Days of Black and Gold

The Truth about You

“Margot?”

The familiar voice caused my eyelids to squeeze together tighter.

“Margot?”

“What are you doing here?” I snarled, opening my eyes.

“I think we need to talk.”

“I have nothing to say to you.”

“I miss you.”

“You need to leave before I call a nurse and have you removed.”

“Please, Mag, hear me out.”

“No,” I snapped. “You broke up with me, so I moved on.”

“I know you and Crosby aren’t together anymore. I know you’ve been living in the city alone.”

“Have you been stalking me?”

“Can we just talk?”

“Why, after all the grief you have caused, would you think I would want to see you?”

“I thought you might want to hear me out.”

“You really thought that after you stormed into Sidney’s home, and made a huge scene about you leaving me, I would want anything to do with you? I loathe you, Robin. There is nothing I want more than for you to leave me and my family alone.”

“Mag, let me just clear the air.”

“Fine,” I spat. “Sit your ass down, and tell me why you chose to clear your head.”

“Don’t do this.”

“You wanted to talk, so talk.”

“I was going to tell you. After you fooled around with Ovechkin, I started seeing someone else.”

“For how long?”

“What?”

“How long did you ‘see’ this other person?”

“Uh, until last month.”

“We were together for a year after Alex and I cheated, Robin.”

“It was easy with your irregular work hours. Then it started to get to be too much, and you were always talking to Crosby, so I figured it was best to just drop you, and keep seeing her.”

“So, now that you are single again, you thought I might be a good person to go back to?”

“It was hard to stop thinking about you.”

“Bullshit.”

“I’m being serious. Why else would I track you down and confront you at Crosby’s? Why would I show up here?”

“You’re a bit of a moron?” I suggested, cocking my brow. “What did you think I was going to say when you walked through that door?”

“I just thought maybe we could work it out, and get back together.”

“Why? We haven’t changed. I still love Sidney, and that will never change. He is the father of my children.”

“Do you think he’ll take you back?”

“That is irrelevant,” I hissed.

“Be honest with yourself, Mag.”

“After what you did? No, I don’t.”

“Do not blame me for your own stupidity.”

“You blamed me for yours.”

“Whatever,” she sighed. “If you think he’s never coming back, why don’t you move on? You did it to me, so it can’t be that hard.”

“Why are you pushing for a relationship that is never going to happen, again? Are you scared to be alone?”

“I just want to come home to you. I didn’t realise what I had when I was with you.”

“And it took two years to figure it out? I guess I don’t know how you’d want this back? We were never that good together.”

“We were good enough that you said yes to marrying me.”

“I said it because we were together for three years, and I thought I loved you.”

“What do you mean you thought you loved me?”

“I can’t honestly say that I ever loved you. The thought of us, maybe, but you as a person, I don’t think I did.”

“Bitchy.”

The raspy, Russian voice caused us to turn to the door.

“Could this day get any worse?” I groaned.

“How are you, Robin?”

“You’re a fucking asshole,” she growled.

“This is too much,” I breathed, holding a finger over the button to call a nurse. “You both need to leave.”

“We haven’t finished this discussion,” Robin said.

“Oh, this is very over,” I told her. “I want you to leave me alone, or the next time I see you I will be going to the authorities. I want nothing to do with you.”

“Fine,” she surrendered, standing up and sulking out of the room.

“As for you, Alex, you were told on many occasions that I do not want to talk to you. Get it through your thick skull, I have nothing to say to you. I don’t want to hear anything you have to say.”

“Maggie, I want to say I’m sorry.”

“I don’t care.”

“You are my best friend.”

“You certainly had a funny way of showing it.”

“I’m sorry.”

“That doesn’t change anything. You broke our entire friendship, and that is something we can never get back. I don’t trust you.”

He opened his mouth to speak again.

“Just don’t,” I said, shaking my head. “Please leave. I need to rest before the twins wake up again.”

“Maggie.”

“Please, Alex. Just leave.”

He let out a heavy breath, but obeyed my request.

‘I cannot handle this,’ I thought, suddenly feeling overwhelmed with emotion. Leaning back, I let my eyes close once again.

“Ms Fayne?”

“For the love of God,” I breathed, cracking an eyelid.

“I have those forms you requested.”

“Thank you,” I forced, taking them from the nurse.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes,” I lied. “I’m just a bit knackered.”

“Get some rest,” she smiled. “The paper work can wait.”