it ridiculous,” I giggled, taking a hold of his face and pecking his lips. “But, I’m definitely happy you asked. Hold on, how are your parents going to feel about this?”

Dropping onto his back once more, he let out a slow breath and pulled me up against his naked body. “Mom’s going to be pissed, but Dad really likes you. He thinks you’re great.”

“I made the worst first impression,” I groaned, lightly making designs on his chest with my finger. “Your dad was unbelievably nice to me.”

“Mom was not super pleased that I had a female friend, as she said, staying with me.”

“I just wish I hadn’t been half naked and dancing around like a psycho.”

“Maybe you can make a better impression over the summer.”

“Why would I be seeing your parents during the summer?”

“I am hoping you’ll consider spending it in Nova Scotia with me.”

A smile spread across my face so widely that for a brief moment I was worried it would stay like that.

“I’m going to assume that means yes?”

“I couldn’t think of anything better to do,” I agreed. “I’ve never travelled to Nova Scotia before.”

“We’ll spend a lot of time on the water,” Sidney explained, running a hand down my hair. “How are your parents going to react to you moving?”

“The moving won’t be an issue,” I mumbled into his chest. “It’ll be who I’m moving in with that will make Mom go insane. Pappy will be happy, I hope. He did basically the same thing when he met Charles, it just took them a bit longer.”

“You really think your mom will freak out?”

“Yes,” I nodded, running my hand down his chest. “She freaked out last time I said I was moving in with someone, so this time will be worse because of who you are.”

“You’ve moved in with someone before?” Sidney propped himself up on his elbows.

“Uh, yeah,” I grumbled, mentally kicking myself for letting it slip. I had yet to tell Sidney about having an ex-fiancée, and knew that the door of opportunity was closing all too quickly. “About three years ago.”

“What happened?”

“It didn’t work out.”

“Should I bother asking why not?”

“I don’t want to talk about it on my last night here.”

“What would you rather be talking about?”
“I’d rather not be talking,” I smirked, moving to straddle his hips. Leaning down, I connected my lips with his in an aggressive kiss. A moan escaped as his fingers slide up my sides and massaged my bare breasts. My hips ground into his as the passion in our kiss increased.

Taking control, Sidney flipped me onto my back and hovered above me with a sloppy grin on his face. As he lowered his face to mine, the doorbell rang.

“Are you expecting someone?” I whispered.

“I don’t think so,” he whispered back, before quickly pecking my lips. “Maybe they will go away.”

“I don’t think so,” I groaned, as the bell rang again.

Sidney sighed and fell next to me. “I guess I should go see who it is.” He sluggishly got up, hearing the doorbell once more, and threw on the mesh shorts he had been wearing before our earlier romp.

“I’ll go with you,” I offered, pulling his tee-shirt over my torso and grabbing a pair of exercise shorts from my bag.

Taking Sidney’s hand, we walked down the hall together, stopping at the front door.

Sidney pulled the door open, rolling his eyes at the sight of Evgeni Malkin. “What the hell, Geno?”

“I come to say goodbye to new best friend.”

“Geno, Sweetie, you could have called.”

“I call four times,” Evgeni chuckled, pushing past us. “No answer, so I come over.”

“There was a reason we didn’t answer,” I murmured, making my way to the kitchen as the boys went into the living room and sat down. I pulled the beers from the fridge and brought them over, handing one to each man. “I’m going to miss you, Geno, but I’ll be back soon enough. You can’t keep me away for too long.”

“You come back?” Evgeni raised his brows, excitedly. “When?”

“After the season,” Sidney spoke. “Margot’s going to move to Pittsburgh.”

“Bullshit,” Evgeni grinned.

“Not a lie,” I assured him. “Sid asked me to move in.”

“You say yes?”

“I said yes.”

“You too sexy for Sid. You move in with me.”

“Geno, you have a lovely family. I really don’t think you need me living there, too.”

“You really live with Sid?”

“Eh, Geno, what’s wrong with me?”

“You good man, Sid. Funny man.”

“Geno,” I chuckled, shaking my head. “He’s going to have you benched if you keep that up.”

“I joke,” Evgeni defended, holding his hands up in a surrender. “I very happy you move here. We have double date.”

“I can’t wait,” I laughed, taking a sip of beer. “I cannot wait.”